Another Old beater 1913 M96 Swede

I'll answer my own post. I just found this old posting on The High Road:

That is a Swedish BUSK micrometer receiver sight.
They are semi rare.... If I had been there, you you not have had a choice...

Military service in Sweden was pretty much based upon conscription back in those days. So the Crown thought it was a good idea to maintain a male population who were proficient in rifle use.
So... The Crown lent all sorts of military rifles to various shooting clubs all over the country.
These Crown sanctioned clubs could install match grade sights on these rifles.

On January 22, 1951 the Swedish Army issued a Technical order which approved various DIOPTER ( peep) Sights which had been approved by the FSR ( the Swedish CMP ).
The work had to be done by a military armorer or a FSR certified Armorer.

They had around 11 or 12 sights which were commonly installed.

The BUSK diopter which I have only seen one or two....
The MG Anderesson diopter, which I never never seen even one.
The Elit sight, which is very common
The Faldt rear sight,,,, Saw one once...
The GF Diopter rear sight... These were made by the Military armory I won a few.
The Hauges rear sight from Norway.
The Hellqvist which looks like R2D2
The Halsikte Hooka rear sight which looks alot like the BUSK sight.
The Lyman number 48 rear sight.
The Pramm Rear sight, I have seen lots of these.
and the Soderin rear sight. There are Lot and Lots of these....

Does anybody use any kind of aperture rear sight on their 96? My eyes are getting bad and the notch on the original rear sight is mighty small. I'd love to put on some sort of peep sight without breaking the bank.
They do have peep sights for them , im sure tou could also find a Williams or a Lyman to put on there also.
Your going to need to drill and tap though. I might hunt down a M96 with target sights already installed.

Does anybody use any kind of aperture rear sight on their 96? My eyes are getting bad and the notch on the original rear sight is mighty small. I'd love to put on some sort of peep sight without breaking the bank.

I've got a 2x EER scope on my m96 (it was purchased this way; sporterized and no original rear sight).
Even with a 2 power I still can be off with my aim. It doesn't magnify much, but the crosshairs are much easier than the minimal irons (I had these on a second original m96b).
Never claim to be much of a marksman, but even eco-loads show promise...

q8kOtM1l.jpg

I have a simple screw on peep for my M39. Easy on, easy off to revert to CMP legal original rear sight. Maybe something similar for the Swede? It simply replaces the notch.

So I picked up the partridge style mauser sight from brownells. Sadly its not a good fit. The sight dove tail is to thick or high and if you file it to the correct hieght the wide part of the dovetail will be to narrow
So I did my best to find middle ground and get a nice fit for target work.
Been trying to find some original sights taller than what I have but this will do.

good thing is the sight gives you plenty of sight height to play with. I will need to take off about .135” to get to about where I need to be.
Also the brownells front sight is .070” wide vs the .100” of the M96 swede at the tip.

A +2.5 swede sight would be great but all seem to be sold out.
Going to pick up Sarco Incs version of the swede tall sight.7EA3C843-3A5D-4967-AD45-5F728E30A803.jpeg

hope to get out and play around this weekend. I might give the barrel acscrub and play with the cast loads a bit. They eill shoot really low with this blade! In hind sight should have played with cast first.

Last edited:
So I picked up the partridge style mauser sight from brownells. Sadly its not a good fit. The sight dove tail is to thick or high and if you file it to the correct hieght the wide part of the dovetail will be to narrow
So I did my best to find middle ground and get a nice fit for target work.
Been trying to find some original sights taller than what I have but this will do.

good thing is the sight gives you plenty of sight height to play with. I will need to take off about .135” to get to about where I need to be.
Also the brownells front sight is .070” wide vs the .100” of the M96 swede at the tip.

A +2.5 swede sight would be great but all seem to be sold out.
Going to pick up Sarco Incs version of the swede tall sight.View attachment 429781

hope to get out and play around this weekend. I might give the barrel acscrub and play with the cast loads a bit. They eill shoot really low with this blade! In hind sight should have played with cast first.

IIRC the one I bought from Liberty Tree was +1.5?

1st test run with cast jot bad not good

0BCFA283-E2DB-46E3-949F-E0970FEEF9F3.jpeg

at 100 yards and the VERY tall front sight installed 1 shot 10 rounds fmj. Not impressive at all so back to the Norma powder I was at least under 3 moa with norma
I at least have a starting point. I will get it printing high in the black to start and find a good load then I can fine tune from there.
This group was about 5+ moa probably one if the worst groups with reloads so far.
I was hoping H4895 at aprix 2400 fps would do well.

so somewhere between .130-.150” has to come off that front sight
BF0685B9-F17A-4B2F-92C6-5E5D84314DD3.jpeg

CBAD59EB-BC51-4E29-ACAF-D285271AD223.jpeg0A981378-77AA-452A-912C-DD34A13D7074.jpegSo the taller sight is in. My impacts are closer to where I want them to be. I realized when I got home I never placed the rear sight back down to lowest setting. I had it on 500 when I was shooting cast. The lower group above is factory PPU soft points which have not shot that great so far.
So looks like a few more file strokes and a tap to the left. I will liberate the rest of my PPU brass from these soft points while testing

Just a heads up- Seller on E bay has +2.5 Original M96 front sight blades for $16.95 + shipping $3.75 and discounts for buying more than 1...

God I searched darn near every way, enay and gun broker are weird with searches
Found this one also

Last edited:
If you go on ebay and put the description above in the ebay search box it takes you there
thanks for the heads up on the +2.5
installed it today.
The original swede sight is much better than that brownells sight.
The Brownells sight is to thin and the dovetail needs alot of fitting.
The Original sight is nice and wide and fits perfect.
I might have to kiss a few .00X" off it to get it where I want it. Give it a test run soon.

Back
Top Bottom