New Member from Franklin, MA

Hello anyone reading, my name is Laura. I'm a chef.

I just moved here from New Jersey in early September and want to meet people that share similar interests and ideas.

I wanted to get my FID right away as I already owned a shotgun, I didn't realize I would have the right to carry. It's a wonderful thing. I got my LTC in 4 weeks.

I've met a lot of great people at the MFS. I'm a member there, and shoot at least once a week.

I currently own a Remington 1100 that I bought in 2011, and my most recent purchase of a S&W M&P 9mm Shield that is my carry weapon.

Going to the Sturbridge Gun Show this weekend. My first, as New Jersey wasn't really a hotbed of gun enthusiasts. I was a minority.

Thanks for creating a place for gun enthusiasts and hunters.

Happy New Year everyone! ;)

Welcome and Happy New Year!

Lots of good people and info here. Maybe I'll see you at MFS. The Mrs and I are there once a week.

Welcome.
LTC in 4 weeks, seems like Franklin has their act together.
Where are you a chef?

Thanks! I was there today doing drills my instructor there taught me. I'm getting better and loving every minute of it.

- - - Updated - - -

I worked for Bobby Flay for two years before I moved here. I also own my own catering company. Lost all my clients with the move. Looking to build my business back up and get cooking.

Laura, welcome to the forum! This place is full of great people and information. It's a wonderful resource for 2A supporters.

Welcome to NES Laura!
You've picked a nice area (around Boston) to rebuild the career.

Paul

Mrs iofneedle is thinking of going to baking and pastry school. You might have to meet up at the range to shoot and talk shop.

I didn't go to culinary school. I had natural talent and ambition. Worked for people that wanted to teach me because they could see I possessed both those qualities and more. But I always recommend a proper education when it comes to anything worth focusing your energy on. I'd be happy to talk about bone burning, pastry arts, wine, and guns. I still have a lot to learn about firearms. It's an addictive, expensive hobby and I love it.

Welcome, Laura.

Wow, what does that say about New Jersey, when Massachusetts is a step up in your gun rights?

Seriously. I was baffled when I started taking classes at the MFS and learned the laws here. How ultra liberal the Commonwealth can be one minute and ultra conservative the next.

Mind blown.

I didn't go to culinary school. I had natural talent and ambition. Worked for people that wanted to teach me because they could see I possessed both those qualities and more. But I always recommend a proper education when it comes to anything worth focusing your energy on. I'd be happy to talk about bone burning, pastry arts, wine, and guns. I still have a lot to learn about firearms. It's an addictive, expensive hobby and I love it.

Addictive? You bet!

Expensive? Only if your gun collection is worth more than your house.

Guns are as natural to me and my family as frogs in a pond. We have guns that have been in our family for 5 generations.

Welcome aboard.

Welcome Laura! You picked a great area to move in to, I'm a Town over. We have a couple great clubs in the area, Hopkinton Sportsmen's Association as well as Southborough Rob and Gun. Happy to give you a tour of either, send me a PM if interested. If you are looking for any part time/full time work while you are getting your business off the ground I can put you in touch with my SIL, she's the Head Chef at Bakers Best, they are always looking for good people.
-Brian

Welcome Laura! I'm very new here on the site but have already gotten lots of help getting back into shooting. I have been at it off and on a lot through the years. Plenty of help and answers here on NES. Best of luck!
-Mike

Hi Laura, I just moved out of Franklin, awesome chief, and Precision Armament werks right down the street, if you have any questions, just ask

Were you with him at the Maisey Convention in Florida? Welcome to the forum. Another Franklinite here. Great town.

Last edited:
Hi Laura,

New member myself. Also, did some coursework at MFS. Welcome to NES.

Best wishes for your business, hope to see the sign reading "2ndAmendment Catering" someday... [grin]

Welcome!! I'm new to NES also...bought my first gun about a month ago and have put about 500 rounds through it! Addictive is an understatement! BTW...I'm next door in Bellingham!

Laura, if you're interested in seeing Westwood Gun Club we can arrange a visit for you. It's just a mile up the road from Fin, Fur and Feather. Bob P, also from Franklin, and I, among many others, are members there. It's a shooters club without much in the way of politics.

Fin, Fur and Feather has an indoor handgun range and has an incredible skeet and trap shooting setups (and some damn good shooters). Fin, Fur and Feather is limited when it comes to rifle shooting. Westwood Gun Club has a new, very nice trap range. You can shoot rifle everyday at up to 100 yards. There's about 8 bays of outdoor pistol shooting. And numerous times a month they open up the 250 yard range. WGC does not have an indoor range. Those are essentially the differences.

Let either of us know and we can meet up with you and bring along an assortment of firearms to try out. I think Rep308 is a member at both and can likely add some intel.

Now on to the important stuff... food. We had dinner this week at Wolfgang Puck's "Cut" steak house in Vegas with a client. I've got to say it was a mediocre meal at very expensive prices. The best thing about the meal were the onion rings. The 35 day old aged NY strip was on the dry side and not terribly flavorful. I enjoy a solid medium rare and they brought it out rare. All steaks were undercooked. 2 out of 5 stars for me. Other's shared the sentiment. Now I had the best meal of my life at Craftsteak at the MGM in Vegas. Way more expensive than "Cut" and worth every friggin' penny.

So, chef, what do you think is the best way to cook a thick steak? :)

Last edited:
............................. All steaks were undercooked. 2 out of 5 stars for me. Other's shared the sentiment. Now I had the best meal of my life at Craftsteak at the MGM in Vegas. Way more expensive than "Cut" and worth every friggin' penny.

So, chef, what do you think is the best way to cook a thick steak? :)

I'm no chef, but the best way to cook a steak is 30 seconds on each side. If cows weren't covered in all that hair I'd take a bite out of them while they were standing there.

I'm no chef, but the best way to cook a steak is 30 seconds on each side. If cows weren't covered in all that hair I'd take a bite out of them while they were standing there.

(Funny little local trivia, Luis Guzmán, who was also in that movie being unwillingly suckled by a hungry calf, lives just across the river from me in the NEK, just outside St. J.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom