NH ACTION ALERT: HB1589 ***DEFEATED***

So I have a question. Say this bill passes. Can two New Hampshire residents transfer a firearm across the boarder in Maine without violating federal laws? If so, as long as all aspects of the deal were initiated across the state line I would think it's outside the jurisdiction of the state of New Hampshire. Seems like that would be a major loop-hole if so.

A big thanks to Ken Park for taking the time to video these hearings. The world needs to see what nonsense is going on at the New Hampshire State House.

"We will see the finalized amendment in the next few minutes..." Rep. Butler
WHERE IS THE FINALIZED AMENDMENT???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK9O5kXCEMc&

-design

So has anybody gotten any sort of response from the swing votes so far? It sounds like people working for/with them are saying "we don't think this will pass", which is quite a bit different from "we aren't voting for it".

The subcommittee vote is tomorrow Tuesday at 2:30PM

I would like to see as many of you as possible attending, I will be there.

Does anyone know they are going for sure?

So has anybody gotten any sort of response from the swing votes so far? It sounds like people working for/with them are saying "we don't think this will pass", which is quite a bit different from "we aren't voting for it".

I have not, but I did talk to two of the Reps' spouses and had very friendly, even understanding conversations. Some of these reps are classic NH - they may be socially liberal but they are sympathetic to arguments that invasive gov means bad privacy and thus bad things, as suggested by Rep. Jones. The privacy angle is one we can almost all agree on as Granite Staters.

Please be polite and friendly. Honestly, with the exception of the sponsor and chair who are hellbent on ramming this through the wrong committee, these are our neighbors caught up in crap that, but for those two, should have not involved them.

The amendment will be available tomorrow. It is my understanding that the amendment is just as bad as the bill.
-Design

So.

I'm livid. Seething. Not that the bill passed per se. But how it passed.

You see Rep. Gidge, a swing vote has been sick for the past few days. He did not show up to the executive session. So the democrats did not have enough votes. My understanding is that there were enough votes to pass Rep. Jones amendment to relegate the bill to a study committee which would have at least delayed the bill.

But that didn't happen.

Instead Majority Leader Stephen Shurtleff SAT IN THE PLACE OF Rep Gidge and was the deciding vote against the study committee and for the bill. Shurtleff was also there to make sure the Dems stayed in line.

The vote for the bill (the final amendment I believe) was 10-8.

Roll call:

Here is how each committee member voted for HB1589
"Ought to pass with amendment"

The representatives who voted YES, in favor of passing this bill:

Representative Edward Butler (D-7), Chairman
Harts Location
(603) 271-3369
[email protected]

Representative Donna Schlachman (D-18), Vice Chairman
Exeter
(603) 772-4934
[email protected]

Representative Stephen Schurtleff (D-11)
Merrimack
Phone: (603)753-4563 Email: [email protected]

Representative Chris Muns (D-21), Clerk
Hampton
(603) 929-3629
[email protected]

Representative Catherine Mulholland (D-17)
Grafton
(603) 523-4497
[email protected]

Representative Joe Scarlotto (D-31)
Portsmouth
(603) 501-1800
[email protected]

Representative Ruth Heden (D-23)
Milford
(603) 673-7036
[email protected]

Representative Kermit Williams (D-4)
Wilton
(603) 654-7684
[email protected]

Representative Richard McNamara (D-38)
Hillsborough
(603) 464-0212
[email protected]

Representative Jill Hammond (D-24)
Peterborough
(603) 547-0715
[email protected]

The representatives who voted NO, in opposition to passing this bill:

Representative Donald Flanders (R-3)
Laconia
(603) 524-5369
[email protected]

Representative Pamela Tucker (R-23)
Greenland
Phone: (603)431-8982
Email: [email protected]

Representative Ronald Belanger (R-8)
Salem
(603) 893-0659
[email protected]

Representative Laura Jones (R-24)
Rochester
(603) 948-2264
[email protected]

Representative Emily Sandblade (R-18)
Manchester
(603) 845-3228
[email protected]

Representative John Hunt (R-11)
Rindge
(603) 899-6000
[email protected]

Representative Frederick Rice (R-21)
Hampton
(603) 929-1517
[email protected]

Representative Keith Murphy (R-7)
Bedford
(603) 488-5792
[email protected]

Substituting a committee member seems highly illegal to me. I'm not sure this has ever happened before.

Maybe it is time for more assertive methods. Because, current methods have not been working.

That is unfortunate. [frown]

So.

I'm livid. Seething. Not that the bill passed per se. But how it passed.

You see Rep. Gidge, a swing vote has been sick for the past few days. He did not show up to the executive session. So the democrats did not have enough votes. My understanding is that there were enough votes to pass Rep. Jones amendment to relegate the bill to a study committee which would have at least delayed the bill.

But that didn't happen.

Instead Majority Leader Stephen Shurtleff SAT IN THE PLACE OF Rep Gidge and was the deciding vote against the study committee and for the bill. Shurtleff was also there to make sure the Dems stayed in line.

The vote for the bill (the final amendment I believe) was 10-8.

Roll call:

Substituting a committee member seems highly illegal to me. I'm not sure this has ever happened before.

Maybe it is time for more assertive methods. Because, current methods have not been working.

So what's the next step? Does it go to the Criminal and Public Safety committee? It looks like democrats outnumber republicans there too.

Here are the rules for the House. I can find no mention of replacing a member in a committee with another members vote unless that original member has been dismissed from the committee. I also can find no mention of a rule saying you can't do what Shurtleff did. But what he did goes against everything a representative republic stands for. The ****ers in DC don't even pull this kind of bullshit.

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/house/abouthouse/houserules.htm

The bill goes to the floor on 2/12 or 2/13 for a full house vote. Start contacting your reps now.

So what's the next step? Does it go to the Criminal and Public Safety committee? It looks like democrats outnumber republicans there too.

We have seen what happens when the committee is short on votes, Shurtleff comes in, gives the evil look at the rest of the members to get them to vote his way and if need be, he then votes himself as a non-committee member.

Meaning. Normal methods of persuasion are not working. The Democrats fear Shurtleff more than us.

Shurtleff is my rep. :-(

I'm going to write to all the Reps on the commerce committee thanking them for their vote against the bill, or letting them know my disappointment in their support for HB 1589

Amherst has a rep (Chandley) who voted FOR license plate scanners. That's almost a guarantee she will vote in favor of this bill. Hansen and Rowe are probably solid "no" votes on this one. Chandley needs to hear her constituents will vote her out over the anti-privacy votes of hers.

Shurtleff is my rep. :-(

I'm going to write to all the Reps on the commerce committee thanking them for their vote against the bill, or letting them know my disappointment in their support for HB 1589

There is someone who is running against Shurtleff. He was at the Rally on the 19th of Jan. He is a young guy (20's) and seemed well spoken. I cannot for the life of me remember his name. I'll try to find out who he is.

Also, it is looking like Rep. Richard D McNamara isn't even an NH resident (and/or due to having an apt and business in Mass, spends more than half the year in Mass).

The bill goes to the floor on 2/12 or 2/13 for a full house vote. Start contacting your reps now.

I just wrote all the dems that voted for it and said I would make it my mission to make certain they would not be re-elected if they continue to support this bill! :)

Does anyone know Chairman Butler's business? I think it a Inn somewhere?

Last edited:
I just wrote all the dems that voted for it and said I would make it my mission to make certain they would not be re-elected if they continue to support this bill! :)

Does anyone know Chairman Butler's business? I think it a Inn somewhere?

Here it is:

http://www.notchland.com/

Phone: (603) 374-6131 or (800) 866-6131
E-mail: [email protected] www.Notchland.com
Address: 2 Morey Road (off Route 302), Hart's Location, NH 03812

If anything were to happen to that inn, I wouldn't shed a tear.

Ok, maybe just a little one since it is an old building.

Here is the email address for every house member in one shot.
To contact all 400 state reps at one time, send your email to this email address:

[email protected]

Fill up the email boxes.
-design
PM me if you have other ideas on how to fight this. We need to kill this and I am willing to do whatever it takes.

These are the people who DID NOT show up to the hearing or did not vote based on the roll call:

Ralph Doolan (r) Grafton- District 01. Lives in Littleton. [email protected] (603)259-3187

Angeline Kopka (d) Hillsborough- District 28. Lives in NASHUA. NO EMAIL (603)577-5561

Kenneth Gidge (d) Hillsborough- District 33. Lives in NASHUA. [email protected] (603)888-2355

Kopka is like 97. Gidge was against the original bill and might have been against the amendment and was supposedly sick.

But here is the thing, had Doolan showed up, the study amendment Laura Jones proposed would have passed. Now it wouldn't have killed the bill but it would have put it on the back burner.

Can we move this thread to the private page or should we start another thread there?
-design

Here is the email address for every house member in one shot.
To contact all 400 state reps at one time, send your email to this email address:

[email protected]

Fill up the email boxes.
-design
PM me if you have other ideas on how to fight this. We need to kill this and I am willing to do whatever it takes.

GET ON THIS GUYS!

Back
Top Bottom