• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Merrimack River Lowell/Chelmsford MA Boat Launch

HARRYM

NES Member
Does anyone know the reasons the Rourke Ramp in Lowell doesn't open until Memorial Day? And that seems to be if they feel like. It's just a matter of opening the gate no? Early May is good fishing.

Many times I would just go over to the ramp in Chelmsford on Wotton St but I am hearing that boats with trailers have been kicked out of using that ramp?

Thanks

The Lowell Ramp is controlled by the A$$HOLES from DCR. The North Chelmsford Ramp was designed and built for "Trailered Boats" Who is kicking those folks out? That is a state owned ramp under the control of Public Access Board. Contact them and pitch a bitch. Fish and Wildlife money paid for those ramps.
I am well aware of that area, that was my patrol area as an EPO. I am the one that got the town the Public Access Board money to build the N. Chelmsford Ramp.

Last edited:
The Lowell Ramp is controlled by the A$$HOLES from DCR. The North Chelmsford Ramp was designed and built for "Trailered Boats" Who is kicking those folks out? That is a state owned ramp under the control of Public Access Board. Contact them and pitch a bitch. Fish and Wildlife money paid for those ramps.
So, indeed, so many times I have showed up at the Rourke Ramp only to find the gate locked. For no reason other than than can do it I guess.

I just got the Mirrocraft back on the trailer this week and haven't been out yet but have had several tell me the Wotton Street ramp is now car toppers, kayaks and canoes but no trailed boats. I will be driving out there this week just to have a look see for myself and will report back.

So, a friend of mine says the ramp was closed to boat trailers because the ramp was in bad condition and needed repairs. When the repairs happen he doesn't know but certainly it's likely to proceed at a snails pace. One would hope that when repaired trailers will be allowed. I'm still heading out this week to see for myself what the status is.

Here is the phone number for the Public Access Board (617) 727-1843 Ask them If Fish and Wildlife is hoarding the federal funds for building and maintaining these ramps.

So, indeed, so many times I have showed up at the Rourke Ramp only to find the gate locked. For no reason other than than can do it I guess.

I just got the Mirrocraft back on the trailer this week and haven't been out yet but have had several tell me the Wotton Street ramp is now car toppers, kayaks and canoes but no trailed boats. I will be driving out there this week just to have a look see for myself and will report back.
Same shit at the state ramp on the CT river in Easthampton, ever since it was "improved."

Here is the phone number for the Public Access Board (617) 727-1843 Ask them If Fish and Wildlife is hoarding the federal funds for building and maintaining these ramps.
Thanks

I spent early 23 spending more time at the camp than planned. By the time I went to the river it was early June when the wife and I took the boat out. We used the Rourke Ramp several times as it is better than the Chelmsford ramp. I used the Chelmsford ramp in 22 and had I used it in 23 I would have seen this. It just came up as with this weather I am ready to go early but several told me you ain't using the Chelmsford Ramp. Like I said I'm going to take a look this week and see if any repairs have been done yet.

NEWS FLASH

Maura just emailed me.....sorry but the funds can't be used for ramp repairs as I need the money for the illegals....

Being sarcastic of course.
;)

There was discussion that Rourke and Methuen 93 would be open year round for emergency access, with the only exception when they would have the docks in. Doubt we will ever see that.

Contact your state rep and tell him/her that this is the only ramp available for that stretch of the river and that it won't cost the state a dime to open it.

So the Southwell Field ramp is barricaded. Couple of Kayakers there told me it was barricaded about a year ago. Both said they Kayak so have no information on the status of the ramp. The ramp has not had any repairs done at this point and using it in 2024 seems unlikely.

As expected the Rourke Ramp is gated. That area was built by MA Fish and Wildlife but as Fisher Tech stated it was turned over to DCR. Down at the Sampas Pavilion the DCR Building has people working today. So come April I don't understand why opening a simple gate is such a problem as by late April/early May the fishing picks up and we are locked out of an area that was paid for by Sportsman.

With Southwell closed common sense says open Rourke earlier.

Finally got some answers to this.

Pawtucket launch is closed whenever the safety barrier (ropes and barrels) for the dam/falls is not out yet. Southwell is car top only - however no restriction on dates. I was also directed to the EPO site as they had this info and will update it periodically.

Finally got some answers to this.

Pawtucket launch is closed whenever the safety barrier (ropes and barrels) for the dam/falls is not out yet. Southwell is car top only - however no restriction on dates. I was also directed to the EPO site as they had this info and will update it periodically.
Is that the original launch at the Sampas Pavilion?

This is the response I received from DCR. It's a safety issue I think in that the barriers need to be up at Hunts Falls before DCR is allowed to open the gates if I understand it correctly. The city of Lowell is responsible for putting up the barrier line at Hunts Falls.

"Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your feedback. I will pass it along to staff and our Northern Region leadership staff. I would also recommend reaching out to the City of Lowell.

DCR opens and closes the boat ramp base on when the City of Lowell installs and removes the dam warning buoys. We do not control those dates.

Bill Hickey
DCR Community Relations"

No, The ramp in question is up stream of the Rourke Bridge.
I "think" that the Pawtucket Launch is the ramp at the Sampas Pavilion (across from Heritage Farm Ice Cream Stand)

The one after the Rourke Bridge (on the Lowell Tyngsboro line) is The Rourke Brothers Launch.

So, it seems that DCR would open the gates earlier if the City of Lowell put the Hunts Falls barrier across earlier.

Doesn't exactly make a lot of sense to me as in the past you could cross the bridge and launch at Southwell anyway regardless of the Hunts Falls barrier.

I "think" that the Pawtucket Launch is the ramp at the Sampas Pavilion (across from Heritage Farm Ice Cream Stand)

The one after the Rourke Bridge (on the Lowell Tyngsboro line) is The Rourke Brothers Launch.

So, it seems that DCR would open the gates earlier if the City of Lowell put the Hunts Falls barrier across earlier.

Doesn't exactly make a lot of sense to me as in the past you could cross the bridge and launch at Southwell anyway regardless of the Hunts Falls barrier.
Knowing DCR the way I do, they will use anything for an excuse. Last I knew it was the Boat club that put out the barrier barrels.

Back
Top Bottom