New P938. Trigger Questions.

I just checked the trigger pivot action on my cz 75 p01. Bottom of trigger (hard to do in real life) in DA mode gave a trigger pull of 6 pounds, very top of trigger (also almost impossible to do in real life) gave a trigger pull of 10 pounds. My trigger finger gets about 8 pounds in da, one third up from the bottom of the trigger. So yes, trigger pull with pivot action will vary in both the p938 and cz p 01 depending on where you pull the trigger.

The trigger on my 938 has smoothed itself quite a bit through firing. It's not lighter but the smoothing gives the illusion of it being lighter. Although I have light triggers on other 1911's, I wouldn't mess with this one. It's pretty good just as it is now and is more DA proof because it's not tampered with.

Last edited:
The trigger on my 938 has smoothed itself quite a bit through firing. It's not lighter but the smoothing gives the illusion of it being lighter. Although I have light triggers on other 1911's, I wouldn't mess with this one. It's pretty good just as it is now and is more DA proof because it's not tampered with.

Correct, I think the trigger pull weight is due to how when the trigger pushes the safety pin blocker forward, in addition to moving the sear. The true gauge of this would be to remove the hammer and get a reading of the weight then. I agree, the weight of the trigger pull is acceptable for EDC. I wouldn't want a failure to fire because I swapped out the hammer spring and got a light primer strike.

I just picked up the Rosewood Mass version on the 18th, I love this gun. I don't notice the complaints mentioned by others about the stock trigger, I don't have a gauge, but guess 6 lbs. Comparing it to the M&P stock and then after the 4lb apex trigger. I am amazed at the accuracy and really like the sights, after a few mags, I was already punching out centers at 25', almost shooting better than my M&P( need to ditch the XS big dot sights and get a smaller front sight). I've seen alot of folks polishing the barrel, which I think would looked nice on the Rosewood. I noticed that Sig did not publish anything on the barrel construction. I called Customer Service today, they didn't have much to offer, but the barrel is not Stainless Steel, is it Carbon Steel, so I am keeping a coating on it.

Bumping this thread.

I am in the market for Sig P938. Has any one done a trigger job and seen improvements ?

Overall size it's a tad bigger than the 238. In my eyes it's a no brainier to get the 938 over the 238.

Thanks for any input

I have a 938 rosewood. Build date is May 22 2015. My trigger has an effortless 1/8 of an inch take up and then a crisp break. I really think it's pretty decent. To me, it's useless to try to shoot with out the pinky extended magazine though. Really nice carry guy.

So I am looking to reduce the trigger pull weight. I've seen that you can get reduced power hammer springs (Galloway precision sells them but they are OOS currently). However I have also seen videos that suggest that you need to disassemble damn near the whole gun just to remove this spring (it is effectively the mainspring that a 1911 has).

Has anyone done this? And if so, what did you do? Did you have to disassemble everything?

Yes, I disassembled the gun and reassembled using a 20# mainspring. Yes and then reassemble per instructions. It was easy - the secret handshake to get the trigger parts all lined up took a bit of figuring out.

Good luck

I have both a 938 and 238 and I didn't think the trigger was bad out of the box to be honest.

^^This
the stock trigger is short and crisp. what else could one want from it

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, I disassembled the gun and reassembled using a 20# mainspring. Yes and then reassemble per instructions. It was easy - the secret handshake to get the trigger parts all lined up took a bit of figuring out.

Good luck

it's a single action pistol. the trigger travel is short. is ignition reliable w weaker mainspring?

Last edited:
Thanks guys.

I know some love the trigger and some bitch. Shooting my SR9c then my buddies P938 you def. notice trigger pull.

I personally thought the trigger was decent when I shot my buddies. Shot it when it was brand new. So didn't see the results of the trigger smoothing out.

Have any of you noticed the trigger smoothing out after 200 rounds or so?

Some guys are using the Wolff Hammer Spring to lighten the trigger pull.

Last edited:
Yes, the trigger improves over time. As stated in the other post, I have come to realize that over 70% of the trigger pull weight is attributed to the actual geometry of the trigger to trigger bar and the spring that is in there. The reason the travel is so long is that it has to rotate the firing pin blocker out of the way before the sear dis-engages from the hammer.

Bumping this thread.

I am in the market for Sig P938. Has any one done a trigger job and seen improvements ?

Overall size it's a tad bigger than the 238. In my eyes it's a no brainier to get the 938 over the 238.

Thanks for any input

Thanks guys.

I know some love the trigger and some bitch. Shooting my SR9c then my buddies P938 you def. notice trigger pull.

I personally thought the trigger was decent when I shot my buddies. Shot it when it was brand new. So didn't see the results of the trigger smoothing out.

Have any of you noticed the trigger smoothing out after 200 rounds or so?

Some guys are using the Wolff Hammer Spring to lighten the trigger pull.

I never ended up doing anything with the trigger. I just kept shooting it. IDK how many rounds I have through it, likely more than 300 at this point. The trigger has smoothed out some.

What I have noticed though is that the Ambidextrous safety is destroying my pants. It has eaten through my pocket on two pairs of pants and it starting to eat through the outer layer now. Soon the safety will get caught by the hole that it has created.

Back
Top Bottom