New York’s ‘Massive Resistance’ to the Supreme Court on Guns

SFC13557

NES Member

Albany passes a law that willfully defies the ruling that the right to bear arms extends beyond the home.​

From today's WSJ.

See you in court again NY.

"When the Supreme Court ruled in 1954 that segregated schools were illegal, many politicians in the South refused to obey. In Virginia opponents of the Court’s decision proudly called this “massive resistance,” and a decade of social strife followed. These days the massive resistance is on the political left, as exemplified by New York state’s new gun law that defies the Supreme Court’s late June ruling solidifying individual gun rights.

Police were still hunting Monday evening for the shooter at a Fourth of July parade in Highland Park, Ill., who killed at least six spectators as this was being written. The shooter reportedly used a rifle from a rooftop, which betrays premeditated malevolence. The shooting underscores the need to keep guns away from the mentally disturbed or those who are a danger to the community. The recent bill passed by Congress is a good-faith effort to do that, and we supported it. But that doesn’t justify the refusal by politicians to respect the right of the law-abiding to bear arms for self-defense as interpreted by the Supreme Court.

The New York Legislature appears to have paid little heed to the High Court’s ruling that overturned its gun-licensing regime in New York State Rifle & Pistol Assn. v. Bruen. Prodded by Gov. Kathy Hochul, the state Senate (43-20) and Assembly (91-51) voted last week to pass a new gun law that ignores Justice Clarence Thomas’s majority opinion.

Gov. Hochul boasted shortly after the ruling came down that the state would do this, having had barely enough time to read it, much less digest its legal implications. This will probably turn out to be a legal mistake, since challengers to the new law will cite her comments as a sign that the state made no attempt to follow the Court’s commands.

The High Court ruled in Bruen that the right to bear arms extends outside the home for self-defense. The new law seeks to vitiate this right by exploiting a passage in the opinion that allows gun restrictions in “sensitive places,” such as schools and government buildings.

Bruen doesn’t define sensitive places with much specificity. But the majority’s 6-3 opinion warns that “expanding the category of ‘sensitive places’ simply to all places of public congregation that are not isolated from law enforcement defines the category of ‘sensitive places’ far too broadly” and would “eviscerate the general right to publicly carry arms for self-defense.”

The new New York statute ignores this clear direction. It defines sensitive places to include airports, bars and restaurants that serve alcohol, courthouses, day-care facilities, playgrounds, parks, zoos, schools, entertainment venues, government buildings, houses of worship, libraries, public demonstrations and rallies, public transportation including subways and buses, and even Times Square.

The law also deems “no carry” as the default on private property unless declared permissible by the owners. Private property owners who allow concealed carry will have to publicly display this in signs, which may have free-speech implications.

All of this goes a long way to defining most of New York City as off-limits to concealed carry. Subways are increasingly dangerous because of illegal guns and lax law enforcement, but passengers won’t be able to protect themselves with a legal gun. Walking with a gun on the streets will be illegal if you wander into Central Park or public squares where civilians are assaulted too often.

The law also defines what it means to have the “good moral character” required to obtain a gun permit. A New York Senate press release says this means having the “essential character, temperament, and judgment necessary to be entrusted with a weapon.” This will presumably be in the eye of the bureaucratic beholder. It gives too much discretion to the government to deny a fundamental right, which is one reason the Court struck down the state’s licensing regime in Bruen.

All of this looks like a willful attempt to defy a Supreme Court ruling. The same progressives appalled when Southern politicians stood in the schoolhouse door to block racial integration are now standing in the licensing office to prevent New Yorkers from exercising their constitutional right to bear arms. That many of these New Yorkers will be minorities seeking to protect themselves in high-crime neighborhoods doesn’t seem to matter to the massive resisters who run New York."

Who wrote this, a FUDD?

The shooting underscores the need to keep guns away from the mentally disturbed or those who are a danger to the community. The recent bill passed by Congress is a good-faith effort to do that, and we supported it.

Here's how NY will get around the ruling.
They'll deem anyone who willingly chooses to live in NY as having a mental disability, and incapable of making rational decisions, thus disqualifying them from owning a gun.

Irrefutable argument. A recruiter asked me if I would be willing to relocate back to Mass for a job and I told him "not under any circumstances." That wasn't quite true but the amount of money it would take to convince me to move back to MA or worse, New York, is more than any employer would ever consider paying me.

Here's how NY will get around the ruling.
They'll deem anyone who willingly chooses to live in NY as having a mental disability, and incapable of making rational decisions, thus disqualifying them from owning a gun.

So automatic non-resident reciprocity rules in NY? Win for the rest of us who may have to go to NY. LOL

Who was it again that defied brown vs. board of education?? I wasn’t alive back then, but I have a feeling the article is trying to incorrectly implicate a certain side with which they do not agree.

…​

From today's WSJ.

"When the Supreme Court ruled in 1954 that segregated schools were illegal, many politicians in the South refused to obey. In Virginia opponents of the Court’s decision proudly called this “massive resistance,” and a decade of social strife followed. These days the massive resistance is on the political left, …
The author is trying to make it seem like it was just republicans before, but now the left is using the tactic. This is woefully misleading, and almost a lie.

Senator Byrd, the creator of “massive resistance” against black people’s rights… WAS on the left. He was a democrat. And, according to Wikipedia anyway, he was the head of the Virginia Democratic Party for ~40 years. Sure, there were racist republicans too back then that also followed him in his planned massive resistance. But massive resistance to SCOTUS rulings was created by the left against racial justice and continues to be used by the left against other civil rights.

Ran across this a few days ago:

USC 1983. Civil action for deprivation of rights
Every person who, under color of any statute, ordinance, regulation, custom, or usage, of any State or Territory or the District of Columbia, subjects, or causes to be subjected, any citizen of the United States or other person within the jurisdiction thereof to the deprivation of any rights, privileges, or immunities secured by the Constitution and laws, shall be liable to the party injured in an action at law, suit in equity, or other proper proceeding for redress....

These people need to be held accountable.

The Editorial is pointing out the Left's decision to ignore court decisions they don't agree with and either pass laws to circumvent court decisions they don't like or just ignore the court decisions. The Leftists hate the Constitution and the Bill of Rights because they argue they were written by a bunch of wealthy slave owners and are irrelevant in modern society. The GOP and the right needs to exploit their anti-American views by informing the average American that if they vote for a D they are voting against America and it's values. As bad as Maura is even she has seen the writing on the wall and issued a memo to respect the ruling but NY had to show it's anger over losing a case and doubling down. See you court Governor!

Ran across this a few days ago:

These people need to be held accountable.
Comm2A collected legal fees from the State of MA in both the permanent resident alien LTC case and in the Marijuana case. In both cases, the state was very professional and polite in its dealings and we were able to negotiate mutually agreeable settlements without the need to obtain a judgment in federal court. So yes, 1983 damages are real.

The manner in which it was done (emergency session in response to the SCOTUS ruling); the fact that these were never considered sensitive areas when only VIPs could carry; and that the Governor of NY announced the intent to prevent the SCOTUS decision from allowing people to carry in public is a textbook example of how to step on your dick. Attorneys fighting the new NY permit neutering laws should send the governor a thank you note.

Last edited:
"The manner in which it was done (emergency session in response to the SCOTUS ruling); the fact that these were never considered sensitive areas when only VIPs could carry; and that the Governor of NY announced the intent to prevent the SCOTUS decision from allowing people to carry in public is a textbook example of how to step on your dick."

Exactly! She was so pissed off and arrogant and felt the need to pander to her "supporters" she outed herself and the NY Legislature. I'm sure Thomas and the rest of the concurring Justices are not impressed and can't wait to shove it up her a** if lower courts don't do it for them. What a stupid DB.

From today's WSJ, editorial by Gerald Baker.

"In New York State Rifle & Pistol Assn. v. Bruen, which struck down New York’s restrictions on carrying firearms in public, the court reaffirmed that states can’t toss aside constitutional rights they find uncongenial. The same was true in Kennedy v. Bremerton, which ruled that a school district couldn’t deny a football coach’s First Amendment right to kneel in prayer after games.

The partisans of the left are having a hard time getting used to the idea that the high court will no longer be used to validate their objectives, to bestow a false constitutional authority on their long, hitherto successful campaign to reshape the country. On the strength of the evidence so far, from the angry reaction of media and politicians alike, it seems they aren’t going to let that happen without a fight. You might even say, if you could permit yourself to borrow their hyperbole for a moment, that they’ve declared war on the Constitution."

"The manner in which it was done (emergency session in response to the SCOTUS ruling); the fact that these were never considered sensitive areas when only VIPs could carry; and that the Governor of NY announced the intent to prevent the SCOTUS decision from allowing people to carry in public is a textbook example of how to step on your dick."

Exactly! She was so pissed off and arrogant and felt the need to pander to her "supporters" she outed herself and the NY Legislature. I'm sure Thomas and the rest of the concurring Justices are not impressed and can't wait to shove it up her a** if lower courts don't do it for them. What a stupid DB.
Not stupidity, but rather such a strong belief that her position is righteous that she sees no need to think strategically. If she took a targeted approach that would achieve an effective ban in Manhattan for unimportant people all it would have taken was a public transit ban.

We see this on our side when people advocate bringing cases that are certain losers because they are so convinced their position is right (and may very well be) that they do not stop to think that you need to pick your targets carefully to take territory.

Last edited:
Irrefutable argument. A recruiter asked me if I would be willing to relocate back to Mass for a job and I told him "not under any circumstances." That wasn't quite true but the amount of money it would take to convince me to move back to MA or worse, New York, is more than any employer would ever consider paying me.
Exactly. On just my current salary, we could not afford to buy any detached home within a 90 minute drive of any office I'm qualified to work at. My current salary is still less than our household income with two incomes when we fled MA in 2008.
Doubling my salary might come close. But then there are the rights that MA rulers and many voters pretend do not exist there. Heck, the MA SJC ruled that the constitution doesn't protect any technology that did not exist in 1790.`

Exactly. On just my current salary, we could not afford to buy any detached home within a 90 minute drive of any office I'm qualified to work at. My current salary is still less than our household income with two incomes when we fled MA in 2008.
Doubling my salary might come close. But then there are the rights that MA rulers and many voters pretend do not exist there. Heck, the MA SJC ruled that the constitution doesn't protect any technology that did not exist in 1790.`
Can NYC citizens go to a local shop and buy a flintlock musket to use to protect themselves while in their apartment homes? Doesn't the second amendment [at the very basic least] allow you the privilege of owning a musket within your own home?

Well, there was a reason Cuomo selected her to to be Lt. Governor on his ticket. Dumb as a box of rocks and not seen as a threat to HIM. He never expected to have to resign and in all likelihood would not have made this same knee jerk mistake. Yes, he would have done something but not before a lot more consideration of the consequences and what changes he and the Dem. legislature might be able to get away with. He might think with "little Andrew" too much, but clever enough not to make this sort of error.

"Not stupidity, but rather such a strong belief that her position is righteous that she sees no need to think strategically. If she took a target approach that would achieve an effective ban in Manhattan for unimportant people all it would have taken was a public transit ban."

She's a desperate Politician so I don't know if she has strong beliefs or she's just pandering to her Leftist voters in an election year. Does she really believe letting career violent criminals walk to terrorize NYC residents is justice while preventing citizens to be lawfully armed to defend themselves? Is she just pandering to the BLM/SJW crowd which controls the Dem party?

Can NYC citizens go to a local shop and buy a flintlock musket to use to protect themselves while in their apartment homes? Doesn't the second amendment [at the very basic least] allow you the privilege of owning a musket within your own home?

The term "arms" doesn't just apply to firearms, it includes all forms of weapons once carried to defend yourself.
Maybe NY would prefer everyone walking around carrying swords ???

The term "arms" doesn't just apply to firearms, it includes all forms of weapons once carried to defend yourself.
Maybe NY would prefer everyone walking around carrying swords ???
I mean we lowly civilians aren't even allowed to carry collapsible batons in a lot of states.

I don't know about 'ever consider paying me' thing because in the Hartford area where I work the companies are so strapped for hiring and retaining people that salaries are starting to rise into the stratosphere. I don't know if it's just regional, but holy crap are we living in an upside down universe right now.

I don't know about 'ever consider paying me' thing because in the Hartford area where I work the companies are so strapped for hiring and retaining people that salaries are starting to rise into the stratosphere. I don't know if it's just regional, but holy crap are we living in an upside down universe right now.

I lived and worked in the Hartford area for a while. I'd need "vacation house on Winnipesaukee" money to even consider leaving NH for anywhere else in the northeast.

As soon as recession takes a bigger hold on employment, those new hires with inflated salaries will be the first to be let go. Better hope they get a big enough salary to save some for near-term unemployment and for their move back to wherever they actually wanted to live.

So automatic non-resident reciprocity rules in NY? Win for the rest of us who may have to go to NY. LOL
Not much of a pass even with a license by way of "sensitive spaces". The way they are channeling things, it's all but worth it's weight in plastic. I'd give it a 25% chance of not jamming you up just passing through on I-95 the way NY and NJ don't seem to recognize FOPA. This place is bad but that place is rotten.

Back
Top Bottom