• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New sight improves marksmanship

Interesting that they're still "researching" partial triangle gun-sights.

The patent was filed in 1984! (25 years ago)

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4601121.html

Suresight has been selling them for years:

http://www.suresight.com/

I considered this style of sight for my Glock, but when using it I found I spent too much time aiming, trying to get proper alignment of the triangle before squeezing the trigger. With the Glock 3-dot combat sights, as long as I can see 3 dots in a line, I'm close enough. that's they they're intended for.

I also find it interesting that the researcher is comparing a standard Glock accuracy to a custom .22 target pistol with a virtually full wrap-around grip. Wow, the sight improves accuracy!

Last edited:
I've tried the triangle sights... they were distracting for me... but I suppose, like anything new, I would have gotten used to them.

Eventually to be banned in MA?

Here's the excuse:
"it is deemed to be a military feature not suitable for sporting purposes"

If you want to improve your sight picture this is the answer. And no I am not an employee nor do I have any connection with Eyepal. I checked it out at Marlboro a few shows ago thought it was pretty cool using the demo they had inside the show hall but did not buy. Then for some reason about 2 months ago I went online and bought the master set with one site for handgun and one for rifle. I tried out the rifle one with my SKS and AR it help with the sight picture. But the real test came at a steel plate shoot with the handgun. I shot 5 relays with the eyepal on my glasses and did very good by my standard. I was able to hit all the plates one shot right after the other, no where near as fast as many but good enough. When I thought I was done for the night I took it off. I then decided to shoot another relay but forgot to put it back on my glasses. Let me tell you it was very obvious to me and my buddy that was watching. Target acquisition was immediate with the eyepal on and not so without it. I know some folks may think it bad to build a reliance on this since it won't be in place in a self defence situation. I am not to concerned with this since in a self defense situation the level of precision and target distance is going to be less than shooting a 2 inch bullseye at 50 feet or even a steel plate. A 40 cal hollowpoint anywhere in the gut is going to slow down the bad guy and I dont think the lack of the eyepal is going to make any dif in that situation. Plus for 25 bucks it is just plain fun to have all sights and the target in focus.

http://www.myeyepal.com/eyepal_whose_using.html

Last edited:
As many competitive shooters are fond of saying: you can't buy points.

Meaning, of course, that being a gear queer is not going to make you a better shooter.

"As many competitive shooters are fond of saying: you can't buy points."

I totally disagree. It might not make you a better shooter, but it can definitely get you more points.

I am a competitive bullseye shooter and can tell you that it sure is easier shooting a good score with my Pardini, than with a some basic pistol (rough 8lb+ trigger). Good sights make a huge difference, as do good grips and of course a good trigger. Without any of these shooting good scores is harder than with them.

The same is true in golf, where people used to say you can't buy lower scores - I disagree there as well.

In both sports there is a reason that the top people use top equipment, and it is not just due to sponsorship. Will buying a top of the line target pistol make anybody a master shooter, no - but it makes it a lot easier to shoot master level scores than with low quality equipment. Having top equipment can definitely reduce errors (shot dispersion in either sport).

Will buying a top of the line target pistol make anybody a master shooter, no - but it makes it a lot easier to shoot master level scores than with low quality equipment. Having top equipment can definitely reduce errors (shot dispersion in either sport).

I've always said that top-of-the-line gear won't magically grant you mad skillz, but low-end shit will definitely make things worse. An easy to use, intuitive sighting system will allow you to focus on other things. Shitty sights will definitely hinder your progress.

I've always said that top-of-the-line gear won't magically grant you mad skillz, but low-end shit will definitely make things worse. An easy to use, intuitive sighting system will allow you to focus on other things. Shitty sights will definitely hinder your progress.

I agree, I am not aiming to be a master shooter but I do know I have more fun when I hit things better. The inexpensive piece of plastic with a pinhole stuck to my glasses lens lets me hit more things faster which means more fun so it scores points with me.

I was looking into these sights for my XD. Ended up going to Heinie Straight Eights. I find it easer to "stack the dots" as opposed to the traditional three dot sights.

I might go for a set of these for my next pistol, or when the tritium sights wear out in 10 years or so.

Back
Top Bottom