Night Vision experts needed

For "you get what you pay for" comparison:

smartselect_20220315-184754_gallery-jpg.590737
tameelementaryinexpectatumpleco-size_restricted.gif

I want royalties on this new forum!! 😂😂
With a screen name like that,
it'd be a hard sell...

Nope, these are the budget WP

Yeah man, I had a L3 filmless WP tube in my PVS14 that had a spec sheet with numbers so high that the sheet chasers were beating off over it when I had to sell it. It looked great for sure, but when I finally recooped the money from my dogs surgery I bought a set of thin filmed WP RNVGs and I can't really tell the difference. I don't fly helicopters with them or nothing, but as a casual user my current tubes are plenty fine.

20210510_1347521.jpg

Yeah man, I had a L3 filmless WP tube in my PVS14 that had a spec sheet with numbers so high that the sheet chasers were beating off over it when I had to sell it. It looked great for sure, but when I finally recooped the money from my dogs surgery I bought a set of thin filmed WP RNVGs and I can't really tell the difference. I don't fly helicopters with them or nothing, but as a casual user my current tubes are plenty fine.

View attachment 590898
Im still just using the single tube and its enough to have fun with on atvs.

I don't have enough money to go hardcore on the numbers

Im still just using the single tube and its enough to have fun with on atvs.

I don't have enough money to go hardcore on the numbers
Chasing numbers on a paper is lame, it's like dudes that pain over the dB rating of suppressors. It's a waste of time that you could be out training or running F&G in the dark. [laugh]

View attachment 590898
I was always curious - if you use those tubes with a regular scope - are they capable to get any IR spectrum passed through the scope glass or it is useless?

I was always curious - if you use those tubes with a regular scope - are they capable to get any IR spectrum passed through the scope glass or it is useless?
You mean like aiming passively? I do that with red dots all the time. Using a scope passively? I am sure you could if you had reticle illumination, I have not tried. Seems like a lot of glass and focal adjustments to line up to make it usable. They make clip on devices like the PVS-30 that are better suited for scoped night shooting. @AllaSnackbah will have to look down his nose while telling us more about that one though.

So shooting with thermals, you basically need to get a thermal scope on your rifle, right? And with NV you can either use a NV scope, or you can use something helmet mounted plus an IR designator? Something like that?

You mean like aiming passively? I do that with red dots all the time. Using a scope passively? I am sure you could if you had reticle illumination, I have not tried. Seems like a lot of glass and focal adjustments to line up to make it usable. They make clip on devices like the PVS-30 that are better suited for scoped night shooting. @AllaSnackbah will have to look down his nose while telling us more about that one though.
i am really curious if it works at all - but i do understand, to line up those goggles with an eye box of a scope will probably be some weird trick. plus, not probably going to be easy to move your head that far back compared to where it is supposed to be normally.

i am really curious if it works at all - but i do understand, to line up those goggles with an eye box of a scope will probably be some weird trick. plus, not probably going to be easy to move your head that far back compared to where it is supposed to be normally.
Yeah, it would probably have to be a big money LPVO with a super forgiving eye box.

Old and Busted: Open Carry
The New Hotness: ⬆️That thing.

LARP around Whole Foods in that (totally unarmed, mind you)
and wait for the 911 calls to roll in.
Bonus points if you're controlling a net on 2m when the first prowl car arrives.

Has @nstassel posted anything here yet?
Given his current avatar,
he really ought to be the patron saint of the subforum...
nah I'm not... more of a post apocalyptic velour smoking jacket fan.
68xcxs.jpg

great but looking at all the different models what does any of this mean?
LP – 68

SNR – 31.64

EBI – 0.12

HALO – 0.82

FOM – 2152
LP - Resolution

SNR - Contrast

EBI - How much light you need. Low is good.

HALO - Exactly what it sounds like. The halo or bloom when looking at lights.

FOM - LP x SNR

And I hate you all so much right now. I’d only be willing to get a pvs-14 for my purposes which are larping and supplying NODs to whoever kills me for them.

great but looking at all the different models what does any of this mean?
LP – 68

SNR – 31.64

EBI – 0.12

HALO – 0.82

FOM – 2152
Those are the numbers that rate the tube on the spec sheet. I have the L3 acceptance sheet, (ITAR protected so I am not going to post it here [rolleyes]) those numbers are all within the specs.

Back
Top Bottom