• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New to me TC Omega shoots low advice

whacko

NES Member
I picked up a used TC Omega recently. Came with an "economy model" tasco scope. Took it out twice now and she groups great. Three rounds touching at 50 yards......but even after adjusting the elevation to the limit it hits 6 inches low of point of aim. I tried some different weight projos no no avail. The scope rings it came with are very short......so short that priming the gun is a bitch as well as removing the breach plug. Would a higher set if rings help this or not? Wanted to get some advice before trying it out......

Is the scope just junk or would higher rings be a potential solution?

Unless the rings are a mis-match, my vote is that the scope is the culprit. Check the elevation range for that particular model of scope and compare against the TC ballistics for your typical loads and projectiles. Actually, come to think of it- 6" at 50 yards is ridiculous. Possibly something wrong with the scope...

I agree. Sounds like scope ran out of elevation. If the rings were mismatched you'd know it - the tube would be toast. Higher rings will not help the scope.

My strike primer pocket vs scope has about zero access as well, but the scope is nice and low and I'm too cheap to buy higher rings.

Thanks folks. If you think its thetscooe.....im more of an iron sights or red dot guy for deer anyway (I hunt thick woods) so I think I'll pick up another decent red dot and try that.

The gun came with the scope and was priced good as a package so I'm not bothered by it not working.....

Last edited:
If you liked the scope there are a few things that could help. Simply putting a shim under one ring might get you centered.
To be honest.....the scope was just.....meh.....didn't buy the rifle because it had a scope......but if it zeroed well for me I'd use. I'll abandon the scope and tac on a decent red dot.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited:
If you liked the scope there are a few things that could help. Simply putting a shim under one ring might get you centered.

This...shim it. Buy some thin shim stock and build up as needed between scope and rings. Ive never had to do it, mainly because I take care when I mount, and dont use cheap ass scopes and or cheap ass mounts. I only use steel bases with weaver or leupold turn ins and never have an issue.

You can buy Nikon's for under 100 now, I've never had a problem with one of those, honestly, that's even cheap.

Last edited:
This...shim it. Buy some thin shim stock and build up as needed between scope and rings. Ive never had to do it, mainly because I take care when I mount, and dont use cheap ass scopes and or cheap ass mounts. I only use steel bases with weaver or leupold turn ins and never have an issue.

You can buy Nikon's for under 100 now, I've never had a problem with one of those, honestly, that's even cheap.
What model Nikon do you recommend for a muzzle loading TC Omega? I've never used a scope on a muzzle loader......always been an iron sights or red dot guy

I like Scopes and 3 touching at 50 yards I'd be working with that. First thing I'd do is get
That higher set so priming isn't a bitch and breech plug removal is easier. Then try and work from there.

This old Anshutz I had to shim.
The scope was know to work on other guns of mine with plenty of adjustment on Annie it took a bit of effort but the results were well worth it.

Attachments

• IMG_20170731_124652039.jpg
    IMG_20170731_124652039.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 8
What model Nikon do you recommend for a muzzle loading TC Omega? I've never used a scope on a muzzle loader......always been an iron sights or red dot guy

I have the Nikon 3x9 with the multiplex reticle on my Impact. Keep in mind that the BDC reticle requires a certain projectile/load. 250g projectile over 150g IIRC.

Instead of buying shim stock you can cut Shim's from the side of a pop can.

Bob

My Omega Z5 shoots great groups, but the scope it came with isn't anything special either. It is right on, but at 50 yards and less, the reticle gets really thin in the scope and is hard to see. Want to upgrade before deer season. With the rings it came with, changing the breech plus is not a roomy experience either. Been using 250 gr Shockwaves over 85gr of BH209. Switching to Barnes TEZ this season. Will run them this weekend and see how they group up.

My Omega Z5 shoots great groups, but the scope it came with isn't anything special either. It is right on, but at 50 yards and less, the reticle gets really thin in the scope and is hard to see. Want to upgrade before deer season. With the rings it came with, changing the breech plus is not a roomy experience either. Been using 250 gr Shockwaves over 85gr of BH209. Switching to Barnes TEZ this season. Will run them this weekend and see how they group up.
That's all good info on the Omega. The one I picked up has the laminated thumb hole stock......it's quite a good looking rifle. I own two TC impact! Models which are considered entry level.....took two deer last season with one of em.....was looking for a third so me, the boy, and the wife could all go at the same time. The Omega I was considering an upgrade over the impact! Models but have to say........the impact! Is a great hunting tool! The break action makes plug and primer access so f***ing easy. I can prime it with mittens on! And it groups just as good as the Omega I just picked up.....so far I have to say the Omega is not really an upgrade.

I think what you get with the Omega is (sometimes) a better stock. I'm seen some very fancy laminated ones like you might have and they sure are purdy. But from what I hear, and you seem to agree, the Impact is also a hell of a shooter. And the convenience of a break action probably plays pretty well against the Omega too. I'm going to work up a slightly higher powder load and see if the TEZ's keep grouping well. I got to 85 gr with awesome groups, and that thing hits hard. That amount of BH209 is similar to 100 GR or so of BP substitute, so never really tried more than that. I think I can go up to 120 of BH209 and be equal to the 150 gr limit of BP sub, and the BH clean up so damn easy. POI is probably only off an inch as well between 50 and 100 yards. Now I want to leave work early and hit the range.

Ultra stupid question mode on:

There are some scope rings that are not the same front to back. There can be a front ring and a back ring. Measure each of yours and see if they differ from base to lower ring aperture.

I think what you get with the Omega is (sometimes) a better stock. I'm seen some very fancy laminated ones like you might have and they sure are purdy. But from what I hear, and you seem to agree, the Impact is also a hell of a shooter. And the convenience of a break action probably plays pretty well against the Omega too. I'm going to work up a slightly higher powder load and see if the TEZ's keep grouping well. I got to 85 gr with awesome groups, and that thing hits hard. That amount of BH209 is similar to 100 GR or so of BP substitute, so never really tried more than that. I think I can go up to 120 of BH209 and be equal to the 150 gr limit of BP sub, and the BH clean up so damn easy. POI is probably only off an inch as well between 50 and 100 yards. Now I want to leave work early and hit the range.
I hear ya! I actually love shooting my front stuffers. Last fall when I was out practicing and zeroing for deer season a couple of fellers were at the range with some nice ar15s and a socom 16. They kept looking over at me kind of windrin what the hell I had......then they looked through their spotting scope and saw my target.....one ragged hole with 3 rounds dead center at 50 yards and came over to take a peek. They'd never even seen a modern muzzle loader. I let em load up a few and shoot for a bit and they were generally amazed at how accurate they are......they thought the range on a muzzle.loader for deer was 20 yards lol

Ultra stupid question mode on:

There are some scope rings that are not the same front to back. There can be a front ring and a back ring. Measure each of yours and see if they differ from base to lower ring aperture.
I'll have to check that out .

I have the nikon with the BDC recticle. I think you can get them or like 89 bucks at Kittery.

No, I don't even pay attention to the BDC gimmick really most people really overthink this......you can do all the research.....but realistically my shots are within 100 yards anyway. I just use the top crosshair.

On the rifles the BDC is mostly a joke unless your out west taking 300 yard shots and beyond. I still sight in for the old 2" high at 100 yards in most cases, and that will cover any shot I take in the northeast with my .243, and 30-06 bolt guns.

Which doesn't matter because most of the time I end up hunting with my vintage rifles (Ruger 44, Rem 760, Rem 740 or Savage 99) with the old K4 Weaver on them, or I take out the Marlin 1895 or 336 with open sights if I'm in the brush.

I have the nikon with the BDC recticle. I think you can get them or like 89 bucks at Kittery.

No, I don't even pay attention to the BDC gimmick really most people really overthink this......you can do all the research.....but realistically my shots are within 100 yards anyway. I just use the top crosshair.

On the rifles the BDC is mostly a joke unless your out west taking 300 yard shots and beyond. I still sight in for the old 2" high at 100 yards in most cases, and that will cover any shot I take in the northeast with my .243, and 30-06 bolt guns.

Which doesn't matter because most of the time I end up hunting with my vintage rifles (Ruger 44, Rem 760, Rem 740 or Savage 99) with the old K4 Weaver on them, or I take out the Marlin 1895 or 336 with open sights if I'm in the brush.
The only bdc I've actually put to use with real results is on a 22lr.....because the trajectory is a hell of an arc. Never used a scope hunting with a muzzle loader.....i used iron sights until last season when I added a red dot......and the dot helped me take a moving deer at 50 yards that I wouldn't have even attempted a shot on with irons.

The higher you mount a scope the less elevation you have. Think of the scope as your front sight and your eye is the rear.
I do this with Tasco or any cheap scopes
1. Toss the free rings in the trash
2. Turn your elevation and windage dials to light full stop and count the he clicks then center it up.
3. Spend about 10 min zeroing it. If it does not zero up or you seem to be chasing zero remove it and toss it or give it away. If you can be bothered you could send it in for possible warranty.
What are you looking to do with the smoke pole. Distance you plan on shooting?

My money is on a shitty ring/mount combo. Also make sure the rings are not for specific mounting position
Front rear and rings are not marked for the ring itself to be facing forward.
I have a old tasco pro point on my omega and basically its zeroed for minute of deer from 25-125 yards

Back
Top Bottom