To pin, or not to pin (muzzle), THAT is the question (in New York)

OK, I'm a little confused about all this ridiculousness. I've pinned my 10 round AR magazine, so we're strictly talking about a pinned magazine compliant build, with a straight up 16" threaded barrel. If I go featureless, then I can't have anything but a pinned (and welded) muzzle thread protector. So, let's talk muzzle devices/protectors when I DO pin my magazine. Do I ALWAYS have to pin my muzzle device choice at this point? If I want to have a pistol grip and adjustable stock (extends below the trigger), do I then have to pin my muzzle device, or can I not have one? If I add my Thordsen stock, do I STILL have to pin my muzzle device? If I pin my magazine, and my barrel is a straight up 16" in length, can I have a muzzle device that I can keep UNpinned? I mean, what's the formula in a nutshell? I have all the stuff to easily pin the muzzle device of my choice. I'm just not sure when I HAVE to do it. I mean, if I don't HAVE to do it, then I won't, but I have 4 AR builds, and I'm trying to get them all compliant, but I'm trying to avoid pinning anything I don't have to so that I can have multiple set ups, between the different upper and lowers I have. Thanks for reading!

Attachments

• ar_unpin.jpg
    ar_unpin.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 10
Just to be clear, when you say pinned magazine you are talking about a magazine permanently pinned to the lower, not pinned at 10 rounds capacity, correct? If the gun does not have a detachable magazine, then it doesn’t qualify as an assault weapon, since it fails to meet the first criterion:

A semi-automatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least one of the following characteristics.

So once you have a fixed mag, you don’t need to worry about the NY AWB. You do still have to worry about the overall length and barrel length to not run afoul of the federal NFA short barreled rifle BS.

Just to be clear, when you say pinned magazine you are talking about a magazine permanently pinned to the lower, not pinned at 10 rounds capacity, correct? If the gun does not have a detachable magazine, then it doesn’t qualify as an assault weapon, since it fails to meet the first criterion:

A semi-automatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least one of the following characteristics.

So once you have a fixed mag, you don’t need to worry about the NY AWB. You do still have to worry about the overall length and barrel length....
Yes, the magazine is pinned to the lower receiver. Thank you for that explanation. And of course, if I do not have a pinned magazine to the lower receiver, then it is subject to the NYS SAFE act restrictions and I must keep it featureless unless I want to register it which I don't. Having a 16 inch threaded barrel, at that point, would compel me to pin a thread protector because I now can't have any of the evil things, right?

Yes, the magazine is pinned to the lower receiver. Thank you for that explanation. And of course, if I do not have a pinned magazine to the lower receiver, then it is subject to the NYS SAFE act restrictions and I must keep it featureless unless I want to register it which I don't. Having a 16 inch threaded barrel, at that point, would compel me to pin a thread protector because I now can't have any of the evil things, right?
A far as my understanding, that is correct. NY is a single feature state, meaning that once you have a detachable mag all other features are prohibited.

Here is a link to their description:

Back
Top Bottom