• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

newbie question sporting clays

going to try shooting sporting clays for first time next week.

some dumb newbie questions :
1) I have a Stevens 311 sidexside 20 GA shotgun - this should be OK ??

2) ammo - what size shot is used ??

Thanks for any advice !

Shot my first a few weeks ago with a 12g side-by-side. Great fun!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

for posterity, if using an e.g. pump shotgun, what choke is preferred?

Without knowing the course, Modified. Always modified. [laugh] It gives you the best non-choice.

on the SC course at my club, most of the targets are very close, and skeet would be the best. That said, I generally use one of my Parkers (Mod and Full), because they're the best-handling field guns I have, and it's a "tradition" thing. One has been in the family for 100+ years, and it needs exercise once in a while.

Last edited:
Without knowing the course, Modified. Always modified. [laugh] It gives you the best non-choice.

on the SC course at my club, most of the targets are very close, and skeet would be the best. That said, I generally use one of my Parkers (Mod and Full), because they're the best-handling field guns I have, and it's a "tradition" thing. One has been in the family for 100+ years, and it needs exercise once in a while.

That's awesome..... nice to knock the lead around with a old shotty....
I have a 311 in 20 and 12 I have used them in both sleet and trap... ideal , not really but I managed to shoot well enough to seal the lips of the naysayers.

OP, don't start with 5-Stand. I have seen it humble many good trap and skeet shooters Ask me how I know. [crying]

go shoot what ever is available.... have fun. don't get to hung up on what you have or what people say you need. shoot safe and bust them up!

with that said I agree with above especially if you have been only shooting trap and try 5 stand with your trap gun.... it took me 3 runs just to get used to the target presentations. The few positions they had targets come in at you at a angle I can not for the life of me pick up anything well moving in towards me. Love the over head shots and ground runners though!

Last edited:
You'll do best with an IC choke and 8 shot.

Try and latch onto someone who can coach you through.

Reading the targets is half the battle.

Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom