Nh boating

This isn't gun specific but i figured it is better off here then in general. My question is in regards to boating in nh. I know you need a boating education card but it is required you take the exam in person. I live in MA so I'm tomb to find a way around that. They accept other state issued NASBLA approved licenses in nh. Does anyone know of a state department that offers a boating course online. I know NY accepts the boat-ed websites exam and course, however I don't believe it is state issued, just state approved. NH requires the license be state issue.
I can eventually schedule time to take it in person, but would prefer not to do it while on vacation. Any insight is appreciated.
Sent from my phone while at work. Excuse any typos

I don't know of any online courses but the US power squadron or coast guard auxillery both offer courses that are compliant. They both require a multi week commitment though. The NH course can be taken in one day and your good to go.

Ooh ooh, pick me!

Yes, you can do the NASBLA boating course for NH here:

https://www.boat-ed.com/newhampshire/?gclid=CNn_ibj9tcYCFYc6gQodBhoFQg

Then you take the online test. If you pass, you pay $35. You get a certificate that grants you eligibility to take the proctored exam that happens at multiple locations in NH once a week. My wife took the on line course yesterday, then passed with an 89%, and will be taking the proctored exam on Wednesday.

When you pass the proctored exam (they correct it on site), you get a temp copy of the "education license/card), and you send a copy to NH DMV with a check for $10, and in 3 weeks, you get your card in the mail.

See if you can beat my time/score on the proctored exam: 13 minutes and 97%.

80% is passing....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Take the NASBLA course online out of Penn., the state of NH Accepts any NASBLA approved course. Pass it and you get a "Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commision Boating Safty Education Certificate " easy peasy.

Last edited:
I have one I took through the CT state back in 2000, its been 15 years since then and now live in RI. A few years ago I got pulled over on Lake Winnipesaukee while going the speed limit. The guy got all confused because the boat was registered in NH to my at the time GF, I had a RI drivers license and a CT marine license. Needless to say the guy got confused and frustrated and found an easier option to chase down the guy making a wake in a no wake zone.

Ooh ooh, pick me!

Yes, you can do the NASBLA boating course for NH here:

https://www.boat-ed.com/newhampshire/?gclid=CNn_ibj9tcYCFYc6gQodBhoFQg

Then you take the online test. If you pass, you pay $35. You get a certificate that grants you eligibility to take the proctored exam that happens at multiple locations in NH once a week. My wife took the on line course yesterday, then passed with an 89%, and will be taking the proctored exam on Wednesday.

When you pass the proctored exam (they correct it on site), you get a temp copy of the "education license/card), and you send a copy to NH DMV with a check for $10, and in 3 weeks, you get your card in the mail.

See if you can beat my time/score on the proctored exam: 13 minutes and 97%.

80% is passing....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, but your a coastie!! You could probably teach the friggin class.

By the way, NASBLA is only one letter off of a very different organization. You a member there too?[shocked]

I took my NH test on line in 2006. I'm from Ma. I got the study materials sent to me. No proctor and I believe you could take the test until you passed. I believe things changed right after that year and made it a little more difficult.

The one "gotcha" I've seen unique to Nah is they classify a paddle board or wind surfer as a boat and ticket you if you don't have a pfd. Most guys duck tape them to the bow.

NH teaches the MSF new rider course themselves, but the ORV license is their own concoction focused on rules: they don't recognize the MSF Dirt Rider course. The administrator told me they don't use it "Because I've never heard of it."

Yeah, but your a coastie!! You could probably teach the friggin class.

By the way, NASBLA is only one letter off of a very different organization. You a member there too?[shocked]

Hahahahahaha. Coincidentally, I know the guy that designed their BOAT training course, for NASBLA. They use old retired coasties to run their training weeks at different locations through out the country. It's a fairly small community.

and I'm pretty sure your one letter off card fell out of your wallet the other day..... Lmao

Take the NASBLA course online out of Penn., the state of NH Accepts any NASBLA approved course. Pass it and you get a "Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commision Boating Safty Education Certificate " easy peasy.

Upon further research, im just unsure of one thing. If you take the Penn. Test on Boat-Ed, is it ISSUED by boat ed and accepted in Penn., or is it ISSUED by Pennsylvania.....Because NH state Law says the boater certificate you have must both be issued by a state agency, and be NASBLA approved.

The one "gotcha" I've seen unique to Nah is they classify a paddle board or wind surfer as a boat and ticket you if you don't have a pfd. Most guys duck tape them to the bow.

NH teaches the MSF new rider course themselves, but the ORV license is their own concoction focused on rules: they don't recognize the MSF Dirt Rider course. The administrator told me they don't use it "Because I've never heard of it."

Same thing applies to stand-up paddleboards.

Upon further research, im just unsure of one thing. If you take the Penn. Test on Boat-Ed, is it ISSUED by boat ed and accepted in Penn., or is it ISSUED by Pennsylvania.....Because NH state Law says the boater certificate you have must both be issued by a state agency, and be NASBLA approved.
Across the top of my certificate it reads Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Fish And Boat Commission . dont know what else, sent them my $ they sent this. I'm good.

FYI if just vacationing:

14 Day Temporary Safe Boating Certificate

http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/nhsp/fob/marine-patrol/boating-education/temporary.html

Field Operations Bureau
Marine Patrol Unit
Boating Education Program
14 Day Temporary Safe Boating Certificate

Under the provisions of New Hampshire RSA 270-D:14, a "14 Day Temporary Certificate" option will be made available whereby a boater who takes the test and passes it will be issued a boating safety certificate valid only in the State of New Hampshire and for only 14 days. In addition to the 14 Day Temporary Certificate, there are other more permanent options available that are NASBLA (National Association of State Boating Law Administrators) approved and recognized all over the country.

The 14-Day Temporary Certificate is only a short-term solution for your boating certification and it can only be used once. In order to participate in the 14 Day Temporary Certification, you can contact the New Hampshire Department of Safety at 1-888-254-2125 to find out where the closest location is to you or you can also determine where these locations are based on a sign at their location identifying them as a 14 Day Temporary Certificate Agent.

Individuals must be a minimum of 16 years of age to take the test and must get at least 80% to pass the test. If the individual fails, he or she will have the option to take another test at another date or elect to pursue one of the other options for certification. Individuals must provide picture identification at the time of the test.

If you have any further questions about the 14 Day Temporary Certification option, please call us at 1-888-254-2125.

do I need any kind of license to boat... I just picked up a little bass boat over the weekend just got it running and ready for my maiden voyage..

I don't think MA requires it......
Youth between 12 and 15 years of age must complete an approved basic boating course in order to operate a motorboat without adult supervision. Upon successful completion of such a course, students are issued a state "boating safety certificate" which must be in the possession of the certified operator when underway. Personal watercraft users who are 16 or 17 years of age must also complete such a boating course. Youth less than 16 years of age are not allowed to operate personal watercraft.

do I need any kind of license to boat... I just picked up a little bass boat over the weekend just got it running and ready for my maiden voyage..
No, just registration if it has a motor.

Sweet..... its registered and ready to go.... 15ft glass bass boat.... with a 90hp merc...
Should be fun

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Sweet..... its registered and ready to go.... 15ft glass bass boat.... with a 90hp merc...
Should be fun

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Its a gas and should be wicked with the light boat and a 90 pushing ! Unbelievable that in this friggin over regulated state we don't need a boating license (YET)

Its a gas and should be wicked with the light boat and a 90 pushing ! Unbelievable that in this friggin over regulated state we don't need a boating license (YET)

I agree that it's odd that there is no requirement in MA. But, as I live on the north shore, I can tell you it's easy to wander into NH waters on the coast, which extend well beyond 3 miles from the shore in the area of the Isle of Sholes. I've also talked to quite a few MA boaters who head to lake Winni, and have no idea that they need the operators course. I've had others say that they are exempt as MA residents, which is completely untrue.

In fact, in NH, you have to possess the certification on you when you operate. Every Harbormaster along the coast can and will enforce this law. They see the MS hull numbers as well as everyone else.

Here is some light reading:

http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/nhsp/fob/marine-patrol/boating-education/

Dig through and you will see a $20 testing-out option, only good in NH, which may be the cheapest way to go. This does not get you a NASBLA certification card tho.

I would say just take the online-only PA course, as previously mentioned. It's about $45, and it's one and done - for life. I did the NH course that required a trip to NH for the proctored exam. That killed a half-day going back and forth.

I took my NH test on line in 2006. I'm from Ma. I got the study materials sent to me. No proctor and I believe you could take the test until you passed. I believe things changed right after that year and made it a little more difficult.
Same here. And it was an open book exam. You needed to be a real dummy not to get a 100% on the first try. I took it for all my family and then some. Jack.

If MA had a boating lake\vacation area like Winnipesaukee it would be regulated similarly. From what I was told by the King's men in my NH Boating class was most of the crap was a direct results of the drunk idiots on Winnipesaukee. I wonder what percentage of waterfront property owners on Winnipesaukee are from MA.

So my wife and I have taken the U.S Coast Guard Auxiliary Boating Skills and Seamanship Course and I have also taken the U.S Coast Guard Auxiliary Navigating with GPS Course. Do these cover you in NH? I don't have any little wallet cards. Just the 8 1/2 x 11 certificates we got at the end of the class.

Back
Top Bottom