• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Non-resident LTC

Hello,
I am new to the forum. Thanks to the folks who post here... very informative.
I am a PA resident with a PA CCW permit. The PA permit has no restrictions.

I am a business owner with a factory in Western Mass and I spend a good deal of time up here.

1) How difficult is it for a non-resident to obtain a Mass LTC? I believe that your unrestricted version is called all legal purposes. Is this correct?
2) If I already have a Pennsylvania permit, do I still need to show proof of attending one of the firearms safety courses that Mass requires?
3) Does Mass have any provisions like Maine, where they waive the firearms safety course requirement if you are a veteran? (I am a former Army officer and spent five years in the infantry.)

Thanks for any assistance.

It is remarkably easy...I am a maine resident with a mass LTC-A with " all lawful purposes". The whole process took about 3 weeks from the time I took a "home safety course" to when I recieved my permit in the mail. Non-residents apply to the state, not the individual town chief of police which eliminates all the headaches associated with residents getting ltc's in places like Worcester and boston.

I am a business owner with a factory in Western Mass and I spend a good deal of time up here.

I believe according to MGL 140-131 with such circumstances you can apply for the resident LTC at a town where your business is located. I would talk to the licensing officer first, to make sure they would issue you LTC Class A ALP.

If they will not - Nonresident LTC Class A ALP is easy to get, but you will have to renew it each year. Which includes another $100, trip to PD for fingerprints, filling another application and hoping you get your renewal before your old LTC runs out.

Hope this helps! [grin]

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-131.htm

(d) Any person residing or having a place of business within the jurisdiction of the licensing authority or any law enforcement officer employed by the licensing authority or any person residing in an area of exclusive federal jurisdiction located within a city or town may submit to such licensing authority or the colonel of state police, an application for a Class A or Class B license to carry firearms, or renewal of the same, which such licensing authority or said colonel may issue...

Back
Top Bottom