New YouTube video on: .22LR for Conceal Carry & Self Defense?

In my opinion the only thing wrong with carrying a .22LR pistol for self defense is the comparatively unreliable ignition of the rimfire primer.
A double action revolver and top quality ammo just about takes the primer issue out of the equation.
Otherwise, shot placement trumps caliber, so carry whatever you shoot well.

I carry a Bodyguard 380 when my clothes when I pocket carry or a S&W Shield 9mm when I carry OWN or IWB.

I just found it the video interesting; mainly because I shoot a lot of 22's around 1000 per month,

whereas I only shoot 100-200 9mm per month and about 50 rounds of 380 per month.
So total you shoot 1350 rounds a month? Those are rookie numbers you gotta get to the range more.

Even if I set aside the "it's a weak caliber" arguement....my MOST reliable 22lr handgun I wouldn't trust with my life due to the unreliable nature of 22lr in general. Period.

So total you shoot 1350 rounds a month? Those are rookie numbers you gotta get to the range more.

Money is the only reason that I do not shoot more rounds per month.
Money can be tight. My youngest son is special needs, mentally handicapped.
When I was young (pre kids): I shot about 1k rounds a month of centerfire and 2k-3k per month of rimfire.

Money is the only reason that I do not shoot more rounds per month.
Money can be tight. My youngest son is special needs, mentally handicapped.
When I was young (pre kids): I shot about 1k rounds a month of centerfire and 2k-3k per month of rimfire.
It was a joke

.22 bounces around dozens of times inside the body. It can turn the inside of a large moose into complete mush, even though it’s not powerful enough to penetrate out the back side.

This is why it’s the top choice for every super secret group of assassins the world over.
I don't know if its true. but someone in this line of business (no NOT an assassin) told me that aside from real AW's in warlike actions, more people are killed by 22lr than any other cartridge.

I don't know if its true. but someone in this line of business (no NOT an assassin) told me that aside from real AW's in warlike actions, more people are killed by 22lr than any other cartridge.
That's actually correct. It's a world statistic not a national one.
.22LR is the most common round worldwide.

Mafia use to use .22's for hits. 'The .22 Killers'. They would rattle around in the brain and leave no exit. A .22 killed Bobby Kennedy and John Lennon and almost got Reagan. Zodiac killer and Charles Manson used one. Having said all that I still would not carry one.

Last edited:
If you can shoot a chipmunk, you can shoot a heart. .22 with federal punch is just fine at stopping a thugs ticker

No way. Ever been in a real fight? You know what an adrenaline dump does to someone? You may be able to get perfect technique against critters or paper, but try the same under pants shitting stress. You lose 90%+ of your fine motor skill, peripheral vision, and awareness.

Go to the range and run some laps and do some pushups, get your heart rate to 130bpm for a few minutes, then shoot right away and tell me if you can hit the 10 ring at 10 yards consistently.

With micro optics on pistols today making head shots easy, .22 becomes viable if it's reliable.

My biggest issue with .22 is the priming and rounds that get half a powder charge and don't cycle the slide far back enough.

It's better in a revolver.

I've got a Ruger LCP II, several mags and lots of CCI Velocitor. Plus, I never go anywhere dangerous. What I carry is my business, and I feel completely comfortable with it as an occasional backup or primary. (I do have hand/wrist issues). I bought it in case .380 ever becomes too much for me.

No way. Ever been in a real fight? You know what an adrenaline dump does to someone? You may be able to get perfect technique against critters or paper, but try the same under pants shitting stress. You lose 90%+ of your fine motor skill, peripheral vision, and awareness.

Go to the range and run some laps and do some pushups, get your heart rate to 130bpm for a few minutes, then shoot right away and tell me if you can hit the 10 ring at 10 yards consistently.
A real fight? Sure. That has nothing to do with caiber size. Missing with a .44 is just as bad as missing with a .22

.22 bounces around dozens of times inside the body. It can turn the inside of a large moose into complete mush, even though it’s not powerful enough to penetrate out the back side.

This is why it’s the top choice for every super secret group of assassins the world over.

9mm may remove a lung from the body, but .22 bounces around so many times it turns both lungs into liquid.

As an internet expert, I won’t be watching this video. I already know everything about .22

There's also the fact that .22 can be mostly silenced for an assassin. It's much quieter than other suppressed calibers. The CIA used silenced .22 in Vietnam for that reason.

There's also the fact that .22 can be mostly silenced for an assassin. It's much quieter than other suppressed calibers. The CIA used silenced .22 in Vietnam for that reason.
Israel uses suppressed Ruger 10/22’s…

Eta:

I can see where it might make sense for certain people with very specific requirements to carry a .22. But each time I hear discussions like this, it makes .32 ACP, and even .25 ACP, begin to sound reasonable.

I realize both these calibers have fallen mostly out of use, and for good reasons, but hear me out.

.32 ACP provides significantly more power than a .22, and fits in a package not much bigger than a .22 pocket pistol. About 20 years ago, the Keltec P32 pistols were the new hot thing, and they really were light, tiny, and handy. In fact, they are so small and light, that they are not too comfortable to shoot, and may not be suitable for people with hand issues.

Which leads me to the mostly obsolescent .25 ACP. I realize this caliber has died, and when you do find rounds, they cost more than larger pistol rounds. But .25 was originally developed to run better in auto pistols than .22 rimfire. It is shorter, slightly fatter, and rimless, so it is really shaped to feed better. And it uses centerfire primers, which are much more reliable.

I think the cost of .25 ACP ammo would likely be a deal breaker, but when I hear people talk about carrying .22's, I often think that a modern plastic .25 ACP pocket gun might be worthwhile. I know that if I need a gun to work, I would really rather have centerfire primers.

I am also aware of studies which have shown that .22 LR is actually more effective than .25 ACP, but I'm not sure I believe it. They are very similar ballistically, and even if the studies were right, the difference is slight. My guess is that much more effort has been put into developing effective .22 LR rounds, and if anyone tried to make a decent .25 ACP, it would be very comparable.

A .22 pistol would be a good choice for people who really are not gun people, but you would like them to have something.
I'm thinking of someone like my daughter, who knows how to shoot, but is not a "shooter" by any stretch of the imagination. Sure she has some training, but she is not going to be clearing rooms if she thinks there is an intruder in her house.
More of a last resort, self defense gun. Hold it 6" from your attackers chest and pull the trigger until the gun goes "click".
As shown in the video, with the right ammo, ten rounds pumped into an assailants chest at close range is devastating. I think a revolver would be a better choice due to the inherent unreliability of the ammo and ease of use in a high stress situation, but a proven semi auto would also be a consideration.

Long ago my department made officers do jumping jacks as fast as you can for 2-3 minutes, and then shoot.

I learned a lot from that training. It's unfortunate that my department no longer does anything like that..

Many officers that were relatively inexperiences shooters, couldn't hit a life sized paper target after doing the jumping jacks.

For some reason after the jumping jacks I shot faster and better; from the hip (both single and two handed).

Heck even after having a bit too much coffee CAFE BUSTELO ☕; my groups when target shooting are greatly affected,

Eh I might get flamed for saying this but training is way over hyped in my opinion, unless your Police or Military.

First off the chances of you getting into a gun fight is extremely small and a self defense situation for the most part is going to erupt inside of 10 feet and that 10 feet will close lighting fast.

Shooting hundreds of rounds at the range every trip is fun and keeps you proficient but it's absolutely not necessary for someone to be prepared to defend themselves.

Handgun and round reliability is more important than hours upon hours of training.

.22 is the least reliable of the mainstream calibers so for me that's a non starter.

The silenced .22 is ok if you're dealing with dogs outside. Otherwise, everyone knows that you gain huge assassin cool points by using a Sykes-Fairbairn dagger, concealed on your off forearm.

I am also aware of studies which have shown that .22 LR is actually more effective than .25 ACP, but I'm not sure I believe it. They are very similar ballistically, and even if the studies were right, the difference is slight. My guess is that much more effort has been put into developing effective .22 LR rounds, and if anyone tried to make a decent .25 ACP, it would be very comparable.

My first pistol was a .25 that my father bought when I was 12*. We'd shoot at cans and bottles that we'd place on a rock about 10 yards away. Often, I'd find the fired bullet on the rock - the moss / targets / whatever would have enough energy to stop the bullet easily enough. I'm not sure that it would be a good stopper. I still have the gun, just because I don't think it has any real trade value.

*It wasn't a thought out purchase. My Dad was in a bar, and the owner said he'd just bought a .38 and didn't need his .25 any more, and asked if my Dad wanted it. My Dad said "Let me see if it works", and took the gun off the bar and shot the jukebox. Didn't destroy the jukebox, but he hit it so since I was starting into shooting, my Dad bought it.
This may explain why I'm not overly concerned with safety features and rules - luckily, I'm not quite as bad as Dad was.

Back
Top Bottom