NH Resident Permit Renewal Dates

I just checked the expiry date on my permit and found it was 1/31/2014. My birthday is 1/7.

The application for a P&R license says permits expire at midnight on your birthday so I called the Manchester PD. The guy in records said most towns are using the last day of the month instead of the actual birthday.

So what would happen if your permit was checked for some reason and it was after your birthday but before the end of the month?

The wording on the app is clear but if the town gives you until the end of the month does that override what it says on the permit?

Not that I really care, only found it kind of interesting.

RSA 159:6 says that renewal shall occur within the month of the applicants birthday 4 years after issuance.

"The original shall be delivered to the licensee and the duplicate shall be preserved by the people issuing the same for 4 years. When required, license renewal shall take place within the month of the fourth anniversary of the license holder's date of birth following the date of issuance."

So the back of the form is slightly incorrect.

My NR NH License expires the last day of the month of my birth. This seems to be a policy change they made a few years ago because previously they did expire on my birthday.

I have an interesting question that relates to this.

My license was renewed by the Barrington PD. However (and I just noticed this now, almost 2 years later) the license actually expires a month before my birth month in 2016. Wouldn't this technically make my license invalid?

And even better question would be, can I renew early (read: now) as a result?

The reason I ask is because I am more than willing to be a plaintiff in a case where the PD denies a license (or refuses to accept the application) for not providing a photo ID (Dover is reported to do this).

The law doesn't say anything about invalid licenses, or early renewals- or in fact what to do if a mistake has been found on the license after i has been issued. Guess the assumption is you'd see a mistake and get it fixed when you received it.

It might be worth playing Mickey the Dunce and go in and say "Hey I just noticed a date mistake on my pistol license, would you guys renew me now?" and go from there.

Mine doesn't expire until September- and I'll be in a new town by then....

The wording is interesting. I'd say that they should expire on your birth month no less than 4 years from issue, but it seems any expiration date of at least 4 years later could be used. The date on my happens to be a month prior to my birthday. I mean, I'm pretty sure the intent is for it to be on your birth month, sort of like vehicle registrations and other thing in NH, but what the heck does the "when required" mean?

Mistakes happen. When I went to pick up my renewal the chief missed signing mine (they had a stack). I walked out and noticed when I got in my truck. I walked back in and it was signed within the hour (the chief wasn't there at the time).

The law doesn't say anything about invalid licenses, or early renewals- or in fact what to do if a mistake has been found on the license after i has been issued. Guess the assumption is you'd see a mistake and get it fixed when you received it.

It might be worth playing Mickey the Dunce and go in and say "Hey I just noticed a date mistake on my pistol license, would you guys renew me now?" and go from there.

Mine doesn't expire until September- and I'll be in a new town by then....

hmmmm. I might try playing "Mickey the Dunce" just so I can try to become a plaintiff for this Photo ID nonsense that seems be be affecting towns and cities with big populations.

Mistakes happen. When I went to pick up my renewal the chief missed signing mine (they had a stack). I walked out and noticed when I got in my truck. I walked back in and it was signed within the hour (the chief wasn't there at the time).
I didn't notice it til now (or thought nothing of it at the time) and I'm now in a different town...

Back
Top Bottom