New to revolvers, good points on maintenance.

So let me backpeddle a bit. It pisses me off that S&W doesn't loctite their strain screws or ejector rods. It's mind numbingly dumb. Even their first tier customer service reps will advise you to tighten the ejector rod if you have trouble opening the cylinder. It's that prevalent of a problem. Never mind the other QC issues that have resulted in half of my S&Ws bought in the last 3 years going back for warranty work before I ever shot them.

Yes, their execution in assembly is inconsistent, to be charitable. But if you are willing to get to know the design, and work on it, there is no better revolver to shoot a lot than a S&W. Have yet to see a serious competitive shooter who uses a Ruger.
sorry. Did not know you were a serious competition shooter. When and where are you competing next so some of us simpleton utilitarian ruger owners can come whitness your masterful manipulation of a such an exquisite piece of work as a smith and wesson revolver.

sorry. Did not know you were a serious competition shooter. When and where are you competing next so some of us simpleton utilitarian ruger owners can come whitness your masterful manipulation of a such an exquisite piece of work as a smith and wesson revolver.

Next big match I shoot revolver in will probably be Walls of Steel in August. By all means bring your Ruger down and we can [strike]measure dicks[/strike] compare times.

ETA: what is the tag for a strike through? Is there one?

I should point out that the 4 light strikes where all with same ammo.

I purchased a box of Perfecta and Federal 357 magnum, winchester white box 38 Special plus P from wally world.

Then while at MFS I picked up a box of high pressure nickel plated 357 magnum ( I think it was Remington but I don't have the box anymore) and box of Geco (red box) German cheap 357.

I was firing all the ammo in no particular order, testing the recoil, was even testing the perfecta and high pressure by alternate rounds in the cylinder.

All 4 light strikes where with the Geco ammo, I put it down to either gun break in period or bad cheap ammo.

One of the reason I went with the Smith and Wesson is the life time warranty, this being a performance center gun I expect better quality.

I don't have an issue with Ruger, there are a couple of Ruger guns I have my eye on, I like the commander SR1911, the singe six convertible, if I see a good deal on either I would probably pick them up.

harry

Unfortunately all the PC logo gets you these days is a revolver in a configuration that's popular for certain sports or hunting, and maybe a chromed trigger and hammer...

Next big match I shoot revolver in will probably be Walls of Steel in August. By all means bring your Ruger down and we can [strike]measure dicks[/strike] compare times.

ETA: what is the tag for a strike through? Is there one?
unfortunately my ruger revolver is not ideal for shooting plates. I carry it to defend me and mine and like the fact that it is by far the most reliable fire arm i have ever owned. We come from different trains of thougt apparently.

So let me backpeddle a bit. It pisses me off that S&W doesn't loctite their strain screws or ejector rods. It's mind numbingly dumb. Even their first tier customer service reps will advise you to tighten the ejector rod if you have trouble opening the cylinder. It's that prevalent of a problem. Never mind the other QC issues that have resulted in half of my S&Ws bought in the last 3 years going back for warranty work before I ever shot them. Yes, their execution in assembly is inconsistent, to be charitable. But if you are willing to get to know the design, and work on it, there is no better revolver to shoot a lot than a S&W. Have yet to see a serious competitive shooter who uses a Ruger.

I haven't had any such problems with my 1/2 dozen S&W revolvers. But mine are all pre-lock, so perhaps their QA was better then.

I haven't had any such problems with my 1/2 dozen S&W revolvers. But mine are all pre-lock, so perhaps their QA was better then.
From what I've heard and read, Smith's QA and CS are up and down over the years, so some guns are bang-on perfect and others are full of problems.

I should point out that the 4 light strikes where all with same ammo.

I purchased a box of Perfecta and Federal 357 magnum, winchester white box 38 Special plus P from wally world.

Then while at MFS I picked up a box of high pressure nickel plated 357 magnum ( I think it was Remington but I don't have the box anymore) and box of Geco (red box) German cheap 357.

I was firing all the ammo in no particular order, testing the recoil, was even testing the perfecta and high pressure by alternate rounds in the cylinder.

All 4 light strikes where with the Geco ammo, I put it down to either gun break in period or bad cheap ammo.

One of the reason I went with the Smith and Wesson is the life time warranty, this being a performance center gun I expect better quality.

I don't have an issue with Ruger, there are a couple of Ruger guns I have my eye on, I like the commander SR1911, the singe six convertible, if I see a good deal on either I would probably pick them up.

harry

There's no break-in period for a revolver in any ofy experience. As has been mentioned, S&W has a strain screw under the grip, that if loosened will cause consistent light strikes.

PC guns are really nothing more than exotic production line guns.

Yes, S&W is not very consistent (sadly) with their QC at times. And while IMHO they offer a superior product, and a product not offered elsewhere on the market, the do let more QC issues slip than should be allowed. Part of that should be understood that the cost of one of these revolvers would triple if hand fitted the way they use to be.

My 627 pro series has been perfect through thousands of rounds as has my scadium j frames. Neither of which has a competitor on the market

Last edited:
To the OP.
If you're looking for a great trick to cleaning the burn marks from the face of the cylinder. This works like magic. And it's cheap.
He's absolutely right in the video. I tried the Lead Wipes and you just end up going through them one after the other. And then I tried the Scotch Brite Pad and hoppes.. and bam. rubs right off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSI20nHKZwg

And here it was half way through cleaning my 686. Just some light rubbing.
20160229_192505_resized.jpg

Last edited:
Mini QC Rant - Stop blaming QC

Sounds like a manufacturing issue, not a QC issue.

Known problem with known fix. Implement fix into manufacturing/production to resolve problem.
Why is it that everyone with half a brain thinks QC inspects every feature of every product 100% that goes out the door???

QC isn't there to sort. Manufacturing/Production is supposed to be supplying inspection with good parts/assemblies.
There are critical to quality features (CTQs) that are inspected at a higher AQL than the regular features that the Quality Engineers determine with feedback from Design & Manufacturing Engineers.

I'm tired of people whining & crying about QC when they have no ****ing idea what they are talking about.
Take a step into a factory. Work a factory job. See what QC does. Understand the process. Then tell me it's QC's fault!

/rant

So let me backpeddle a bit. It pisses me off that S&W doesn't loctite their strain screws or ejector rods. It's mind numbingly dumb. Even their first tier customer service reps will advise you to tighten the ejector rod if you have trouble opening the cylinder. It's that prevalent of a problem. Never mind the other QC issues that have resulted in half of my S&Ws bought in the last 3 years going back for warranty work before I ever shot them.

Yes, their execution in assembly is inconsistent, to be charitable. But if you are willing to get to know the design, and work on it, there is no better revolver to shoot a lot than a S&W. Have yet to see a serious competitive shooter who uses a Ruger.

Known problem with known fix. Implement fix into manufacturing/production to resolve problem.
Why is it that everyone with half a brain thinks QC inspects every feature of every product 100% that goes out the door???

QC isn't there to sort. Manufacturing/Production is supposed to be supplying inspection with good parts/assemblies.
There are critical to quality features (CTQs) that are inspected at a higher AQL than the regular features that the Quality Engineers determine with feedback from Design & Manufacturing Engineers.

I'm tired of people whining & crying about QC when they have no ****ing idea what they are talking about.
Take a step into a factory. Work a factory job. See what QC does. Understand the process. Then tell me it's QC's fault!

/rant

Kind of a pedantic rant, but point taken. That said, having guns make it out the door with the same serious flaws over and over would seem to indicate that the overall QC process is not working correctly - if it was then ideally the manufacturing engineer would have adjusted the process to lower the frequency of rejects.

Also, I think it's fair to classify test firing as part of quality control. The two 629s I've bought in the last year should have never made it out of the factory - the cylinders were very difficult to open due to two separate manufacturing defects. But someone who handles the guns all day and knows how a cylinder should open forced those two open, shot them, and called them good to go. If their process doesn't allow a gun to be sent back for rework at that point, I'd again consider it a failure of a good TQC program.

/rant

I'm not sure if your taking offense to a specific job title or structure within a company, but frankly I'm not sure it's even relative.

When people refer to QC within any company, they are referring to the process as a whole. Design, engineering, CNC, assembly and fitting and final test and fire all have a hand in QC. I don't give a crab about internal process or job title, QC is a reflection of the process as a whole . in recent years every major gun company has had issues with this due to massive fluctuations in supply / demand. This is hardly exclusive to S& W

Back
Top Bottom