• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Non Res/Summer House in NH

I have a MA res permit, and a NH non res permit. I have a summer house on a lake in Nh and visit bi weekly. Can I buy a rifle in NH and leave it at my NH house even if its not MA compliant? What is the process of buying a gun in NH in comparison to MA? Do I show my NH non res or my MA res permit when buying? I've seen some threads talking about pistols in NH but wasn't sure if laws were more laxed on shotguns/rifles. Thanks for any info/input

Maybe someday ill make the move up north...

You qualify (per BATFE regs) for a RESIDENT NH license.

If you can prove to a NH FFL that you are indeed a <part-time> resident, he can legally sell you any handgun or rifle, period. If you keep it in NH, it can be a post-(MA)ban with all the evil features and MA need not know about it (unless your MA LTC is suspended/revoked).

If you proceed as a NH NR, you can't buy any handguns in NH and ONLY long guns that are MA compliant (both due to Fed Law).

Buying a gun in NH doesn't require a license at all.

Len is correct that an FFL may sell you either a handgun or other, but it's not likely. Most require a state ID or DL showing residency, because that is what the ATF has drilled into them. Even if though it's legal, most are afraid to touch such a sale, especially when the other state in question is infamously anti-gun.

What would his MA LTC being revoked or suspended have to do with him keeping a rifle in another state if it is legal there, barring a felony or DV charge?

I answered the asked. Otherwise I have no idea why a LTC would become invalid.

I answered the asked. Otherwise I have no idea why a LTC would become invalid.
I was more specifically referring to earlier in the thread when you stated: "If you keep it in NH, it can be a post-(MA)ban with all the evil features and MA need not know about it (unless your MA LTC is suspended/revoked".

I should have quoted the correct post. I'm asking why MA would need to know about the firearm, even if his LTC was revoked in MA.

I was more specifically referring to earlier in the thread when you stated: "If you keep it in NH, it can be a post-(MA)ban with all the evil features and MA need not know about it (unless your MA LTC is suspended/revoked".

I should have quoted the correct post. I'm asking why MA would need to know about the firearm, even if his LTC was revoked in MA.

Because those sneaky bastards put a clause in MGL C. 269 S. 10 that says that if you do not disclose you can be charged with a felony for not doing so, regardless of where the guns are located. And yes, police love to throw this one at people who they are suspending/revoking!

Because those sneaky bastards put a clause in MGL C. 269 S. 10 that says that if you do not disclose you can be charged with a felony for not doing so, regardless of where the guns are located. And yes, police love to throw this one at people who they are suspending/revoking!
Ah, ok. Makes sense now. Thank you.

Old thread so I apologize. I ended up using the advice given to me here, bought a shotgun for the house up there. It stays there in my extra gun safe.
Im looking into trying to get my resident permit. And wanted to seek advice and clarify a few things because my original post was shorthanded in order to seek advice in regards to buying a firearm up there with a non res.
1: My name isn't on the mortgage. IT is my families house that my father bought. I own my own house in MA, but he is the sole owner in NH. Does this disqualify me. If it does then disregard the next question. IF that's the case, my father may just try to get his resident permit.
2: Theres a section on the NH license for legal address and mailing address. Should I use my MA address for the mailing address or will that create a red flag?

I would hate to apply and get denied and have to check the little box saying I was denied a license in a state everytime I renew my license here, or in another state.

Thanks in advance.

Old thread so I apologize. I ended up using the advice given to me here, bought a shotgun for the house up there. It stays there in my extra gun safe.
Im looking into trying to get my resident permit. And wanted to seek advice and clarify a few things because my original post was shorthanded in order to seek advice in regards to buying a firearm up there with a non res.
1: My name isn't on the mortgage. IT is my families house that my father bought. I own my own house in MA, but he is the sole owner in NH. Does this disqualify me. If it does then disregard the next question. IF that's the case, my father may just try to get his resident permit.
2: Theres a section on the NH license for legal address and mailing address. Should I use my MA address for the mailing address or will that create a red flag?

I would hate to apply and get denied and have to check the little box saying I was denied a license in a state everytime I renew my license here, or in another state.

Thanks in advance.
If you rented in NH and lived there full time, you would be a resident without owning any thing. The question of residency doesn't hinge on ownership, but on living there. Problem is, if you don't own anything or pay any bills there, how do you show you are a resident?

If you rented in NH and lived there full time, you would be a resident without owning any thing. The question of residency doesn't hinge on ownership, but on living there. Problem is, if you don't own anything or pay any bills there, how do you show you are a resident?

Im in the same boat as the OP, we have a family home, but its nor the bills are in my name. Should I bring pictures of me in my bedroom at said house as proof of residency? lol

Back
Top Bottom