NH HB687 Red Flag Gun Confiscation bill vote scheduled for 1/8 or 1/9/2020"

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Would you guys take your mass legislation discussion somewhere else?

This is a NH Red Flag thread
I agree and have deleted my recent posts on this to not drag things further into the mud. Boston XXXX if you want to continue this, start a new thread in OT.

-Mike

Reactions: jpk

jpk

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I got several supportive replies from my representatives. And two from the NH EPRO bill sponsors. One was wish-washy, like “I support 2ndA & Gunowners as well as common sense gun laws.” The other was more interesting - the representative included a link to a 2016 study looking at the Connecticut ERPO law with 1999-2013 data, showing *some* efficacy.

This suggests that Giffords/Everytown/Bloomberg is seeding legislators with background (and no doubt money) to organize behind the bill. I sent a polite pushback noting the study she offered from CT over 13yr was an early and limited study vs Lott’s study of CA, CT, IN, WA over 36yr showing no efficacy of ERPO laws.

Some NH Democrat legislators are rabid, anti-gun liberals but others are just left of the fence, even if not on it. They are fed the background that support the gun-control agenda. You know...like the 3yr preliminary study of the 1994-2004 AWB that showed it was working while the final 10yr study showed it didn’t work. Nobody says “While early, limited studies showed the laws work, broader long-term studies showed they didn’t, but we’re going with the early, limited studies to support our views.” Cause that would look stupid and deceitful. They like to lie by omission and mislead but not out-and-out lie.
You happen to have a link to Lott's 36 yr study you could share?

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I was at the hearing today and it was clear that only gun groups that were opposing this bill were NHFC and Gun Owners of America. There were two others that spoke against it (Penny Dean and one other) The balance of those were in support of taking away our firearms.

Prime sponsor said this was not a "Gun bill" yet the word firearm is mentioned 25 times where as the word finance is only mentioned 5 times.....
Maybe the sponsor has been smoking some of the stuff that he wants to decriminalize...

Last edited:
Reactions: jpk

jpk

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hearing 3/5 has apparently been moved to Reps Hall.....everyone needs to show up for this hearing.....dont care if you live in NH or elsewhere......

jpk

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hearing is this tues at 10a

They moved it to reps hall expecting a big turnout.....we better not disappoint

Who's attending?

edmorseiii

Navy Veteran
NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I'm at the Dr right now, I'll be heading in from Barrington as soon as I can leave here.

Tan jacket, black hooded sweatshirt, blue jeans.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
GOP chair PR against HB687:

Concord, NH: NHGOP Chairman Stephen Stepanek released the following statement regarding HB 687-FN, relative to extreme risk protection orders:

“This is yet another bill that seeks to encroach upon constitutional rights here in New Hampshire. This bill, HB 687-FN, sponsored entirely by Democrats, is a model of so-called “Red Flag” legislation - allowing anyone to utilize the New Hampshire judicial system to limit the rights of anyone else in the state before a situation can be fully examined. This is a dangerous disarming of the people of New Hampshire and encroaches upon their judicial rights. Legislators would be wise to realize that New Hampshire is constantly among the safest states in the nation because of our strong support of the Second Amendment, and our strong Second Amendment community. All Republican legislators should uphold our platform and vote against this severely flawed legislation.”

edmorseiii

Navy Veteran
NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
The hearing was out of order at that point.
I was truely upset with what I saw there. This nonsense, on top of the limiting of time for people to speak, to the sponsor of the bill berating and bullying the woman from the NH-ALCU to the point she walked out and left, for airing their concerns about the bill.

I attempted to locate the speaker to make a complaint, but by the time I got his office, the door was closed and no one was around. I was up against the clock and had to leave, so I am trying to collect my thoughts and make a coherent letter to send to my reps, the speaker, and the Governor's office.

Anyone else I should add to this list?

edmorseiii

Navy Veteran
NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Firstly, from a Ma**h***, Thank you!

Secondly; The press?
I wish I were quicker and got my phone out to record it. I was kind if shocked to see it happen in person on the floor of rep hall.

jpk

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I was truely upset with what I saw there. This nonsense, on top of the limiting of time for people to speak, to the sponsor of the bill berating and bullying the woman from the NH-ALCU to the point she walked out and left, for airing their concerns about the bill.

I attempted to locate the speaker to make a complaint, but by the time I got his office, the door was closed and no one was around. I was up against the clock and had to leave, so I am trying to collect my thoughts and make a coherent letter to send to my reps, the speaker, and the Governor's office.

Anyone else I should add to this list?
Letter to the editor outlining the gross disrepect for process, folks testifying and other reps by the speaker and various committee chairs?

There are multiple issues with the speaker and stunts he's pulled and outlining a history of it publicly will illustrate to voters that they made a mistake in 2016......

jpk

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This is the prime sponsor of the bill

Welcome to the NH General Court | NH General Court

She demonstrated yesterday that she is wholly unsuitable to be a rep based on her behavior, statements and actions.

She submits a last minute amendment not made avail to the public

The copies provided to the committee were even missing 5 pages.

That right there should have been the end of the hearing pending opportunity for the public and reps to review the NEW bill.....its a complete rewrite......

Then she got up and flat out lied about the bill.......said the court "MAY" do a and b.......when we could see clearly in copies distributed that the bill said the court "SHALL" do a and b......

The bill goes on to contradict itself.......right on first page it says it doesnt apply to situations/etc reletive to current DV laws......then contradicts itself in next paragraph by outlining eligible respondants that are already included in current DV laws.....

She then lied and said this is ONLY for "EXTREME"/URGENT situations and the bill show that it extends to any event within the last 2 YEARS..........

Bill extends to ANY relative.....so just like the stunt in Vt where the uncle was subject to confiscation due to nephew alleging he could break into his house to STEAL guns.....same could happen in NH under this bill

Bill extends to ANY sort of romantic partner.....so as Penny testified.....you meet someone on internet dating site and go to coffee twice and boom.....thats a romantic partner.......

The problems with the bill are endless.......if the committee doesnt table this given all the problems illustrated by an endless congo line of testimony then I would argue we have to consider that we have a committee/members that are seriously enguaging in patently criminal actions under the NH Constitution

jpk

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
To quote 1776 in a different thread......this seems to fit perfectly in this thread

Everyone has a right to be stupid. Politicians just abuse the privilege

Kevin_NH

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
HB 687 was "retained in committee" today:
Not saying Red Flag in NH is dead, but has a nasty cough and looking decidedly pale. Bills retained in committee must go to the full House for action this year or next year; generally this status indicates the bill is unlikely to pass in its current form.

Last edited:
Top Bottom