Night Vision experts needed

I just realized we don't have a NightVision section here on NES .. maybe we should?

If anyone knows a lot about night vision in the Boston or NH area and wouldn't mind me picking your brain please send me a PM.

I started doing some research on it and want opinions and tips.

if using a monocular would you run it non dominant eye?

I dunno what current doctrine is. If it’s goggle dark whatever eye is under goggles is going to become the “dominant” eye because it’s the one that can see, to include the IR lasers. Only real thought I have is if you suddenly were in a bright area and wanted to shoulder the rifle now you are flipping the nods out of the way. So I guess I’d probably keep it off my shooting eye, but I haven’t worn/shot with a monocular for almost a decade, and I don’t shoot with goggles.

I will say white phosphor tubes are apparently the bees knees. Haven’t seen them yet, but might be worth ponying up for.

For all the internet operators, you’re probably better off with a break barrel .22 and good nods than the most expensive rifle you can buy and a flashlight — that said, I don’t own NODS. I probably should get some, be fun just to f*** around with in the back yard.

That entirely depends on the application.
Yeah, I want to own the night but multiple NVG/NODS would get expensive, it would be sweet to have a thermal scope on the bolt gun and NV for the sporting rifle but that can get you up in the tens of thousands

Those things are barely useful for making IG larp videos.

I just realized we don't have a NightVision section here on NES .. maybe we should?

If anyone knows a lot about night vision in the Boston or NH area and wouldn't mind me picking your brain please send me a PM.

I started doing some research on it and want opinions and tips.
there was whole alternative thread on this topic.
traditional ones use green phosphor. a modern ones use digital FLIR sensor. what we talked about was this one - presumably the best one currently in that class - 640x480, 1.5-15x:

Amazon product ASIN B079K2KL17View: https://www.amazon.com/ATN-Sensitive-Stabilization-Ballistic-Calculator/dp/B079K2KL17?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1

So how delicate is a PVS14 (for example)? Do they go dead if you don't use them, or was that older gen stuff? Do they have a lifespan? Are some types of NV more durable than others? Is the benefit of having dual devices just the depth perception?

Probably dumb questions but I'm admittedly pretty clueless about the whole topic.

I have been doing a ton of coyote hunting on a weapon mounted Pulsar Thermion and I think its worth every penny. I do agree its nice to have a thermal monocular too, I'm using an old Leupold Tracker that is great for picking up game and then looking through the scope which is light years better.

for anyone wondering I'm debating on a nice white phos PVS14 or cough up double the dough for some white phos binos .. still debating ( that's code for convincing the wife we "need it")

So how delicate is a PVS14 (for example)? Do they go dead if you don't use them, or was that older gen stuff? Do they have a lifespan? Are some types of NV more durable than others? Is the benefit of having dual devices just the depth perception?

Probably dumb questions but I'm admittedly pretty clueless about the whole topic.
PVS14 are not delicate. A buddy ran over an old milspec housing with his truck and they still work as they should. I have very little experience with NV myself, but I know they all cant be that tough.
Dual nods (binos) have their weak points in the arms (articulating or not) but I believe the tubes.. which is what matters are very safe inside, against big falls/impact.

Back
Top Bottom