New Hunter Help

I am new to the hunting scene. I got my license last year and am hoping to find some tips or even better someone to go hunting with to show me the ropes of hunting. I have a antlerless for this season (Zone 9) and my wetlands and bird stamps for my license. Hopefully I am not the only hunting newbie out there. [smile]

no your not the only one. i just started last year, got my first buck and pheasant too. the best advice i can give you is to do some research on the net, ask question both online and at some fishing/hunting places - best bet would be somewhere that checks in deer for hunters, watch hunting shows/dvds. Also get out into the field and look around for signs I.E. scrapes, droppings and trails.

if you were closer to me i would go out with you. are you looking to go during archery, shotgun, muzzle loader or all 3?

Decide if you believe in the scent blocker stuff and if you do pick up some stuff. if your short on money like i am most of the time just pick up a piece here and there. if you don't have any this year start by just getting the spray and use it all over when you park your car, use it on the bottom of your shoes too, that way your not tracking scent into the woods.

some people don't believe in the stuff and to tell you the truth i am not positive either. However i used it last year and had a doe come within 10 feet of me, she never knew i was there! that's good enough for me to keep using it.

there is all kinds of gear that will make it easier for you but for your first time its not really needed. I'm talking about range finders, binoculars ETC. they are great to have but since the season is already here if you don't have them don't worry about it this time.

Follow the yellow "Deer Crossing" signs on the highway. Many of these spots are on the back sides of State Forests. It's a depiction of a great 5x5 or better! Google Earth the area to see what's around, get a local map that will show parks, etc...

Over the years many of these signs had a red nose put on them. [smile]

Ease into the gear like The Hobbit said. I bought a cheap but heavy/awkward climber, and wish I'd held out for better. Now I'm into a mix of built, ladder, hang-ons, and the climber is a backup.

The climber is used to hang the hang-ons and screw in steps, working from high to low.

What is the word on ground blinds? Should I go strictly for a tree stand? Any other suggestions as to where to go? I was thinking the Leominster State forrest or one of the other Wildlife managemnt areas.

What is the word on ground blinds? Should I go strictly for a tree stand? Any other suggestions as to where to go? I was thinking the Leominster State forrest or one of the other Wildlife managemnt areas.

Click here for places to go

as for ground blinds, just make sure to hang hunter orange on all 4 sides. you would not want a hunter, who misses his game, to hit you in the blind because he couldn't see you there.

I know nothing about waterfowl. But for deer, IMO, no need for a blind. If you're hunting shotgun, you want to be seen as hobbit says. Archery usually means you're camoed.

I scout before the season and make a decision about the spot most likely to payoff based on the abundance of fresh rubs, scrapes, prints & droppings. In general you want land with access to good bedding, food and water locations.

The closer you are to the access point, the more hunters you're likely to encounter. But the shorter distance to haul out the deer. Expect not to have the hunting area to yourself if it is public land. You may see hunters moving around or conducting a drive. Most hunters I know acknowledge other hunters in the woods with a slow wave - an "I see you" sort of thing.

I don't use a treestand. I usually sit against a good sized tree or rock and try to get 180 degree visibility if possible. I want to know where the other hunters are and I give them as much space as possible.

I don't use scent covers, but I do keep the wind to my face. I sit quietly and listen for rustling in the leaves. If it's raining or damp, you won't hear much. If I do walk around, I go very slowly and stop frequently to listen.

Learn how to field dress a deer if you don't know how already, and bring a kit/tools to do so. A 10' hank of rope is helpful for getting your deer out.

Most folks I know these days shoot slugs only during shotgun. In MA you can use buckshot, but the theory is you only have one projectile to worry about. It's a personal preference.

Most of my shots have been 50 yards or less. I use a smoothbore with foster slugs.

If you're hunting alone, leave a note detailing your planned hunt location and return time, just in case. Carry a cell phone, map. compass, etc.

Last edited:
All excellent information. I was going to use my Remington 870 rifled barrel with Sabot slugs. It sounds like a small pack is a good idea to bring. Kind of scares me with the ground blind so I think I will go without. I have a couple of maps of the WMA and recreation maps. I wil be scoping out otter river this month and will look into the Leominster State Forrest.

Good choice on the shotgun.

If you're not planning on processing the deer yourself, ask around for folks who will do it. Ask at gun shops or ask anyone involved in processing meat.

You should figure out where the local deer checking stations will be to check in your kill.

Last edited:
Ideally I would like to find a butcher if I am so luck as to bag a deer. I will not get my hopes up for the first time out... What is the recommendation for camo? Do you really need it with deer? Are my old military BDUs good enough?

Camo pattern isn't important. Dress for the weather. You're going to be wearing orange anyway.

I'd line up the butcher before you go out.

Cover scent was metioned and it is not that expensive to spray on.

There are some doe urine bottles you can get that attract curiousity in deer. Use early. Can still use later in the season when people also use rut ones. Place near where you are if you stay in one place.

In shotgun you need an orange hat and vest or jacket. I use an orange vest with camo or greenish jacket. Some don't bother with a vest and get orange jackets or jumpsuits for the colder weather.

Dana

Start local, town land, state land, or where you know isn't someone's property.

Field & Stream did an article recently about having a dog trained to find peoplle follow a guy after he used cover scent or not. Within couple hours the dog could find his scent.

Spray scent neutralizer as a minimum, use some cover scent as you go in and stop somehwere or when wind shifts. Can do a lot more, but that is a simple start. Some people wash their clothes, themselves in neutral cleaner, change toothpaste, etc.

Somehow have to manage the noise you make. Other than that, it is a bit late to do heavy scouting.

Dana

I'll take you hunting in uxbridge or Sudbury if you want. I have a good place to hunt in either spot. PM and we will get out. I have no problem brining new hunters out.

Still no butcher lined up. I am going out Hunting up in Maine to a friends hunting camp. Anybody recommend a butcher? Tips are still welcome.

Well the trip to Maine was fun but I did not get anything. Does antone know of any good places to try in Zone 9? I have an antler-less for zone 9.

Back
Top Bottom