new to me Russian SKS

southshoresig

NES Member
I've always wanted an SKS but was holding out for a Russian one. I liked the reddish stocks( silly, I know). Anyways went into Collectors looking for nothing in particular, when this SKS catches my eye. Come to find out it's the owner Jack's and he's just taken it out of his safe after sitting for years. It appears to have not been fired( still cosmolene all over). It's stamped 1953 with what I take to be a Tula marking and all numbers seem to match. I'll try to get pictures soon. What can anybody tell me about the history of these rifles? Any way to tell if they've been refurbed?
Thanks

Thanks for the link Ray. I'm going to try and get some pics of the whole family tonite. Do these rifles like one type of 7.62x39 over another? I have a bunch of FMJ Wolf, I'm gonna try out today.

Anyways went into Collectors looking for nothing in particular, when this SKS catches my eye. Come to find out it's the owner Jack's and he's just taken it out of his safe after sitting for years.

Damn, I looked at that rifle. I thought it looked quite good, unfortunately I hesitated. Good score.

Some Wolf has hard primers. One of my Russian SKS rtifles wouldn't shoot every other round, but would heavily dent the primer. Golden Tiger on the other hand shoots fine in all mine.

I went ashootin an hour ago, and man this thing is sweet! I shot it better that any other rifle I have with iron sights, and this the first time out. I always held off on an SKS cause I just figured they were poor man's AK's. I like it better than any off the 3 AK's I've had. Here's my poor attempt at Milsurps4me-esque photo. I only had 5 boxes of Brown Bear with me but it seemed to love it. dad07001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
They're usually at the gun shows but they're also plenty cheap enough on e bay and the sks forums. Problem is some suck and some work great, theres no way to tell just by looking at them.
Everytime I shoot with them I keep saying I'm gonna separate the ones that don't work well and chuck em', problem is I just shove them all in my range bag.[laugh]

Back
Top Bottom