NH Non-resident permit qualifies under Gun Free School Zones Act exception?

Regarding the "Gun Free School Zones Act", I understand the open question about whether the NH Resident permit is a qualifying permit for the exception in the federal law, specifically:

18 USC 922 (q) said:
if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license...

My question is, does the New Hampshire non-resident permit meet this requirement? As this permit is issued by the State Police, it would seem to qualify under this clause in the Federal law?

No. Not unless there is an exclusionary clause in the law that says that non resident permits can ONLY be signed off on by the NHSP, and I doubt that exists. The RSA's, from what I remember, are a lot wider than that, which fails the GFSZ test.

That said, depending on what you think of US v Lopez, the issue might be somewhat moot. It considerably raised the bar for a GFSZ case... I am curious if there has been even a single GFSZ case brought in federal court since then... would be an interesting read.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Us_v_lopez

-Mike

No. Not unless there is an exclusionary clause in the law that says that non resident permits can ONLY be signed off on by the NHSP, and I doubt that exists.
RSA 159:6:
"...the director of state police, or some person designated by such director, upon application of a nonresident"

That will almost certainly qualify and is the only nonresident option described in the law. But I think the wrong issue is being raised.

ETA: ScottS sums it up well here: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...-by-a-school?p=1018397&viewfull=1#post1018397

It was also my (perhaps mistaken) understanding that the issue was not just about the issuing authority; rather it is about the nature of the limits on license issuance.

The GFSZA says:

"verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license"

but RSA 159:6 says just "is a suitable person to be licensed"

There is a question on that ground, I thought.

(Not an NH attorney.)

I know the issue is supposedly stemming from non-LEOs being able to issue (e.g., the selectmen), but I think that is a stretch to say all towns would then fail. There is considerable (not on this site) chatter about the other question - as to whether the standards for license issuance are an issue under the Act.

Last edited:
I have my own opinion on the NH License with regard to the GFZA, as well as whether or not the "new and improved" GFZA will survive a challenge after the Lopez ruling, but everyone has to make that decision for themselves.

One factoid worth considering: When Richard Young was arrested for sneaking past security at the Zero-bama "town hall forum" at Portsmouth High School in 2009, and found with a loaded gun in his pickup truck in the school parking lot, he was charged with having a concealed gun without a license and criminal trespassing. He was not charged with a violation of the GFZA, nor was it ever discussed in any of the surrounding media.

Take it for what it's worth.

Back
Top Bottom