no4 beater

i was recently looking at a no4 mk1 for $179 at a local gun shop and i have some questions about the condition of the gun, the band for the buttstock on the right had no markings and the left side just said "1943 no4 mk1".

the firing pin was rusted and the inside of the bolt sleeve looked servicable. the bore did look decent and had minimal pitting. the bolt outside was pretty scratched up and had some pitting. there was some light rust where the hand guard met the receiver. the bluing looked ok but some was gone. do you guys the this rifle would be a good fixer uper or do you think i should pass and look for a better example?

thanks

What Pilgrim and Vellneuve said.

You could find better examples for less at a GUN SHOW, where everything is marked up beyond reason.

I understand the urge to buy - the No.4,Mk.1 is a fantastic rifle. But wait until you find one that someone obviously took care of, and you'll have less problems and expenses in the future. With a decent barrel and the Enfield micrometer rear sight, you'll find it to be an excellent shooter.

Last edited:
Although prices for Enfields, like most MilSurps, have gone up the past couple of years, I agree with the others. You can get much better rifles for that amount or even less. Do you have a C&R license? If so, you get even better deals.

With a C&R the distributors are selling good to very good condition #4 Mk1 for less plus shipping. I picked one up earlier in the year for $149 and after a thorough cleaning it is a keeper, looks great and shoots like a dream.

Back
Top Bottom