• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New pup/bird dog

Picked up an 8 month old springer this weekend from a local breeder. He has great lines out of a hunting breeder in the midwest. Super energetic, smart and really likes the kids. Lota work to do to get him ready. Very excited to go play with him!

max%203_zps1bx4kizn.jpg

max%202_zps6v7fkpym.jpg

max_zpsjdaudtet.jpg

Feel free to share any good resources on training a bird dog. I have a 4 y/o male Weimaraner I'd like to take with me this season to start figuring things out. I rescued him a few months ago and am not sure if he has any experience or not.

Feel free to share any good resources on training a bird dog. I have a 4 y/o male Weimaraner I'd like to take with me this season to start figuring things out. I rescued him a few months ago and am not sure if he has any experience or not.

Richard Wolters "Gun Dog"

Nice looking dog OP.

Great looking pup! They love to hunt and they're great family dogs. Ours is 7, and she still hunts hard all day, runs rings around younger dogs and is a well-behaved family member in the house. We've had springers since I was a little kid, and each one has his/her own personality, but they've all been good dogs.

What an adorable pup! Congrats! They have great noses.

Took a semi private class with my GSDs and a SS with a trainer who teaches and competes in nosework with her Mals. The SS was a hoot to watch her lil bum shake whenever she was rewarded for a find. She approached everything so happy- they seem delightful and sweet.

Many years ago I bought a 2 year old english show setter which was never hunted and never heard a gun shot. I took him to a pheasant farm to see how he would do. Well the other guy shot a .410 away from him and about 30 yds. back as soon as the pheasant took off in front of my dog. At the sound of the gun the dog ran a quarter of a mile back to my car. The guy told me to take him back home and come back the next week. When we came back the guy set a bird for my dog to find. He told me not to shoot unless I new I wouldn't miss. Well my dog flushed the cock and as he jumped up to try and catch it I shot and the bird fell to the ground in front of the dog. From then on he understood what the noise was for and he would go nuts every time he saw me get out the shotgun. I'm telling you this so you will be very careful the first time you shoot near him.

Last edited:
great dog. My BIL had one. We would go out on the boat with him and we'd throw a ball off the back of the boat. The dog would jump off the back, swam around the whole boat, pick up the ball and climb back aboard. It was hilarious to watch. We never figured out why the dog always did a lap around the boat before picking up the ball....lol

Congrats! Cute puppy.
Now the fun starts. I have a year into my English pointer and it's been a trip.
Can't wait to get out Saturday!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom