Newbie questions

So I decided I want to get into hunting. The only problem is I don't know the slightest thing about hunting. I haves class A LTC, I am assuming I would need a hunting liscence. I don't know if there are differnt types or what the differnt seasons are.
Next I think I would want to hunt some birds feasants ducks to start and later move on to bigger game like deer. So what kid of equiptment would I need? What type game would be good to hunt for newbies.
Lastly I live in Somerville and drive a mini Cooper. So driving up mountains won't work. Where should I go hunting?

Thanks for any advice.

This time of year the Boston Common and Public Gardens are great place to go. Pigeons are in season...

[smile]

J/K... but those dirty, smelly things drive me crazy!!!

Pheasant season just closed. Duck and goose will go again after deer season. Make sure you practice wing shooting and you have a shotgun or access to one. Then you have to get a hunting license and stamps state, federal. Tough to all pull together especially if you haven't had a hunting license before since you would have to take a course that isn't run year round.

You might have to plan for months away. Go to MA fish & Wildlife site and read up on your hurdles.

Dana

Start with a hunter safety course. It is mandatory in order to get your hunting license but also many of your questions will be answered there.

all waterfowl and coyote hunting is open during deer shotgun season. all others are closed from nov 30 to dec 12

Only Coastal Waterfowl is open during the shotgun season. Central and Berkshire closed on 11/28 and reopen on 12/11.

the way i read it isof page 11 top left hand pagesurrounded by green border, clearly states that zones 1-11, 13 & 14 nov 30 - dec12
and zone twelve is closed between nov 30 to dec5
except waterfowl and coyote
so i gotta disagree .

Back
Top Bottom