NH Alert! The DoS Has Changed the P&R License Application Form!**UPDATE POST 406

We (PACking NH Leadership and a prior EC who is great on firearms) had a meeting with Sweeney today. Details to follow soon in a NHFC email.

Keep up the pressure as Sweeney does not want to include page two on future forms and that is NOT acceptable.

NH needs to be a SHALL issue state and by making this last change, Sweeney and his superiors (Maggie and Barthelmes) need to be held responsible for their collaboration with this total mockery of the rule making process.

Maggie failed to get her anti-gun bills passed in the house and now she is trying to do this through a run-around-of -the-legislature.

PS. Vote Hemingway. Walt funds ANTI-GUN candidates with lots of personal money.

Last edited:
We (PACking NH Leadership and a prior EC who is great on firearms) had a meeting with Sweeney today. Details to follow soon in a NHFC email.

Keep up the pressure as Sweeney does not want to include page two on future forms and that is NOT acceptable.

NH needs to be a SHALL issue state and by making this last change, Sweeney and his superiors (Maggie and Barthelmes) need to be held responsible for their collaboration with this total mockery of the rule making process.

Maggie failed to get her anti-gun bills passed in the house and now she is trying to do this through a run-around-of -the-legislature.

Really?

Oh FFS...

I'm voting Hemingway, I like him, seems like a squared away guy.

I totally agree and applaud you for making these requests. I was only saying their response seems to be in compliance with 91-A so far.

I was actually going to suggest you request any emails discussing changes. With that said, I imagine any damning emails will be conveniently left out. If you are lucky, maybe they acknowledge existence of them but deny your request.

I got a copy of the opinion. Apparently the NHSC does not release these to the public (dumb IMHO), which is why they are not on the website.

Here is the relevant section:

However, this argument ignores the requirement in RSA91-A:4, IV that
within five business days of a Right-to-Know request, an agency must: (1)make
the requested records available; (2) deny the request in writing with reasons; or
(3) acknowledge receipt of the request in writing with a statement of the time
reasonably necessary to determine whether the request will be granted or denied.
See ATV Watch v. N.H. Dep't. of Resources & Econ. Dev., 155 N.H. 434, 440-41
(2007). The time period for responding to a Right-to-Know request is absolute;
delayed disclosure violates the statute. Id. at 440-41.

Below is the PDF opinion. Please save it and if you ever have to file an 91A and you get the run around, you can forward this along with your response (it is short at 4 pages).

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=F6C17C50CDE32ADF!107&authkey=!AAs9p_foRLFZmtw&ithint=file,pdf

I'm sending the updated request to DoS tomorrow when I'm back home.

The letter lists the specific exemptions to the NH Right To Know Law and how nothing I'm requesting is covered and also asks for the documents to be released immediately.

One more thing: I also asked for any DoS documents and communications related to the FOIA request itself. If emails were sent in regard to the request, I want them.

two votes for hemingway from my household. [cheers]

Only two? Vote early, vote often.

This went out today to the DoS:

August 20, 2014

Marta Modigliani, Esq.
Legal Counsel
Office of the Commissioner
Department of Safety
James H. Hayes Safety Building
33 Hazen Drive
Concord, NH 03305

Via Certified Mail Return Receipt Requested

RE: My Recent Request for Documents Related to Changes to New Hampshire Pistol & Revolver License Resident Application

Dear Ms. Modigliani,

I have received your letter dated August 15, 2014 regarding my recent Right to Know request addressed to Commissioner Barthelmes for all government records "concerning or relating to the recent changes to the New Hampshire Pistol & Revolver License Resident Application and the addition of the following questions ... a) 'Has any state or federal agency or licensing authority ever claimed that you are prohibited by law or regulation from possessing a firearm? b) Are you prohibited by federal law or regulation from possessing a firearm? c) Have you held a resident pistol/revolver license before?'"

You stated: “This office is in the process of researching your request and upon receipt of any government records, will conduct an analysis as to what information is properly subject to disclosure under the Right to Know Law. I expect it to take at least twenty (20) business days from the date of this letter to make this determination. Of course if I am able to complete it earlier, I will advise you accordingly.”

As I am sure you are aware, there are eight (8) very specific exemptions from New Hampshire’s Right to Know Law. They are:

1. Records of grand and petit juries
2. Records of parole and pardon boards
3. Personal school records of pupils
4. Records pertaining to internal personnel practices
5. Confidential, commercial or financial information
6. Test questions, scoring keys, and other examination data used to administer a licensing examination, examination for employment, or academic examinations
7. Personnel, medical, welfare, library user, videotape sale or rental, and other files whose disclosure would constitute an invasion of privacy
8. Records pertaining to matters relating to the preparation for and the carrying out of all emergency functions, including training to carry out such functions that are directly intended to thwart terrorist activity.

Quite frankly, I fail to see how any of those exemptions apply to records pertaining to changes in a public document.

The Supreme Court stated in its April 10, 2014 order regarding Law Warehouse v. New Hampshire Liquor Commission (Case No. 2013-0205) that “A public entity seeking to avoid disclosure under the Right-to-Know Law bears a heavy burden to shift the balance toward nondisclosure.”

The New Hampshire Supreme Court has also narrowly construed the term "confidential." A public body must have a basis for invoking an exemption and may not simply mark a document "confidential" in an attempt to circumvent disclosure. In Union Leader v. New Hampshire Housing Finance Authority the Court provided some guidance. It stated that the following standard test, while not being exclusive, can be used to determine whether or not a document is confidential. The Court stated that the party resisting disclosure must prove that disclosure is likely to: (i) impair the State’s ability to obtain necessary information in the near future; or (ii) cause substantial harm to the competitive position of the person from whom the information was obtained.

Please accept this letter as a request for the following:

1. Immediate release of all government records, including but not limited to meeting agendas, minutes, e-mails, electronic data, letters, internal communications, external communications, proposals, agreements, announcements, concerning or relating to the recent changes to the New Hampshire Pistol & Revolver License Resident Application and the addition of the following questions:
a. Has any state or federal agency or licensing authority ever claimed that you are prohibited by law or regulation from possessing a firearm?
b. Are you prohibited by federal law or regulation from possessing a firearm?
c. Have you held a resident pistol/revolver license before?

2. All government records, including but not limited to meeting agendas, minutes, e-mails, electronic data, letters, internal communications, external communications, proposals, agreements, announcements, concerning or relating to my original request for the above documents since receipt of the request.

If you deny any or all of this request, please cite each specific exemption you feel justifies the refusal to release the information and notify me of the appeal procedures available to me under the law.

Sincerely,

They're probably still going to take their time sending me anything and whatever I get will probably not be complete. After all, how the hell will I know.

But that's OK. Once I get the first set of documents I'll send FOIA requests to any other agencies involved and hopefully find anything the DoS didn't release the first time around.

Then it will get interesting.

"Has ANY state or federal agency or licensing authority ever CLAIMED that you are prohibited by law or regulation from possessing a firearm? "

Eh.

Im sure we'd like it better (resent it less?) if it read "stated" instead of "claimed" (as in, a formal action, naming me specifically, made in court) but that's how I'm thinking.

(IANAL nor do I play one on television.)

From the front page of the UL today:
Can someone find a link and post it....

Gun license form must change, critics say

Issue not resolved:
Some of the new wording will remain and that angers some gun owners.

By SHAWNE K. WICKHAM

New Hampshire Sunday News

The Department of Safety has agreed to remove some — but not all — of the changes to the concealed- carry gun license form that angered gun-rights advocates earlier this month.

But that’s not good enough, some say.

Earl Sweeney, assistant commissioner of safety, who approved the changes to the resident license form, met last week with several individuals who were outraged by those changes. And while both sides described the meetings as “cordial,”

Gun form

Continued from Page A1

the issue remains unresolved.

State law bars someone from carrying a loaded pistol or revolver in a vehicle or concealed on his person (except at his home or business) without a license.

And RSA 159:6 says local officials “shall issue” a license “if it appears that the applicant has good reason to fear injury to the applicant’s person or property or has any proper purpose, and that the applicant is a suitable person to be licensed. Hunting, target shooting, or self-defense shall be considered a proper purpose.”

At the center

“Proper purpose” and “suitable person” are not further defined. And that’s the crux of the controversy over the new license form.

Until recently, the reverse side of the form included a summary of “salient points” in state gun laws, including this: “Applicants not prohibited under federal or NH law from possession of a firearm shall be deemed suitable persons and the license shall be issued unless the applicant is so prohibited from possessing a firearm.”

However, the New Hampshire Supreme Court in May found that the Department of Safety had no authority to include such language, which does not appear in the statutes. So the department changed the license form, replacing the language on its reverse with the actual state laws.

Now gun-rights advocates are making a similar argument, contending that state officials had no authority to change the license application. They want the old form restored, including that previous language.

Rep. JR Hoell, R-Dunbarton, who serves as secretary of New Hampshire Firearms Coalition, said his meeting with Sweeney was “cordial” but he isn’t satisfied.

“I told him for open and transparent government, we need to keep the form the way it was,” he said. “The former language basically said if you can buy, you can carry.”

Issues arose after court case

Hoell said the form could be changed either through legislative rule-making or legislation. But he said the previous language, which had been on the form since 2003, needs to be restored until that can happen.

“I think what we’ve asked for is a perfectly reasonable solution,” Hoell said. “We’re talking four months more of re-issuing the old form and then when the legislative season starts, we can go hash out what should be the language on the form and what should be the language in the statute.”

The Supreme Court case involved a Hooksett man whose gun license application was denied. He appealed, arguing that he was a “suitable person,” based on the wording on the back of the license form.

The court wrote that the petitioner had not shown that the Department of Safety had rulemaking authority over resident gun licenses. Even if the wording on the back could be considered an administrative rule, such rules “may not add to, detract from or modify the law they are intended to implement.”

That language, the court said, “would remove all discretion to deny the application of a person not otherwise prohibited from possessing a firearm under federal or state law.

“The legislature easily could have drafted the statute in this manner if, indeed, it intended to deprive issuing authorities of any discretion over determining the suitability of an applicant. We conclude that such a ‘rule’ would impermissibly modify the statute.”

The new license form also includes three new questions for applicants to answer, including: “Has any state or federal agency or licensing authority ever claimed that you are prohibited by law or regulation from possessing a firearm?”

Changes will be made

Gun-rights supporters said the question was “unanswerable,” and last week Sweeney agreed. He told the Sunday News the form will be modified, and the new questions removed, “as quickly as possible.”

However, Sweeney said in an email, “We have not committed to any changes to the back of the form.”

In changing the form, he said, officials “had no ulterior motive to abridge any of the rights expressed in the U.S. or State Constitutions.”

“As a lifelong owner of numerous firearms myself, those rights protect me as well,” he said.

Concord attorney Penny Dean, who has been defending gun rights in New Hampshire courts for many years, also met with Sweeney last week. She, too, said her concerns were not allayed.

Dean said the real problem is that the courts “have been unfairly chipping away at our Second Amendment rights.”

“Here’s the really sad thing: It is not he who is the maker of the law who is the true giver of law; it’s he who has interpreted the law.”

“The bottom line is what’s happening is wrong, and we need to do something about that,” she said.

The previous language on the back of the form, she said, was not about making rules. “It’s putting out in plain language for the average citizen what the law says and means,” she said.

Dean contends the legislative history on gun laws here is clear: “If you own a gun, you get a license.”

She said the court’s “tortured and twisted and outcome-determinative interpretation of the law” may provoke an unintended consequence: More people will choose to openly carry their guns, which does not require a license in this state.

Confrontations possible

And that is likely to provoke more confrontations with police, Dean said, as people unfamiliar with the laws report people for carrying guns into stores and other public places.

Dean also thinks the controversy could revive a push to have judges elected, not appointed.

Meanwhile, Hoell said he plans to file legislation that would define “suitable person” in the law.

And he said what the Department of Safety did may backfire. “I think their efforts to try to maintain some level of discretion ... will actually hurt them,” he said. “Because there will be a great clamor amongst the gun owners to replace the current system with constitutional carry — no license required.”

[email protected]

Last edited:
So this all stems from the NH Supremes trying to introduce Massachusetts style Suitability to NH law?
Its nice how they state that the DoS cannot "legislate" on the form, but then Legislate from the bench.

From the front page of the UL today:
Can someone find a link and post it....

That language, the court said, “would remove all discretion to deny the application of a person not otherwise prohibited from possessing a firearm under federal or state law.

>>> this is the evil behind changing the form. It's the Massachusetts model of giving the CoP the ability to deny at their "discretion".

Changes will be made

Gun-rights supporters said the question was “unanswerable,” and last week Sweeney agreed. He told the Sunday News the form will be modified, and the new questions removed, “as quickly as possible.”

>>> GOOD

However, Sweeney said in an email, “We have not committed to any changes to the back of the form.”

And he said what the Department of Safety did may backfire. “I think their efforts to try to maintain some level of discretion ... will actually hurt them,” he said. “Because there will be a great clamor amongst the gun owners to replace the current system with constitutional carry — no license required.”

>>> This is what really needs to happen.

[email protected]

There is no doubt in my mind that this an attempt at backdoor restriction. I need to support NHFC even more than I do - keeping the mass crazy liberal think out of NH is possible as long as we remain vigilant.

Short aside. I spent some time in Emerson hospital (Concord MA) and I was astounded by a Toleman commercial I saw. This communist has the balls to say he wasn't going to wait for smart gun legislation - he was going to act on his own to fix the gun problem.

The wolves are at our door.

So I was made privy to Earl Sweeney's cell phone number. I was asked to share this information with NES by a long time member that for whatever reason, cannot post it themselves.
I was also asked to have everyone to "light up" his cell phone.
Have fun, men!

603-496-8859

"Hi, is this the Department of Safety? I have a question about the new form and how I should answer questions (x,y,z). Can you please advise me on how to respond?"

Bump. You guys heard Thehoyt in post 190, go light up Sweeney's cell phone number. Also light up the governor's office.

Remember, be polite. If the phones are shut off, then we have accomplished something lol.

ETA: By the way, NH is now a "may issue" state. Yes you heard that correct. NH is no longer a shall issue state. You can blame Evan Nappen for bringing the case and the NHSC for ruling the way they did.

If you want to restore NH to "shall issue" then you had better get up off you ass and donate to Andrew Hemingway AND support his campaign by door knocking.

The ONLY solution left that is peaceful is to elect a republican Governor. Hemingway is polling well right now against Havenstein and polls better than Havenstein against Hassan.

This. Is it. The battle lines have been drawn. If you do nothing, they you are to blame for keeping NH "may issue."

Signs: http://hemingway4nh.com/#sign

Donate to the Stark360 (supporting Hemingway):http://hemingway4nh.com/

Donate to Hemingway directly: http://www.andrewhemingway.com/donate/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom