NH nonresident (MA) pistol and revolver license... what about rifles?

sorry if this sounds stupid, but the official .gov and pdf documents do not really speak of rifles.

if i wanted to join some NH gun ranges and carry my ar15 into the state, what paper work do i need?

i will sign up for the non NH res either way, but rather do it right the first time.

TY!

You do not need any paperwork to bring any gun (handgun or rifle) into NH. Just unload them and transport them into the state and have fun.

The only thing you need a non res P&R for is to carry a loaded handgun concealed on your person or in a vehicle. If you open carry it, no license is needed, but carrying loaded in a car is considered concealed, so keep that in mind.

Last edited:
You do not need any paperwork to bring any gun (handgun or rifle) into NH. Just unload them and transport them into the state and have fun.

The only thing you need a non res P&R for is to carry a loaded handgun concealed on your person or in a vehicle. If you open carry it, no license is needed, but carrying loaded in a car is considered concealed, so keep that in mind.

FIFY

great responses fellas. i have a nonrestricted license in MA, yet i still dont carry concealed, so it's a nonissue for me!

sorry if this sounds stupid, but the official .gov and pdf documents do not really speak of rifles.

if i wanted to join some NH gun ranges and carry my ar15 into the state, what paper work do i need?

i will sign up for the non NH res either way, but rather do it right the first time.

TY!

Good God in heaven they have you guys beat down like rented mules, don't they?

Is open carry of a handgun really legal. If I do it on a hiking trail hiking or campground in NH, will I get hassled?

Is open carry of a handgun really legal. If I do it on a hiking trail hiking or campground in NH, will I get hassled?

It is legal, and the state defends your right to do so. It doesn't mean you won't be questioned by a local officer, but if you have good knowledge of your rights, you are fine. Most towns that would bust balls have been spanked by the state in recent years.

Just don't OC loaded in the car, because it is considered concealed.
If asked to leave private property while OC'ing, you MUST leave. (stores, etc.)

...Just don't OC loaded in the car, because it is considered concealed...

Just to clarify, the issue is not that it's "considered concealed", but rather without a P&R license, a loaded handgun anywhere in a vehicle is prohibited...

RSA 159:4 said:
No person shall carry a loaded pistol or revolver in any vehicle...without a valid license...

Also, case law suggests that a loaded magazine contained within the same vehicle as an unloaded handgun constitutes a "loaded pistol or revolver".

Thanks.

I'll be OCing at a remote campsite. I doubt I will even be seen by anybody and just want the weapon at night, miles from nowhere.

TY!

NH is free by default. The P/R license gets you NOTHING other than the following two things:

-You can have a loaded handgun in your vehicle with the license.

-You can legally carry a loaded handgun concealed.

That's it. NH is free by default otherwise, you don't need special permission bring guns into the state, or to shoot recreationally or hunt (beyond a hunting license, obviously). You can even carry a loaded handgun openly without a license, it's just the car thing makes it untenable.

-Mike

Since the original question dealt with a rifle, it's worth pointing out that there is a general (anti-poaching) prohibition of loaded long guns in (on, leaning against, etc) motorized vehicles. As long as you don't have a loaded mag in in the rifle or one in the chamber you should be fine.

There are unsubstantiated rumors of someone being charged for target shooting from the hood (or was it the tailgate) of their truck. Nobody can come forward with details or how the case was ended, but it could ruin your weekend.

Back
Top Bottom