Nicole's AR Build + Wicked Cool Duracoating

Nicole and I just finished building her first AR, which will make its NES debut at Tackdriver's karma AR class tomorrow.

Thanks to Mike Pigney for pinning the compensator! Excellent work, as always. [grin]

Delaware Machinery Lower
DPMS LPK
Stark Pistol Grip
ACE Entry Stock
YHM Upper
YHM BCG
Bravo Company 16" barrel
YHM Free-float Handguard
YHM NOT A FLASH HIDER compensator
Grip-pod
Hybrid sights - Magpul rear sight and Pro-Mag up front

The fun part came with the Duracoating customization. This was my second Duracoating experience and first time working with the camo paks.

Our masking handiwork on display, ready for the base color.

P7250019.jpg

Base color complete

P7250033.jpg

First of three colors to be part of the camo pattern....looking rather like a Pepto-Bismol gun in my opinion, she votes for cotton candy. [rolleyes]

P7250040.jpg

We then applied the first set of camo pak masks and moved on to the second color "Bloomberg Pink."

P7260049.jpg

After applying more masks, the final color, Gloss Black.

P7260057.jpg

Nicole hard at work removing all those masks. You can see the final camo pattern at this point on much of the gun as she is down to removing the original masking protecting the unpainted parts.

P7260086.jpg

The painted parts.

P7260102.jpg

The assembled rifle.

P7310013.jpg

Nicole testing the fit of her newest firearm.

P7310007.jpg

She's had it out to the range a few times for function testing and sighting in - absolutely loves it and it attracts quite a few compliments and interested shooters. We have however managed to forget to take pictures at the range all week, so hopefully we can update after tomorrow's class with some shots of her in action with it.

nice paint job! but 2 questions.
1. how come you have such a short handguard? don't you want it to be covering the entire gas tube.
2. how come the rear sight is so far forward?

nice paint job! but 2 questions.
1. how come you have such a short handguard? don't you want it to be covering the entire gas tube.
2. how come the rear sight is so far forward?

1. We made a mistake in measuring. I know, measure twice cut once, but I didn't. After todays class she'll be getting the correct sized one.
2. Her personal choice there.

I understand you're busy Adam, and I'm not trying to be a dink, but by putting the bipod / grip where it is, if you bear down on it at all, the barrel / front sight is going to move and throw your shots off. That's why they're attached to the fore arm / rail.

Hi Timber,

Thanks for educating the masses, but we do know that. However, I was on a tight schedule for a carbine class being run at 25 yds, so we deferred on setting up the YHM fore end rails until later and the bipod was just on for the photo ops anyway and came off before the class.

We'll get the right fore end and set up the free-float optimally in the next month or so and then actually reach out and touch something at a real distance.[smile]

Oh and Adam says he doesn't think you are being a dink[grin]

whats real distance? 100yds? 200yds? the shorter barrel is gonna hurt the long range capability (probably 200 to 300yd max for minute-of-man accuracy), and though it might look ok at close range, having your rear aperature that far forward is going to make consistent sight alignment REALLY difficult, especially @ distance. ideally you want that rear sight no more than ~ 2-3" from your eye once you've established a good cheek weld.

FWIW, though im not a fan of the colors, the camo scheme actually came out REALLY good.

i'm not quite grasping the rear sight placement.

i have mine to where the cheek weld is synonymous with my nose being on the charging handle to pick up a faster sight picture...

the colors are puuuurrrdy... but i personally prefer my rifles evil and in the color of black.

otherwise, it's nice work. i hope you (she) enjoys.... [smile]

whats real distance? 100yds? 200yds? the shorter barrel is gonna hurt the long range capability (probably 200 to 300yd max for minute-of-man accuracy), and though it might look ok at close range, having your rear aperature that far forward is going to make consistent sight alignment REALLY difficult, especially @ distance. ideally you want that rear sight no more than ~ 2-3" from your eye once you've established a good cheek weld.

FWIW, though im not a fan of the colors, the camo scheme actually came out REALLY good.

Realistically, I'm not going to get the chance to shoot it beyond 100 yds very often. If we make the haul all the way down to New Bedford, we're going to be playing with the 82A1. I may muck around with it at the 200 & 300 yd lines for kicks, but it obviously wasn't meant as a true long-distance gun. 25 yrds however, which is where I was shooting for the class this weekend is not what I would call "real distance." It was ideal and germane for the skills Tackdriver was teaching, but it is not going to push the capabilities of any rifle.

I went with the shorter barrel because I wanted this to really fit me and it does. I'm short & petite...standard AR's are not optimally sized for me. This is much more comfortable.

I hear you guys on the eye relief issue. I will experiment with the sight placement and test it out properly at the range, but the current placement is where it felt most comfortable for me. My visual perception is a little odd though...Adam & Tackdriver can vouch for the fact that whatever it is that I'm seeing when I shoulder a long arm is not what they are seeing.

Shorter barrel? Looks like a 20" to me from the pics. My 10.5" SBR shoots about the same as my former 20" AR to about 150-200 yds. Actually that's one of the reasons my 20" AR is now referred to as my "former" AR [smile]. Anything beyond 200 yds I just use a bigger gun.

Last edited:
I like it, aside from the hand guard and bipod issues, but that was already addressed by Nicole and Adam. The paint job is great, pretty well done IMO. Most likely this rifle will be used in the SAS (Second Amendment Sisters) to bring more women and girls into shooting.

What's wrong with that?

I like it, aside from the hand guard and bipod issues, but that was already addressed by Nicole and Adam. The paint job is great, pretty well done IMO. Most likely this rifle will be used in the SAS (Second Amendment Sisters) to bring more women and girls into shooting.

What's wrong with that?

absolutely nothing.

The more people it can grab positive interest from, the better. It got my girlfriend talking about how nice a pink AK would be. My heart skipped a beat.

Shorter barrel? Looks like a 20" to me from the pics. My 10.5" SBR shoots about the same as my former 20" AR to about 150-200 yds. Actually that's one of the reasons my 20" AR is now referred to as my "former" AR [smile]. Anything beyond 200 yds I just use a bigger gun.

If I had any SBRs, I'd likely be right there with you. As far as barrel length, I'm going by the OP. I assume the barrel looks longer due to the obscenely short handgaurd.

as for range, i suppose i'm a bit of a sucker for punishment. i'm going to NY 2nd week in september to shoot a long range match with my 20" A2 (iron sights). 3 relays @ 600 yards on saturday, and 3 relays at 1000yards on sunday. cant wait :)

Nicole and I just finished building her first AR, which will make its NES debut at Tackdriver's karma AR class tomorrow.

Thanks to Mike Pigney for pinning the compensator! Excellent work, as always. [grin]

Delaware Machinery Lower
DPMS LPK
Stark Pistol Grip
ACE Entry Stock
YHM Upper
YHM BCG
Bravo Company 16" barrel
YHM Free-float Handguard
YHM NOT A FLASH HIDER compensator
Grip-pod
Hybrid sights - Magpul rear sight and Pro-Mag up front

The fun part came with the Duracoating customization. This was my second
She's had it out to the range a few times for function testing and sighting in - absolutely loves it and it attracts quite a few compliments and interested shooters. We have however managed to forget to take pictures at the range all week, so hopefully we can update after tomorrow's class with some shots of her in action with it.

What's wrong with that?

It increases the chance that those women and girls will come into contact with you......

[rofl]

Im actually surprised you could even see the rear sight after planting your cheak on the stock. I feel as if I need to peak up over the back of the charging to see through my peep hole. Getting used to my nose tickled by the chargeing handle as really improved my accuracy as of late. Now If I could just get rid of my trap shooting shotgun trigger finger

Im actually surprised you could even see the rear sight after planting your cheak on the stock. I feel as if I need to peak up over the back of the charging to see through my peep hole. Getting used to my nose tickled by the chargeing handle as really improved my accuracy as of late. Now If I could just get rid of my trap shooting shotgun trigger finger

a 2stage trigger would help. indexing the 2nd stages forces you to slow down (so you dont pull right through). other than that? dryfire. re-train the boogerhook

If she hangs Dreancatchers from it to match the colors its cool with me. Black is just black. Everybody has that, this ias truly unique. God knows there are a million accessories she can put on and take off after trying them out. Adam won't mind. Besides, there will be more little ones in the future [wink]

If she hangs Dreancatchers from it to match the colors its cool with me. Black is just black. Everybody has that, this ias truly unique. God knows there are a million accessories she can put on and take off after trying them out. Adam won't mind. Besides, there will be more little ones in the future [wink]

Did Nicole tell you about the gas tube coming in a SBR length? [laugh]
We'll probably have to make her a SBR now because of it.

Back
Top Bottom