NH Handgun Compliance Q+A Thread

doobie

Banned
Cuz I'm feeling left out that MA got one...

NH Handgun Compliance Q+A/FAQ:

Q: What do I need to buy a handgun in NH?

A: First, you must not be a forbidden person per the Federal Government and be able to pass a NCIS. Next you need to search the phone book or talk to someone and find out where a local gun store is. Before you run out the door there is some very important information you need to ensure you have.
  1. Check your bank account and make sure you have sufficient money
  2. Withdraw sufficient amount of cash from the bank
  3. Ensure you can charge the value of the handgun you have been eyeing as well as sufficient ammo to enjoy it with

Q: What about magazines that hold more than 10 rounds?

A: You may purchase and possess magazines greater than 10 rounds, but note that you may also find some firearms have less than 10 rounds. These are also perfectly acceptable for purchase and possession, but has the downside that you need to reload your magazines more often.

Q: My dealer doesn't agree with these standards! His are stricter than the above!!!!

A: Find another dealer, there are lots of them.

Q: My dealer doesn't agree with these standards! his are LESS STRICT than the above.

A: If your dealer sells firearms via straw sales or without doing a NCIS check you may wish to report him to the proper authorities, however I highly recommend mentioning it to the dealer first and determine why it happened or if you mis-interpreted what happened.

Q: My LEO friend says he can get any handgun he wants from XYZ dealer, this doesn't agree with the above!?!?!

A: A LEO is no better than any other citizen.

Q: How do I know if a handgun is NH compliant or not? How do all these rules/lists affect me?

A: If it isn't a fully automatic handgun and it is less than or equal to .50 calibre (exception for black powder), it is NH compliant. No rules, no lists, no worries, and most importantly, NO B.S. If it is fully automatic you'll need to file for an NFA tax stamp. You likely won't need to worry about your CLEO signing off, 99.9% do, but a trust may be a better route in case you are worrying about what will happen with your NFA device in case something happens to you.

Q: I was told that suppressors are evil and I can't posses them, is that true?

A: NO! You may own as many or as few suppressors as you want (and can afford). Please note that you must pay a tax stamp for EACH one. You also need to purchase it first to obtain the SN to apply for the tax stamp.

Last edited:
A: If it isn't a fully automatic handgun and it is less than .50 calibre (exception for black powder), it is NH compliant. No rules, no lists, no worries, and most importantly, NO B.S. .

I didn't realize that NH even had a .50 caliber restriction at all.
I'm guessing this had changed now that the .500 S&W has become so popular?

I didn't realize that NH even had a .50 caliber restriction at all.
I'm guessing this had changed now that the .500 S&W has become so popular?

I could be wrong...but I thought .50 caliber was a federal restriction... if I'm wrong I'll remove it...

I could be wrong...but I thought .50 caliber was a federal restriction... if I'm wrong I'll remove it...
Is this what we're talking about ?

http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37784

New Hampshire: Governor John Lynch Signs Pro-Hunting Legislation into Law!

Friday, May 23, 2008

Recently, Governor John Lynch (D) signed House Bill 1266 into law.
HB 1266 allows hunters to use 50 caliber pistols to take deer and moose
in areas of the state where pistols are permitted for hunting.

Please continue checking http://www.nraila.org/ for further updates
on pro-hunting issues in New Hampshire.

What doob is talking about is the ATF thing that says that anything over .50 is an NFA DD, save for shotguns and the like. (With an exception for rifles used for sporting purposes, eg, large bore "hunting" rilfes and the like... )

-Mike

Y'know... I used to get mad seeing stuff like this. But then I realized...

It's saving my marriage. Honest.

Because if I lived in NH, where I could purchase any handgun I wanted, my wife would kick my @$$ to the curb after about the first week...

[grin]

Back
Top Bottom