• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Nh Ccp

Hello all, I will be 19 next year adn will be attending college in NH. I am currently a MA resident. I will be living in an off campous apartment so that I can keep my hunting firearms. My question is can I get my NH concealed carry permit at my age and carry if my father gives me the weapon. I read the laws on the NAR-ILA website and this seemed to work. There was no minimum age listed and according to state and federal law my parent can transfer me a firearm reguardless of age.

I believe in MA you need to be over the age of 21 to receive a LTC license.
I am not sure of NH.. I will see if I can drum it up on the web.

The issue is getting the gun.....

I may be wrong here, however if you dad lives in MA, he cannot transfer that gun to you until you have the proper license. If you move out of MA and into NH, he wouldn't be able to transfer the gun to you either, it would have to go through a NH FFL. That being the case, you would have to check to see that you could legally accept the transfer from an FFL if you are under 21.

I believe that there is a federal law that prevents an FFL from selling a handgun to someone under 21.

As has already been said, your father (a MA resident) cannot purchase the weapon and transfer it to you (a NH or MA resident). If you were to make NH your home state you could (I believe there is a waiting period from another NES poster) purchase the firearm in a private sale, which would rule out buying it frmo the NH shop. This MIGHT make it tempting to get a friend to buy it and sell it to you but that would considered a straw purchase which is also illegal. So you are in kind of a pickle here.

Both points are correct. MA law won't allow a transfer to an unlicensed person, and won't issue an LTC to anyone under 21. Federal law prohibits interstate transfers of handguns except through an FFL holder, and also prohibits FFL holders from transfering to anyone under 21.

However, that leaves open the possibility that a parent could legally allow their minor dependent to borrow one of their handguns without formally transfering it. In that case, the parent would be the only one who could legally take the handgun either to or from NH, but the student could legally possess, carry (with an NH LTC) and use it in NH.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom