Newton - LTC restriction removed

mbz4ever

Dealer
NES Member
This is a miracle, after 3+ year with restricted LTC simple letter with request to remove restrictions faxed over resulted in unrestricted LTC with in 5 days.
Newton have a new chief and no licensing officer at this time. Looks like everything is up to new chief.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They didnt tell you to write a letter when you initially received your LTC? They told me to wait a while, then write a letter saying I want the restrictions removed.

Last edited:
Looks like I'll be sending a letter to the new Chief as well. I moved to Chelmsford but my license doesn't expire for another 15 months. Could you PM the new Chiefs name and who you addressed it to?

Looks like I'll be sending a letter to the new Chief as well. I moved to Chelmsford but my license doesn't expire for another 15 months. Could you PM the new Chiefs name and who you addressed it to?

Assuming yoru current LTC was issue din Chelmsnford, there are only three ways for the system to process a restriction change:

1. The Chelmsford PD changes the restriction and requests a free new LTC from the FRB for you

2. The Chelmsford PD expires your LTC early; you then apply for and receive a new unrestricted one from your current town.

3. You wait for your current LTC to expire, and obtain an unrestricted one from your current town.

The common thread is that there is no way for you to get unrestricted before the current expiration without some sort of action from the Chelmsford PD.

Sorry Rob I should have been clearer in my post. My license was issued in Newton and I moved to Chelmsford after issuance (approximately one year ago).

MA_Shooter replace Chelmsford with Newton in post 6.
I am at the mercy of Newton since they were the issuing authority.
When it comes time for renewal I deal with Chelmsford and they become the issuing town.
Did that clarify it or make it even more confusing?

I plan on doing this for Somerville but don't think I can wait 3 years may give it a year worst that can happen is they no anyways

I have heard this from a couple sources. I have also heard through the wire that the new chief is pro-gun outside of his policies. But that is second hand knowledge.

I know under the old chief I had numerous conversations with the public safety committee, as well as the mayors office regarding his licensing policy to no avail, granted they did seem like they were trying to see my side of things. I'm glad this guy is pro civil-rights. Moreso than the last clown.

Mike

MA_Shooter replace Chelmsford with Newton in post 6.
I am at the mercy of Newton since they were the issuing authority.
When it comes time for renewal I deal with Chelmsford and they become the issuing town.
Did that clarify it or make it even more confusing?

It sounded like Newton cancelled the license (early) and then Chelsmford re-issued a new permit in 5 days without restrictions. Thanks for the clarification.

Hmm...

Chief Howard Mintz was sworn in on April 10, 2013. I got my restricted LTC a couple of days before that. Maybe I'll give the lady a call to see if the policy has changed. Good idea?

ok i'm completely confused with who issued what & when but i'm glad someone got their restriction lifted

Last edited:
This is a miracle, after 3+ year with restricted LTC simple letter with request to remove restrictions faxed over resulted in unrestricted LTC with in 5 days.
Newton have a new chief and no licensing officer at this time. Looks like everything is up to new chief.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sometimes when you ask nicely you get what you want....

Seriously, this is a positive trend in Newton.

This whole firearm thing is just way to personal to some of these State workers . . . From the PD to the State some wear in the process you encounter a person that has a personal problem with guns, others seem to pick and choose cause of their gun beliefs, no uniformity to it at all.

That's how shit slips through the cracks and starts problems.

Tim ~ [sad2]

I have heard this from a couple sources. I have also heard through the wire that the new chief is pro-gun outside of his policies. But that is second hand knowledge.

I know under the old chief I had numerous conversations with the public safety committee, as well as the mayors office regarding his licensing policy to no avail, granted they did seem like they were trying to see my side of things. I'm glad this guy is pro civil-rights. Moreso than the last clown.

Mike
This shows how "Relentless upbeat pressure" can change things over time.

I met a caterer who lived in Saugus and has businesses in Boston and several other places. He was often alone at work 2-5am in a primarily cash business. When Saugus got an anti Chief who was rumored to be planning to deny all unrestricted LCF, he went right to the Board of Selectmen and explained his concerns and why he felt the Chief's policy was unreasonable. Others complained as well and the guy didn't last a year.

Most antis are like most gun owners: they seldom get off their assess to do anything. In this case all it took was a polite letter. Now write a letter to the BOS commending the Chief for his effective work!

I highly doubt my actions contributed to the ouster of cummings. At most they may have put it on the list, but Im skeptical of even that. The fact is if you have 30 people calling the mayors office it cant hurt.

Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

I gave them a call this morning. As of now, with the new Chief, their policy is still the same. New applicants still have to wait a year. They are unsure if it will change later.

Renewed my LTC-A yesterday. I had T&H restrictions on my license. I was told to fax a request to the Chief to get my restrictions lifted. They said I will probably received my license in December, do to them being backed up. they did not say if my restrictions would be removed.

Back
Top Bottom