• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NH purchase, do you have to register in MA?

I plan on buying a Mossberg Cruiser 12g shotty in NH. My questions is, do I have to register the gun in MA and if so, how do I go about doing that? This dealer will not send to a FFL in MA because he does not want to deal with all the "MASS RULES" and regulations. Basically he is in CYA mode. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

It does comply with MASS regs. So I can just go to Four Seasons and ask for a form, fill it out and send it in? I am completely oblivious to this so any detailed info would be great.

Go up to NH and buy the shotgun,the FFL will want to see your LTC.Bring a trigger lock for transporting the shotgun back into MA.

When you get back(within 5 days I think) you have to send in a FA10 registering the shotgun with MA.Check 'registration' on the FA10 and put the NH FFL business name and town,you don't need his FFL#,if he gives it to you,use it.Fill out all the other stuff according to the directions.

You can pick up FA10's at your local police office,they should have them handy,or just ask the clerk for a few of them.You can also get trigger lock cables for free there.

Last edited:
Some NH stores actually have FA10 copies for their MA customers. A fair number of MA police stations have them; go in and ask. The most consistent way to get an FA10 is to call the CHSB. They'll mail you several for free.

Edit: The time to notify is 7 days.

when I called Four Seasons and game them the exact model shotgun I was going to purchase, they said it was MASS compliant.

Does anyone know what is the penalty (if any) for not sending in the form within 7 days? Have you heard anyone getting in trouble for sending it in late?

Does anyone know what is the penalty (if any) for not sending in the form within 7 days? Have you heard anyone getting in trouble for sending it in late?

Technically, the penalty is a $500-$1000 fine for the first offense and up to 10 years in prison for subsequent offenses. But no, nobody to my knowledge has ever gotten in trouble for sending it in late. It's not likely to even raise an eyebrow. Just get the form in as soon as you can and don't worry about it.

when I called Four Seasons and game them the exact model shotgun I was going to purchase, they said it was MASS compliant.

It's legal to purchase from an MA FFL, but I'm not sure about over state lines, because I forget whether it falls into the "shotgun" or "firearm" category.

NH is a contigious state and there are no restrictions on that. Law states that you can go to a contigious state and purchase and bring back the firearm and register in your own state. This is per Four Seasons. Nor are there any restrictions on the pistol grip.

NH is a contigious state and there are no restrictions on that. Law states that you can go to a contigious state and purchase and bring back the firearm and register in your own state.

Contiguous doesn't make a difference. You could go to Alaska and purchase a shotgun from an FFL if you'd like.

ramair2k said:
This is per Four Seasons.

Four Seasons is not a reliable source of legal information. I've heard incorrect advice given out by them on numerous occasions.

ramair2k said:
Nor are there any restrictions on the pistol grip.

Vellnueve is confusing the pistol grip with the lack of a buttstock. If it doesn't have a buttstock, it isn't a shotgun (per 18 USC 44 § 921(5)). It is either a short-barreled shotgun or simply a firearm. The NFA definitions are similar, making it either a short-barreled shotgun or an Any Other Weapon.

Last edited:
Thank you for clarifying all of that for him, jdubois, as I was about to write a scathing Scrivener-like response.

The Cruiser model, IIRC, is a pistol grip, no buttstock model. Thus, wouldn't it be a firearm rather than a shotgun, and perhaps not transferrable from an NH FFL to an MA resident?

easy fellas I am new at this hence the reason I am reaching out to you guys for assistance. Hopefully buying this firearm in NH and bringing it back to MASS is legal, if not then you guys saved me from making a mistake.

Thanks

The Cruiser model, IIRC, is a pistol grip, no buttstock model. Thus, wouldn't it be a firearm rather than a shotgun, and perhaps not transferrable from an NH FFL to an MA resident?

If it's not got a buttstock, then yes, it's likely nontransferable from an NH FFL to a MA resident.

easy fellas I am new at this hence the reason I am reaching out to you guys for assistance. Hopefully buying this firearm in NH and bringing it back to MASS is legal, if not then you guys saved me from making a mistake.

No sweat, ramair2k. You're asking the right questions.

If it's not got a buttstock, then yes, it's likely nontransferable from an NH FFL to a MA resident.

Does this fall under the same "problem" that's created with buying a stripped
AR lower out of state?

I knew that PGO shotguns were treated differently, but I thought they still
transfer as a rifle/shotgun, with the only difference being that the buyer had
to be 21.

-Mike

That's what I thought too.

I think we might have just committed a miracle and discussed something that hasn't been discussed here before!

Ok guys, so from what I am reading it is NOT OK for me to get this shotgun in NH and bring it back to MASS, fill out an FA-10 and register it with the state? Am I understanding this correctly?

Thanks for all the help on this guys.

Yes. You cannot purchase it in NH because it is not a rifle or shotgun under federal law and thus cannot be transferred to you by an FFL of another state. You have to get one here.

Back
Top Bottom