• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New rifle questons.

I havn't had a AR 15 or a rifle in my hands in since leaving Vietnam. I've been collecting handguns and shotguns for almost 40 years and want a rifle now.

So I'm clueless about what to look for. What I'm looking for, more or less is just some thing to use at the range. There are so many companies that make them now it's hard for me to just pick one out. They all look good to me.

So far I have toyed with the idea of a new Savage package with a scope in 308, getting a SKS and putting a scope on it or a AR 15. with a scope.

So if some of you guys would tell me about what they like to use at the range it would help me out.

CAR-15 (pre-ban) flat-top with AimPoint on it!

Stay AWAY from Olympic Arms guns, bad rep.

Good to go: Bushmaster, Rock Rivers, Armalite, Colt (you pay a premium for the pony) in particular.

I could shoot my AR15s all day long!

Savage does indeed make a nice accurate rifle for less money than you'd spend on something in the same class from other manufacturers. Their tactical series with Choate sniper stock and bi pod is a blast to shoot.

SKS rifles are dificult to scope properly because they were never intended for accuracy. I'm currently doing a project with a side mount drill and tap mount but haven't finished it yet. Heres where I got the idea.
http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews/choatesksscope/index.asp

AR style rifles are the most confusing to me, probably because I don't own one. They're pricey and most everyone I know that has one has built their own from various conponents depending on what they want it to do. I know Colt pre ban models get top dollar and i've heard good things about Bushmaster models, but the options are endless.

If you're looking for something really accurate be prepared to spend some cash, especially on a scope. If you want something that helps you see with the use of optics and is fun to shoot, you can probably pick up a Reminton 700 or Winchester model 70 at Wal Mart and scope it with something decent. Or talk to Carl at Four Seasons in Woburn and ask him to set you up with an inexpensive, but nice Savage.

I guess it all depends on exactly what you will be using the rifle for. I bought the Savage 110 rifle package. I wanted a nice quality, scoped rifle with a GREAT trigger that I could use at the range to punch holes in paper, and that would be a good rifle for hunting. I also have a couple of other rifles, but they also serve their intended purposes.

A word of caution on the SKS, as you may already know, there is quite a shortage of 7.62X39 ammo right now. It's not only hard to come by, but it's getting more and more expensive.

Adam

PS. I moved your thread to the Firearms, Equipment, and Ammo forum. You may get a better response here.

Yup, listen to Len on the AR's. I suppose you have to figure out first just what you want to do with it. If you think you're going to want to compete in service rifle, do it right the first time.
For me a scope doesn't look good on an AR same with an SKS. I'm more of a "purest".
Talk to Cledus J. Crabb here on the forum. He built up a Savage in .223 for his daughter.

Good luck in your decision [wink]

JonJ said:
Rock River? Sure you can unless they're refusing to sell here for some reason.

Do they only make post-ban?

I called around (FS & RRA) and posted elsewhere (or maybe it was here). Answer at the time was no. Anyhoot, I'll check it out again. I'd love one of those.

There is a very popular RRA dealer in NH. Unless it is only being sold in "no ban" config, it's perfectly legal here.

Regardless there is nothing wrong with a "during ban" RRA (I don't think the company existed pre-ban).

Perhaps RRA is making a political statement in not shipping anything into MA, some companies have taken that approach. But the NH dealer can sell to you if you drive up there (just make sure it is legal in MA, no "no ban" features).

As for confusion, here's the best approach (from someone who does NOT like the "bling bling" approach to guns):

- CAR-15 (pre-ban) for house-gun, flexibility (multiple shooters in households of different ages/arm length), fun gun.

- Std A2 config for more informal "target" shooting.

- CMP variant of AR15 for serious target shooting.

Ignore all the rails, lights, lasers, grenade launchers, etc. as totally unnecessary.

JonJ said:
LenS said:
Ignore all the rails, lights, lasers, grenade launchers, etc. as totally unnecessary.
Unless you're clearing building interiors [wink]

Agreed for "special purposes" but he wanted a range gun from my understanding.

He can always add the "bling bling" later if he really wants/needs it.

Just got this back from RRA...

Dear Sir:
Thank you for your inquiry.
We are unable, at this time, to ship rifles/lowers into Massachusets.
Best Regards,

Inside Sales
Rock River Arms, Inc.

senorFrog said:

Dear Sir:
Best Regards,

Inside Sales
Rock River Arms, Inc.
Damn. Sucks to see yet another company to refuse to do biz here because of our asinine laws and politicians.
Thanks for getting that, senor.

Hello, Bugs100;

I have to agree with Len. For an all around good shooter for plinking, doing a little competitive shooting, house gun (I realize there are cartridges with more stopping power and less penetration than .233), varmint control (If appropriate), and all around shooting, it’s hard to beat an AR-15. You could pick one up used and save a little money.

I personally need a Bushmaster, in a no frills A2 configuration. It’s somewhere on my shortlist of guns to buy (Of course after I buy one for you honey. That’s to SiameseRat not you.)

I don’t currently own one, but I’ve owned one and had occasion to shoot many.

Another option would be a bolt-action carbine in .223. I want to buy one for SiameseRat.

I say .223 because it is a relatively cheap and versatile rifle round, that is low recoil.

IMHO,
Patrick

I recently got an Bushmaster AR15 with 20" heavy target barrel, and I soon found it was just too heavy to hold comfortably for any length of time.

For the AR15 I would recommend something with a 16" or shorter barrel, the weight and balance make a lot of difference to my comfort.

I love the AR15 though. It's grip and trigger and general ergonomics feel great to me. I have a Ruger Mini-14 and it seems a little crude in comparison.

There was an AR15 carbine you could rent at the AFS range in North Attleboro, to try before you buy, but it was really beat up. They have some other rifles for rental as well.

senorFrog said:

Dear Sir:
Best Regards,

Inside Sales
Rock River Arms, Inc.

Translated into simple English . . .

"The ban is over, we're only building new product like the AR15 was designed to be (pre-ban config)! The rest of you can go F. . . yourselves!"

Can't say that I blame them. They are a small shop that recently won a big Fed contract (due to very high quality product and reasonable price). It would probably be too expensive for them to maintain two distinct production lines and inventories of product.

I would NOT write off RRA due to this issue, they make much too fine a product at reasonable cost to write them off.

I would look for used or a non-MA dealer with "older product" (compliant with our silly ban). You can buy one of their new lowers (not in true CAR config) and a compliant upper, slip the two pins in and go with it.

Thanks for all the help. It helped me make up my mind. I'm going to get the Savage package from Carl. It's going to take me a while to pick one out since there all so close in price and features.

Then I'm going to look around for a used Bushmater. I would like one like their M4A3/M4A2.

Thanks again!!!!

On the FS page

Consider a SAVAGE ARMS rifle....This is what I own.
pg12b.gif

Model 110GXP3 with ACCU - TRIGGER

OUR PRICE: $439.95

Offered in the ten most widely demanded hunting calibers, the 110GXP3 has Savage's famous out-of-the-box accuracy combined with a 3x9x32 factory mounted and boresighted scope and a one inch military style leather sling for easy carrying. Designed for convenience and quality, the 110GXP3 offers one of the best values in firearms available today. Ear plugs, trigger lock and target included. ALL YOU NEED IS AMMUNITION!

Also available with a durable synthetic stock and in left-hand models.

LET US SET YOU UP WITH A SAVAGE RIFLE TODAY.

What is the best caliber to get in the Savage package. I was thinking about .308 but the .223 is cheaper to shoot. I'm just going to punch paper.

If your just going to put holes in paper, why not go for the cheep diet. Although you can get 308 surplus ammo for pretty short money. I use mine for hunting as well, so I went with the 308.

Adam

Back
Top Bottom