• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

No dentures from the VA.

After a 20 year history of bone cancer, my jaw bones have detiorated so much the VA has decided I need to have (literally) all my remaining teeth removed!
They will pay for the extractions, but I have to go outside the system and pay for my own dentures.
FML!
Tell the VA you want inplants. They do inplants.

Are their any dental schools near you? Maybe they can help. I know their expensive. It sucks getting old.

Well that plain sucks. As suggested before, implants may be possible. I need to have an old dental bridge replaced and due to several factors another bridge won't work so two implants are required. However, a bone graft has to be done first. The procedure actually uses an artificial material which get mixed with some of your blood rather than bone. But it's expensive. $8K for the graft and two implants. Medicare supplemental insurance is a joke. It's disgraceful that Medicare does not fully cover dental, vision or hearing care for seniors. I'll have to check with the VA as I did not think they did implants. I hope you can get some assistance from them.
Jim

That is horse shit. Vets should have 100% free and clear health care, dentist, and eye.
The system is a complete mess.

Fuuuck.

It’s insane how “medical” and “dental” are separated in the U.S.

After a 20 year history of bone cancer, my jaw bones have detiorated so much the VA has decided I need to have (literally) all my remaining teeth removed!
They will pay for the extractions, but I have to go outside the system and pay for my own dentures.
FML!
Just tell the VA that you are an undocumented alien, then they will give you anything you want. You'll finally get to see what an EBT card looks like.

I am not rated for Disability. According to the VA, none of my problems are "Service Connected."

I could lie, and tell them I have PTSD, but that is not me!
It’s not just PTSD. If you got injured while on active duty and I’m sure you got more than just lumps and bruises in Nam, you should get service-connected for that.

Depending on your state reps/senators, I understand "some" of them actually care about their constituents, but not sure this has even been confirmed.

It'll cost you a nickel to call their office and ask if they can apply pressure, intervene somehow.

It could work, but I wouldn't give it great odds.

Is going across the border an option, get the dentures made and fit there?

Depending on your state reps/senators, I understand "some" of them actually care about their constituents, but not sure this has even been confirmed.

It'll cost you a nickel to call their office and ask if they can apply pressure, intervene somehow.

It could work, but I wouldn't give it great odds.

Is going across the border an option, get the dentures made and fit there?
Calling your representatives, both state and federal is completely useless. It does nothing but put a red flag next to your name in the system. Ask me how I know.

Not just for dentures or dental, you gotta be 100% to get VA Dental, Skysoldier please go get service connection for everything that the United States government put you through serving your country in Vietnam. You’ll get service connection for agent orange alone. Don’t be to proud..those benefits are there for you, you earned them!

The bones are too far gone for implants. I have severe osteoporosis.
With inplants they add bone for the inplants because what they use is harder than bone so it makes a stronger base for the inplants. Look into it.
I've also heard that everyone over 65 is entitled to free dental from .gov. check into both.

Not just for dentures or dental, you gotta be 100% to get VA Dental, Skysoldier please go get service connection for everything that the United States government put you through serving your country in Vietnam. You’ll get service connection for agent orange alone. Don’t be to proud..those benefits are there for you, you earned them!
Listen to SgtHal 75 Sky. He's spot on. Get rated. Call the DAV. They will assist you with the application and follow up with the VA. There is usually a DAV rep with office space at a VA hospital. He will walk you through everything.

Last edited:
Skysoldier's got his purple heart.
That’s Right!!!!!

Come on Skysoldier! Get your shit together!!!!😂😂

You’re leaving benefits on the table that you deserved for years please please get your service connection.

And not to bust your balls about PTS… there’s no “D”because it is not a f***ing disorder! Think about it this way.. if you spent more than one night having at least one nightmare about your time in Vietnam that’s PTS..put a claim in and get the benefits that are there for you. You have more than deserved them!

It’s not just PTSD. If you got injured while on active duty and I’m sure you got more than just lumps and bruises in Nam, you should get service-connected for that.
John Kerry only scraped his shin and demanded a PH. His xo was tired of hearing from him daily that he gave it to him to SHTFU.

+ a billion to getting off your rear and getting service connected. Also concur with using the DAV or similar to assist.

Guaranteed that 'something' occurred to you while you were in that wasn't there before. Especially with a PH.

The benefits side of the VA isn't the easiest to deal with, but the DAV will help. It has gotten a whole lot more user friendly over the past 20 odd years mainly due to the work of the Vietnam guys trying to fix things.

ETA: any monetary compensation is already built into the budget. You're just leaving that on the table as well as having to pay out of pocket for medical/dental.

+ a billion to getting off your rear and getting service connected. Also concur with using the DAV or similar to assist.

Guaranteed that 'something' occurred to you while you were in that wasn't there before. Especially with a PH.

The benefits side of the VA isn't the easiest to deal with, but the DAV will help. It has gotten a whole lot more user friendly over the past 20 odd years mainly due to the work of the Vietnam guys trying to fix things.

ETA: any monetary compensation is already built into the budget. You're just leaving that on the table as well as having to pay out of pocket for medical/dental.
Great post!

I can't deal with the VA. I've tried a couple times and it all feels like bullshit. Worst was an old boss who constantly badgered me to contact them through some ambulance chaser group he knew of. Just felt like crap. When I finally did get checked out they denied everything. I'm done - they just piss me off, and I don't have the patience for them anymore.

I can't deal with the VA. I've tried a couple times and it all feels like bullshit. Worst was an old boss who constantly badgered me to contact them through some ambulance chaser group he knew of. Just felt like crap. When I finally did get checked out they denied everything. I'm done - they just piss me off, and I don't have the patience for them anymore.
That’s what they want! they want you to quit!
Delay Deny until the Veteran dies.

The VA sucks for everyone! You’re not the first denial and believe me you’re not gonna be the last😂

Submit all your documentation, medical records, doctors notes and all that shit and get your service connection. It takes time it’s the biggest most corrupt agency we have in the federal government.

I don't understand the VA rationale. If you have VA dental care that will extract teeth, how can the same VA dental care deny bridges? That's just f***ed up.
Implants are probably not a viable option if you have severe bone loss. Bone grafting is a long and painful process with no guarantee of success.
You can enroll in VADIP. It will pay up to 50% cost of bridges or implant in network. Cost is About $45/mo. Delta and Metlife plans are about the same but Delta makes you wait 9 months after enrolling to receive major benefits. (Note that neither plan will reimburse you dollar for dollar. They send you an EOB form and pay for the cheapest procedure even if you paid for the most expensive procedure.)

Last edited:
Well that plain sucks. As suggested before, implants may be possible. I need to have an old dental bridge replaced and due to several factors another bridge won't work so two implants are required. However, a bone graft has to be done first. The procedure actually uses an artificial material which get mixed with some of your blood rather than bone. But it's expensive. $8K for the graft and two implants. Medicare supplemental insurance is a joke. It's disgraceful that Medicare does not fully cover dental, vision or hearing care for seniors. I'll have to check with the VA as I did not think they did implants. I hope you can get some assistance from them.
Jim
Yes they did

Last edited:

Like to be as optimistic as you, but Vietnam Veterans are getting the short end of the stick since Biden's woke VA. Damn them

I am not rated for Disability. According to the VA, none of my problems are "Service Connected."

I could lie, and tell them I have PTSD, but that is not me!
Sky, been thinking you’re right, it’s not you, I admire that about you….stubborn as effff 😘 But you might wanna 2nd opinion, ask your kids my kids never hesitated to offer me their opinions

Back
Top Bottom