New Model Savage A22 in 22lr

slap shot

NES Member
I was looking for a decent 22lr semi when I saw the Dick's ad selling 10/22's for $199. I almost pulled the trigger, but having built up my son's, I knew I'd be spending 3 times that making it good. Barrel, stock, trigger, bolt release etc. Started looking at alternatives and came across this new model from Savage. Accutrigger, supposedly better barrel, good enough stock but Boyd's is making them in case, looked promising. Also has 10 round rotary mags, like the Ruger.

I guess the 17HMR and 22 mag were big hits so they made one in 22lr. They've only been out a few months, so I thought i'd post up a mini review.

Picked it up today, home for a thorough strip, clean and light lube, attached a scope and off to the range.

010.jpg

The action is very smooth and the magazine pops in and out solidly, even with frozen fingers. Little button underneath to lock the bolt open, doesn't lock open on last shot. Ran CCI mini mags, CCI standard, Golden Bullets and Federal target bulk. Put a few hundred rounds through with zero malfunctions, likes the CCI standard, but I have much better ammo to test it's accuracy next trip.

For the first time out, good breeze and frosty, the groups were decent, 25 yds here. Mixed ammo.
014.jpg

50 yds with CCI here, not great but promising

013_1.jpg

Has a very nice feel for a $200 gun. MSRP $281 but I found a great deal on GB.

savage1.jpg

Overall, very happy with it. [thumbsup] Hope to get back out tomorrow with some Eley and SK target ammo.

Any other Savage .22 owners out there?

Last edited:
Savage/stevens/marlin have been putting out very good 22s since the dawn of the 22lr. It's no surprise they put out another model (looks based on the model 60 action)
For a decent price that gets darn good accuracy out of the box. Your last group at 50 yards is about 1 MOA with CCI how can you go wrong for 200$ with that type of accuracy.

Curious to see what it does with the Ely and other match ammo especially in the cold.

I have a savage 99 and a mid 50s savage 22lr semi auto. I forget the model name at the moment. Want to say 6S.

Last edited:
Looks a lot like a ruger 10/22. Good deal if it's got a better barrel and only 200 bucks!!

Looks a lot like a ruger 10/22. Good deal if it's got a better barrel and only 200 bucks!!

That's what i'm reading. It's actually threaded into the receiver versus pressed in. 10/22's are great and just run, but to run that reliably they have to make some sacrifices with regard to tolerances. At least that's what they preach on RimfireCentral.

Trigger is good but I'm going to mod it to get it down to 1-1.5 pounds. Another great feature is the ability to safely bring the stock Accutrigger down to under 1 pound pull easily and safely.

That's what i'm reading. It's actually threaded into the receiver versus pressed in. 10/22's are great and just run, but to run that reliably they have to make some sacrifices with regard to tolerances. At least that's what they preach on RimfireCentral.

Trigger is good but I'm going to mod it to get it down to 1-1.5 pounds. Another great feature is the ability to safely bring the stock Accutrigger down to under 1 pound pull easily and safely.

the 2 things that i think have really kept savage on the better side of inexpensive 22s the accutrigger and micro grove barrels.

the access or rear dust cover is also a great feature. makes cleaning from the breach much easier if your the type that stresses that. Easy to take down also.Also has 2 point action screw attachment something ruger should have down a few decades ago.

So, I just couldn't leave well enough alone. I broke it. [sad] I measured the trigger pull at 3.5 pounds, which feels like a Massachusetts Shield for bench shooting. The advertised low end is 2.5 pounds and you can get a 1.5 spring from SSS for $5. Anyway, i had to take it all apart and see if I could get it lower using mods I saw in youtube. duh, Long story short, I got a prepaid label and it's heading back to Westfield. I was considering sending it in anyway as they told me over the phone the pull should be lower. Hoping for aquick turnaround as I plan to use it for the Winterseed. Saving the day was the fact I brought my son's built up 10/22 I was planning to use as comparison. This has the promag stock, green mountain bull barrel, bx trigger etc. Just some groups to check out while I wait for my Savage. This is a very capable rifle. Again it was frigid and blowing. The one 3 shot group with Eley target stood out. Crappy Sweet 22 3-9 on this one. Might need more magnification if it's gonna shoot this good.

Blazer at 25 yds, 10 shots Ruger 10/22

005.jpg

Same rifle @ 50 yds, 6 3 shot groups CCI SV, Eley Target and SK Pistol Match

004.jpg

Got it back from Savage Thursday. The work order only has, inspection, headspace check, assemble small parts, polish chamber, check complete, and function fire check. I'm not sure why the trigger wasn't resetting, but it was only after I had it all apart so I'll take the blame.

Took it out today because I really wanted to see how it did with temps in the teens. 100 rounds of flawless operation. They even threw in 2 of the new rotary 10 round mags. Had some nice groups at 100 yards too with a stiff breeze. Very accurate.

Installed a target trigger spring and tried it out at about 2.5 lbs. These 3 5 shot groups all touching and the 10 shot group has a scope adjustment halfway through. Thinking this will make a great Appleseed gun.

013_4.jpg

Just updating as I took it to an Appleseed today, as I planned to do when I bought it. Cold, rainy and crappy out but the little Savage ran flawlessly.

008_2.jpg

NICE... I don't get to pick my range days so when I can go I go no matter the weather. It's a good feeling when you shoot well in not so good weather.
I also think there is a level of concentration when the weather is not so good.. you need to do us a bit more I think.
Also nice when plans and goals work out.

No to reward yourself maybe come to OCSA in Pembroke tomorrow and shoot a M1 garand ! 830 am

NICE... I don't get to pick my range days so when I can go I go no matter the weather. It's a good feeling when you shoot well in not so good weather.
I also think there is a level of concentration when the weather is not so good.. you need to do us a bit more I think.
Also nice when plans and goals work out.

No to reward yourself maybe come to OCSA in Pembroke tomorrow and shoot a M1 garand ! 830 am

Haha, thank you for the invite but I still need to order one. Heading back tomorrow as my son's 10-22 was having issues cycling CCI SV. I tore it down, scrubbed the chamber, cleaned and relubed everything and took it to the range and ran 5 other types of ammo flawlessly. Almost like the SV is bigger or not lubed. Anyway, we're heading back tomorrow for his patch.

I got a Savage FV in .22WMR and like it a lot.

How about a couple of pix of the rotary mag next time you're snappin. Thanks, ~Matt

I got a Savage FV in .22WMR and like it a lot.

How about a couple of pix of the rotary mag next time you're snappin. Thanks, ~Matt

There's a lot of pics online of the mags. Same as the .17HMR and .22mag. If i have any complaint about the gun, it's that you need to firmly press that mag in or when you cycle the charging handle the mag will come out. Takes a little practice and I don't do it anymore but I let my son use mine when his 10/22 was acting up and he had one come out.

savage-magazine-600x398.jpg

Haha, thank you for the invite but I still need to order one. Heading back tomorrow as my son's 10-22 was having issues cycling CCI SV. I tore it down, scrubbed the chamber, cleaned and relubed everything and took it to the range and ran 5 other types of ammo flawlessly. Almost like the SV is bigger or not lubed. Anyway, we're heading back tomorrow for his patch.

They got loaners and ammo, slings,jackets,mats...

Have you had any experience with SSS? I have an A22 thumbole which I swear has like a 5lb trigger. Other than the trigger the thing is awesome, so I want to fix it.

I was looking for a decent 22lr semi when I saw the Dick's ad selling 10/22's for $199. I almost pulled the trigger, but having built up my son's, I knew I'd be spending 3 times that making it good. Barrel, stock, trigger, bolt release etc. Started looking at alternatives and came across this new model from Savage. Accutrigger, supposedly better barrel, good enough stock but Boyd's is making them in case, looked promising. Also has 10 round rotary mags, like the Ruger.

I guess the 17HMR and 22 mag were big hits so they made one in 22lr. They've only been out a few months, so I thought i'd post up a mini review.

Picked it up today, home for a thorough strip, clean and light lube, attached a scope and off to the range.

010.jpg

The action is very smooth and the magazine pops in and out solidly, even with frozen fingers. Little button underneath to lock the bolt open, doesn't lock open on last shot. Ran CCI mini mags, CCI standard, Golden Bullets and Federal target bulk. Put a few hundred rounds through with zero malfunctions, likes the CCI standard, but I have much better ammo to test it's accuracy next trip.

For the first time out, good breeze and frosty, the groups were decent, 25 yds here. Mixed ammo.
014.jpg

50 yds with CCI here, not great but promising

013_1.jpg

Has a very nice feel for a $200 gun. MSRP $281 but I found a great deal on GB.

savage1.jpg

Overall, very happy with it. [thumbsup] Hope to get back out tomorrow with some Eley and SK target ammo.

Any other Savage .22 owners out there?
I decided that a bolt-action .22 would be the best choice for my 6 year old daughter's first rifle. I chose Savage's Troy Landry model. Its compact 16.5" heavy barrel and accutrigger provide amazing accuracy. I topped it with a fixed 4X Leopold. Although mag-fed, the magazines stay in my pocket. We use it as a single-shot. I am teaching little Jill that the deadliest shot is the single, well-aimed shot.

BTW those of you with A22's, a Pelican 1060 (damn cheap on amazon) will hold 10 mags pefectly. If you want them to not rattle, you can add a spacer like I did (1" wide piece of Ipe, cause why not!) or 2 boxes of 50 rounds of CCI 22LR. I have 5 mags, but I moved them around to make sure 10 would fit.

View: https://imgur.com/a/WaxUcaT

Excellent idea. I have 3 of these rifles now, 1 semi and 2 bolts and 9 mags. I guess I need to buy 1 more lol

I decided that a bolt-action .22 would be the best choice for my 6 year old daughter's first rifle. I chose Savage's Troy Landry model. Its compact 16.5" heavy barrel and accutrigger provide amazing accuracy. I topped it with a fixed 4X Leopold. Although mag-fed, the magazines stay in my pocket. We use it as a single-shot. I am teaching little Jill that the deadliest shot is the single, well-aimed shot.

I've added 2 bolts now and love them. The standard pencil barrel model and the shorter, threaded bull with the included rail. The accutrigger can be improved when she's ready with a lighter "target" spring.

Have you had any experience with SSS? I have an A22 thumbole which I swear has like a 5lb trigger. Other than the trigger the thing is awesome, so I want to fix it.

Swapping the spring is simple. Do you have the info? I can dig up if needed.

I've added 2 bolts now and love them. The standard pencil barrel model and the shorter, threaded bull with the included rail. The accutrigger can be improved when she's ready with a lighter "target" spring.
Just ordered it, thank you.

It’s such a fun rifle, bummed I’ll be missing next Appleseed, but I’ll plan to be there he one after and run the a22.
That is one of the main advantages of these rifles. We own stainless Savage Axis rifles in .223 and .308, both mounted with 3X-9X Leupold scopes. I started training little Jill with subsonic .22 LR (Remington) so she can concentrate on her target instead of the rifle's report.

Back
Top Bottom