NFA Christmas Present...

...from 2015!

2ll29gp.jpg

My wife and daughter wanted to give me a can for Christmas of 2015, so started the saga...

Using guidance from a shooting buddy of mine, they settled on a Gemtech GMT HALO. Finding none in stock locally, they went with a well-known out-of-state dealer who offered a great price, and even a .mil discount. Having bought the suppressor, they needed to get the Form 3 rolling, so the plan next needed to find an in-state dealer to take delivery and handle the Form 4. My buddy was afraid it might tip me off to the surprise, so they didn't want to ask me who I used for Title II stuff. My daughter (a trustee on our NFA Trust), first approached a well-known store many here will recognize, where she was patted on the head and told to run along like a good girl. She was steaming. (I found out about this all after the fact, remember.) So, instead, they gave me a "Silencer Certificate" for Christmas, and told me "You have to handle the transfer." No problem. On 26 Dec 15, I called Keith at Collectable Arms and asked he send out his FFL to the dealer for the Form 3. He sent it while we were talking on the phone. (This is one of the reasons they're the best.) I then called the dealer and told them to the FFL. They're in TX, and they laughed that it was the only one they'd get from NH.

I am on my way, or so I think...

For those who are new to the NFA process, prior to 13 Jul 16, it went like this:

Find can. Buy can.
If out of state (Dealer 1), find local FFL (Dealer 2) to receive said can.
Dealer 1 gets Dealer 2's info, and submits ATF Form 3 to transfer the can from Dealer 1 to Dealer 2.
When Form 3 is received, Dealer 1 mails can to Dealer 2.
When Dealer 2 receives can, dealer and new owner (me) fill out Form 4, and sends it, appropriate debris (depending on entity: photos, FP, trust docs, etc.) along with $200 to ATF
ATF approves Form 4, mails it back to Dealer 2, you can a call, and go pick up new toy.

As of Dec 16, Form 3's were taking about 6-8 weeks. Not wanting to be a dick, and adhering to the adage that a watched pot never boils, I avoided hounding Dealer 1 every Friday like I wanted to. ("Is it back yet? Is it back yet?") Finally, in early March I called. "Um...let me call you back." Shit. Next day: "Um...we misplaced that paperwork, and the Form 3 was never filed." Shit, shit, shit. "We'll fax it out today (9 Mar). And we'll include a free t-shirt."

Form 3 out: 9 Mar
Can arrives at CA: 24 May (77 days)

I get to CA on the 26th, and we send out the Form 4. (Alex fills out the Form, puts everything in the envelope in front of you, then shows you the addressed, stamped envelope. They are the best.)

Wait, wait, wait, and I get the call from Keith last night. Fast trip down and it's finally mine.

2a9pb92.jpg

The HALO fits right over a standard A2 style birdcage and locks into the blank firing adapter groove, so no need for new or proprietary muzzle brakes.

keewcy.jpg

Looks good in Flat Dark Earth (the best dark earth).

k013b9.jpg

Cozy in her new home.

For those who are counting, that's 449 days, flash to (silenced) bang, for a piece of metal on the end of a barrel. The HPA can't get here fast enough...

...from 2015!

2ll29gp.jpg

My wife and daughter wanted to give me a can for Christmas of 2015, so started the saga...

Using guidance from a shooting buddy of mine, they settled on a Gemtech GMT HALO. Finding none in stock locally, they went with a well-known out-of-state dealer who offered a great price, and even a .mil discount. Having bought the suppressor, they needed to get the Form 3 rolling, so the plan next needed to find an in-state dealer to take delivery and handle the Form 4. My buddy was afraid it might tip me off to the surprise, so they didn't want to ask me who I used for Title II stuff. My daughter (a trustee on our NFA Trust), first approached a well-known store many here will recognize, where she was patted on the head and told to run along like a good girl. She was steaming. (I found out about this all after the fact, remember.) So, instead, they gave me a "Silencer Certificate" for Christmas, and told me "You have to handle the transfer." No problem. On 26 Dec 15, I called Keith at Collectable Arms and asked he send out his FFL to the dealer for the Form 3. He sent it while we were talking on the phone. (This is one of the reasons they're the best.) I then called the dealer and told them to the FFL. They're in TX, and they laughed that it was the only one they'd get from NH.

I am on my way, or so I think...

For those who are new to the NFA process, prior to 13 Jul 16, it went like this:

Find can. Buy can.
If out of state (Dealer 1), find local FFL (Dealer 2) to receive said can.
Dealer 1 gets Dealer 2's info, and submits ATF Form 3 to transfer the can from Dealer 1 to Dealer 2.
When Form 3 is received, Dealer 1 mails can to Dealer 2.
When Dealer 2 receives can, dealer and new owner (me) fill out Form 4, and sends it, appropriate debris (depending on entity: photos, FP, trust docs, etc.) along with $200 to ATF
ATF approves Form 4, mails it back to Dealer 2, you can a call, and go pick up new toy.

As of Dec 16, Form 3's were taking about 6-8 weeks. Not wanting to be a dick, and adhering to the adage that a watched pot never boils, I avoided hounding Dealer 1 every Friday like I wanted to. ("Is it back yet? Is it back yet?") Finally, in early March I called. "Um...let me call you back." Shit. Next day: "Um...we misplaced that paperwork, and the Form 3 was never filed." Shit, shit, shit. "We'll fax it out today (9 Mar). And we'll include a free t-shirt."

Form 3 out: 9 Mar
Can arrives at CA: 24 May (77 days)

I get to CA on the 26th, and we send out the Form 4. (Alex fills out the Form, puts everything in the envelope in front of you, then shows you the addressed, stamped envelope. They are the best.)

Wait, wait, wait, and I get the call from Keith last night. Fast trip down and it's finally mine.

2a9pb92.jpg

The HALO fits right over a standard A2 style birdcage and locks into the blank firing adapter groove, so no need for new or proprietary muzzle brakes.

keewcy.jpg

Looks good in Flat Dark Earth (the best dark earth).

k013b9.jpg

Cozy in her new home.

For those who are counting, that's 449 days, flash to (silenced) bang, for a piece of metal on the end of a barrel. The HPA can't get here fast enough...

Sweet! (and congrats)

Congratulations! Now I just need the rest of NES to tell me their secrets for getting their spouses and/or children to spend hundreds of dollars on gun stuff for birthdays and christmas. [thinking]

It would not spend a day in my possession without being tried out. Well done, and enjoy.

Also, out the D-bags that ignored your daughter.

Unfortunately, I'm working today, but I'm off tomorrow...

Also, since we're all Shooters here, I wouldn't want to Out the offending store via a Post.

If HPA passes all the cupcakes will go apoplectic! They think all us racist gun owners will all of a sudden turn into James Bond type assassins. We'll be taking our dead silent Killy guns to do bad things.

People I know think suppressors make the gun completely sound-less?

They don't understand a suppressor all but doubles the size of an average hand gun making it much harder to conceal.

Suppressors I've seen reduce the sound IMHO 70% max?

Congratulations! Now I just need the rest of NES to tell me their secrets for getting their spouses and/or children to spend hundreds of dollars on gun stuff for birthdays and christmas. [thinking]

Laying pipe. Early and often. [smile] My wife asked me last Oct. if I wanted a silencer for christmas. I said, "What? Next christmas?". I think she was more disappointed than I was after I explained the process. [laugh]

Unfortunately, I'm working today, but I'm off tomorrow...

Also, since we're all Shooters here, I wouldn't want to Out the offending store via a Post.

I think I see what you did there. The very same FUDD store that wouldn't sell me a magazine with a capacity over 10, even when I have a residence in NH

Pew, pew, pew...

Braved the oncoming snow and took it out to the range today.

330tqvk.jpg

Light, surprisingly quiet (certainly hearing safe), and no discernible POI shift. I was banging the 8" steel plates at the 100 yard line with boring consistency.

On a 10.5" SBR, it's overall length, even with the can, is no more than a standard 16"-barreled carbine. I think it's going to find a permanent home on that SBR.

Pew, pew, pew...

Back
Top Bottom