New Mass Firearms Bills on the Horizon?

JonJ

NES Member
Well after about a 25yr hiatus, I re-joined the Plymouth Rod and Gun Club. I brought my application tonight and stayed for part of the meeting. There was mention of 2 new bills that may be proposed. One was a tax on on handguns and the other was requiring that any ammo that is to be shipped into this great state will have to be in a "special container".
Anyone have any other info?
Jon

New bills

:) GOAL has a number of bills before the Mass. legislature. They are targeted at the discriminatory discretion used by a number of police chiefs in the state. Others are to change the confusing lanquage of Chapter 180 which allows police chiefs to place restrictions, ie. hunting, employment, etc. on a LTC A, when the law states the license allows the holder to possess, carry, rent, lease, buy, etc., for "all lawful purposes".
The question is, how can you place restrictions on the term "all lawful practices". Isn't concealed carry a "lawful purpose"? If you apply for a driver's license, contractors license, a license to practice law or medicine, and you pay the fee and meet the requirements, isn't the license issued to you without restrictions? Why for firearms? The purpose is to make Mass. a "shall issue" state and eliminate discretion. Your background check, not the local chief, should determine if yout license will be issued. Nationally the NRA has a bill before Congress for a "national reciprocity", which means if you have a permit in one state, that permit will be valid in all states. No more need for non resident licenses.

Jon,

Every year our enemies file bills to eliminate guns, ammo, etc. We must be ever vigilante to prevent them from passing in the dark of night!

Typical bills filed each session:
-Requiring million dollar liability policy for owner of handguns,
- Limiting one purchase/month,
- Banning certain guns,
- Registering sales of ammo,
- etc. ad nauseum!

Sen. Barrios as chair of the Public Safety Committee is a VERY DANGEROUS (and totally obnoxious) person as he can push thru bills he likes and kill those he doesn't like. He hates guns and the only people that might get thru to him are his own kind who think differently . . . The Pink Pistols. He is gay and I don't think he'd have a good comeback at a gay advocacy group that explains that their victimization as gays has led them to NEED to defend themselves just to survive. Barrios has no respect for and no use for the rest of us who are straight!

Also, every session GOAL files some bills in the hopes to get some positive change for us. Most die, and every so-many years we may get one thru (like last year).

Most of the wheeling and dealing is done in "the back rooms" outside the public purview.

Congrats on joining a club, enjoy!

I saw a few days ago on the MA firearms list mention of a proposed bill. "AN ACT TO REDUCE GANG VIOLENCE IN THE COMMONWEALTH" and yes it was one of Barrios' Bills.
There is mention of every new firearm that comes in the state must have a spent round, bullet and casing in a sealed container. For ballistic ID. This must have been what the gent at the club was talking about.
Just another way to make our sport more expensive so that in his eyes we won't spend the money to but them and the manufactures won't want to jump through more hoops.
http://www.mass.gov/legis/bills/senate/st01/st01331.htm

It's gonna be fun going back to range, Len. Wish I was "in" already, I'd love to be out there today. Had a good day yesterday for my yearly QUAL.
Now to get the wife to shoot too.
Jon

I really don't understand why the lawmakers waste money trying to regulate something that doesn't need regulating. The problem ISN'T the guns that are bought legally. Its the ones that are purchased ILLEGALLY. Gang bangers are going to find a way to get their guns across state lines. That simple. Someone needs to smack these lawmakers with a dose of common sense. How far do i have to go to purchase one without a license? Drive it back, sell to the highest bidder. Am I the going to file the proper paperwork on an ILLEGALtransaction? Hell no. Is the gangbanger i sold to going to file the paperwork? Hell no. Spend the tax dollar on something more valid. Make the penalty for the crimes committed with guns stiffer. Anything. Why is it that the law abiding citizen keeps getting in the end. Thats the end of my little rant. It gets me upset this blant stupidity.

I really don't understand why the lawmakers waste money trying to regulate something that doesn't need regulating. The problem ISN'T the guns that are bought legally. Its the ones that are purchased ILLEGALLY. Gang bangers are going to find a way to get their guns across state lines. That simple. Someone needs to smack these lawmakers with a dose of common sense. How far do i have to go to purchase one without a license? Drive it back, sell to the highest bidder. Am I the going to file the proper paperwork on an ILLEGALtransaction? Hell no. Is the gangbanger i sold to going to file the paperwork? Hell no. Spend the tax dollar on something more valid. Make the penalty for the crimes committed with guns stiffer. Anything. Why is it that the law abiding citizen keeps getting in the end. Thats the end of my little rant. It gets me upset this blant stupidity.

Welcome to Massachusetts.

I wish I could remember the exact quote and source for this saying. Here's my bad paraphrase:

You can't reason someone out of a position that they didn't use reason to get into in the first place.

The proposed laws are based on emotion, not reason.

There are a ton of new bills that are going before the state senate again all aimed at tightening gun control even more in our wonderful state. One of which is similar to the one introduced in California which would require gun makers to make guns stamp the make, model, serial # and such on a bullet case when fired. This is just an example of the crazy bills being introduced. I suggest people take some action no matter how minor. Personally I sent an e-mail to a couple senate members. You may have received an e-mail from the NRA or GOAL on this already.

Maybe our AG can setup some straw purchases and buy some guns from out of state and sue them.

Back
Top Bottom