• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New NH Resident Getting NR Permit in MA?

In a few months I'll be moving from the free Commonwealth of Virginia to NH.

I've had a VA CHP for years now. It appears to be quite simple to get the NH permit. How easy will it be to get a NR permit for MA?

Thanks.

MA permit is a pain in the ass, it's $100 a year and only good for a year... and if you don't want it restricted, you have to, well, being annoyingly persuasive. (if you have prior experience, shooting courses, etc... you're going to want to put together a crap flooding package for them- if they get the hint that you're not f***ing around, you'll probably get unrestricted. ) You'll have to get an appointment with CJIS in person to even apply for the thing. At least they allow a remote renewal now, so once you get the damned thing, it's not that hard to keep it, as long as you remember to apply for renewal like 3 or 4 months before expiration.

FWIW even if you get a restricted, it's worth knowing that the card is probably enough to keep you out of jail, but with a bad LEO that might only be a one way ticket. If you're not in MA on a regular basis honestly I wouldn't even bother.

-Mike

At least they allow a remote renewal now, so once you get the damned thing, it's not that hard to keep it, as long as you remember to apply for renewal like 3 or 4 months before expiration.

-Mike

My understanding of the MA non-res LTC is that you have to renew annually (at $100.00 a pop) and could do that remotely, but that you were still required to make an in-person appearance at the FRB in Chelsea once every 6 years while the LTC is active.

My understanding of the MA non-res LTC is that you have to renew annually (at $100.00 a pop) and could do that remotely, but that you were still required to make an in-person appearance at the FRB in Chelsea once every 6 years while the LTC is active.
Correct.

A couple addendums to Mike's comment:
- If you live near the border and will/may be crossing into MA at any point, getting a NR LTC makes sense as a mere .22LR spent casing rolling around in your car is a felony without it!
- If you are a MSP BFS Instructor you must maintain your LTC and at any point it is expired you can not sign off on any certs for folks to get their MA LTC/FID!!

Unfortunately, I do foresee a need to be in MA on occasion, to visit wife's family, to compete in events, and to instruct at Appleseeds.

Here's a little comparison:

I dropped off my NH resident permit application at 6:30 PM on a Friday. It was ready for pickup at 11:00 AM on Monday, and cost $10 for 4 years.

About a week after I mailed my MA non-res application they scheduled me an appointment, more than a month into the future. Once I finally have that appointment, I'm going to be waiting...I expect 3+ months. And it's $100 a year, every year...plus those nice visits to Chelsea every few years.

But, I have lots of family and friends in MA and I am in-state 5+ days out of a week. As Len said, I'm getting it as a CYA for casings/components/misc stuff as much as anything, although even a restricted will let me do competitions and go to/from the club I am still a member of. The $100/year sucks, but it's cheaper than court/jail.

Thanks guys. I'm not excited above moving to the North, but the wife wants to for family reasons and anywhere she wants to go, I do too. I remember the BS about empty cases being felony bait, and as an active competitor and instructor it's guaranteed that there are more than a few in the crevices of the truck's interior and the bottom of range bag pockets and target boxes. So the permit is cheap insurance. I won't mention about how the worst violent crime rates are in states controlled by a certain organization, YKWIM, so self-preservation is a factor, too.

Back
Top Bottom