Non-resident fishing in NYS with sub-2000

I have read all the threads in the NY laws section, but don't see an answer.

I am going on a fishing trip around Roscoe NY in July

Is it legal for me to walk around rivers and streams with an unloaded rifle folded in my backpack. A sub-2000.

I know to have it unloaded in my car with no greater than 10 round mags or pre-ban mags. I will use 10 round mags.

I will not have a hunting license and will be bringing it specifically for protection from rabid animals and rabid people.

It will be folded in my backpack while fishing and in my RV at night in a camp ground.

Is that legal in NYS to have a rifle, unloaded, but with loaded mags on my person, in a case ( back pack ), on rivers, banks of rivers, crossing public ways ( streets ) when not hunting. The rifle being folded in a backpack unloaded but with loaded mags in a different pocket of the backpack.

I understand any advice I get is not legal advice, but it's better than what I know now.

Thanks

NYS, or any other for that matter doesn't hold a higher claim on my life and safety than I do. You bet your ass I'd carry it.

while I agree with you stance, A firearms charge would most likely render me unemployed.

Well, would you rather be unemployed or possibly dead?

If you have to seek someone's permission or advice as to whether you should have at hand the tools to protect your life, you're unlikely to use it anyway at the moment of truth so just end the thread right here and now.

Don't give me that bull shit.

I asked if it was legal.

I didn't ask for your philosophy on how and why our second amendment rights have been infringed.

I have pointed a loaded weapon at someone before and will again. In fact it's in my job description, so let's leave the question of whether or not I can use a weapon to defend myself and others up to me and the people that train me twice a year.

I asked if it was legal.

Well, would you rather be unemployed or possibly dead?

If you have to seek someone's permission or advice as to whether you should have at hand the tools to protect your life, you're unlikely to use it anyway at the moment of truth so just end the thread right here and now.

Don't give me that bull shit.

I asked if it was legal.

I didn't ask for your philosophy on how and why our second amendment rights have been infringed.

I have pointed a loaded weapon at someone before and will again. In fact it's in my job description, so let's leave the question of whether or not I can use a weapon to defend myself and others up to me and the people that train me twice a year.

I asked if it was legal.

Someone who attacks you isn't going to ask, neither permission nor legality, why should you?

If you are an LEO, then you should know the answer as to whether you can legally carry across state lines, or perhaps ask "those who train you twice a year".

Why not just carry a pistol if you are authorized to do so? Do you feel you have enough training to unpack your weapon from your backpack, unfold it, load it, aim, and fire before that guy coming at you with a swiss army knife accessorized with a cork-screw can do harm to you?

I do not fall under the nation wide carry law. It's a unique circumstance that I can not get into.

I guess I was asking too much about what is legal in the legal section.

If you don't want to or can't answer my question then fine, but why make comments that have nothing to do with the NY Law Section.

This is not General Discussion.

Why not just carry a pistol if you are authorized to do so? Do you feel you have enough training to unpack your weapon from your backpack, unfold it, load it, aim, and fire before that guy coming at you with a swiss army knife accessorized with a cork-screw can do harm to you?

Recommending someone commit a felony with a firearm is probably not a great thing to do on a public forum, especially in the legal section.

We hunt and fish up in the Adirondacks I always bring a Rifle or shotgun to camp with me but I also have a hunting license. Never had any problems. I have never been checked but my buddy has and all the game warden cared about was that the gun was unloaded in the truck.

I recommend not camping in the communist shathole of NY and go camp in a state the likes you like Vermont or New Hampshire. Problem solved :)

The original trip was to be in ME.

My brother's wife is having some problems and he needs to be close by and able to get home quick if he has to.

So that is the constraint. Sometimes other things in life are more important.

I recommend not camping in the communist shathole of NY and go camp in a state the likes you like Vermont or New Hampshire. Problem solved :)

You may fish,hike,camp,bird watch or whatever floats your boat with your loaded rifle in your backpack. If you look like your hunting without a license that's a different story. You may not have it loaded, including magazine in the motor vehicle.

I do not fall under the nation wide carry law. It's a unique circumstance that I can not get into.

I guess I was asking too much about what is legal in the legal section.

If you don't want to or can't answer my question then fine, but why make comments that have nothing to do with the NY Law Section.

This is not General Discussion.

What's the difference between concealing a pistol on your hip, or carrying what is now a concealed rifle in your backback?

Recommending someone commit a felony with a firearm is probably not a great thing to do on a public forum, especially in the legal section.
Who is asking you to commit a felony?

What's the difference between concealing a pistol on your hip, or carrying what is now a concealed rifle in your backback?
There is probably a huge difference in NY. I haven't lived in NY since before their latest round of gun banning so don't take what I say as gospel, but NY used to be long guns were legal just about anywhere, no permits, no ltcs no banned list. Some of that has changed for the worse. Handguns required permitting and involved gray areas. Rifles and shotguns were basically unregulated. Also there weren't any of the stupid laws like ME has where you can't be in the woods with a gun unless you are legally hunting.

There is probably a huge difference in NY. I haven't lived in NY since before their latest round of gun banning so don't take what I say as gospel, but NY used to be long guns were legal just about anywhere, no permits, no ltcs no banned list. Some of that has changed for the worse. Handguns required permitting and involved gray areas. Rifles and shotguns were basically unregulated. Also there weren't any of the stupid laws like ME has where you can't be in the woods with a gun unless you are legally hunting.

This is true as far as I can tell

All the NY laws I have read have said a license is required to possess a hand gun and if the license has no restrictions, then you can carry a handgun concealed. No license for possession of a long gun. Standard AWB rules apply just like MA and the old fed AWB.

In Westchester county it is illegal to be afield with a rifle. No other county is listed as having a restriction. Some states like Maine say that if you are a field with a rifle you are considered hunting and hunting reqs apply. No such verbage in NYS that I can find.

Having a cased rifle is not concealed, is it? MA requires all rifles to be cased when on a public way. I have found no such law in NY state. However that doesn't mean it can't be cased. Being in a backpack seems to me that it would be considered cased. I can find no other laws in NYS that mention anything about rifles than I have not already listed.

There are some environmental laws that apply to hunting where no more than 6 rounds can be loaded in a rifle or shotgun, but there is no presumption of hunting, like in ME, that if you are in the woods with a rifle, that you are hunting. Now walking around with a loaded rifle slung on your body could look like hunting, but fishing with it having it cased because I don't want to leave it in my vehicle or in my RV would not be considred hunting unless there is a law that states such, which I can not find.

Also one of the posters suggested I just carry a handgun regardless of what the law is, because bad guys don't follow the law and my life is worth more than what the law says, is recommending I commit a felony.

Everything I have read indicates there is nothing illegal with a non resident carrying a rifle ( even if it's a small folded rifle ) in a backpack especially afield.

However I ask the question because in MA the average person can not tell what is legal or not just by reading the law because the law is so convoluted. A perfect example is storing a loaded weapon in a parked vehicle. No where in the storage law does it prohibit storage in a vehicle, or prevent storage of a loaded weapon. But MA considers a weapon in an unintended vehicle to be under transport even if the car is parked for 10 years in the same location and people have been jacked up for leaving a loaded weapon stored in a trunk of a vehicle because it isn't considered stored, it's considered under transport and therefore by law must be unloaded unless under your direct control which it isn't if the car is parked and you aren't there.

Several people indicate that it is legal to be in possession of a rifle in a case ( would indicate not hunting ) while fishing and crossing the street and floating down a river. I was hoping one of the lawyers would chime in and give a non-professional opinion as they understand it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom