New to Muzzleloading

dukefan70

NES Member
I'd like to get a primitive rifle, but just can't afford it right now. So I'm considering a modern muzzleloader. There's a rack at Walmart ranging from a Traditions starter kit, a CVA (w/e that stands for) brand rifle for $150, to an Omega brand rifle for $277. I'm clueless about these. Any advice about these and what to look for in general much appreciated.

P.S. A list of essentials to hunt muzzleloader would be nice too. Thanks in advance.

My boss and I purchased tc omegas last year and they are dead accurate. It seems walmart has very cheap versions of them I would go to bass pro or dicks.

I'd like to get a primitive rifle, but just can't afford it right now. So I'm considering a modern muzzleloader. There's a rack at Walmart ranging from a Traditions starter kit, a CVA (w/e that stands for) brand rifle for $150, to an Omega brand rifle for $277. I'm clueless about these. Any advice about these and what to look for in general much appreciated.

P.S. A list of essentials to hunt muzzleloader would be nice too. Thanks in advance.

You should be able to find a used percussion rifle for $100.00 or less in Mass especially now with the recent change in the laws on hinged muzzleloaders. Everybody uses the more modern ones now and the oldies just sit in the safe and take up space. If you buy a used one make sure that you run a bore light down the barrel to make sure that it was cared for properly. If you ran a WTB Craigs list ad I bet your phone would ring off the hook.

As far as a list goes it is pretty straight forward but it changes based on what you buy. I shoot an older percussion rifle and this is what I would consider the "essentials"

Projectiles: Plain Round Balls (PRBs) or muzzleloading bullet PRBs will kill deer all day long
Patches and bore buttons for the muzzle loading bullets
Black powder GOEX Use the real stuff in the older percussion rifles
No11 caps
A capper is nice to have on those cold days
Range rod for cleaning and the range with a cleaning jag, ball puller, and patch retriever. The one under the barrel is useless except for re-loading in the field.
nipple wrench
Ball starter
powder horn/flask of some sort
speed loaders if you are going to hunt with it
Extra nipples

You need to take the time to "work up a load" for the rifle to find out what ball size, patch thickness, and powder charge works for that rifle. Soap an water cleanup, store barrel down in the safe, and poop a few caps and wip clean before loading as most lubricating oils react poorly with black powder.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom