New Ham Having Trouble

Maxpower

Banned
I recently took my ham test and picked up a handheld unit. It is a Wouxun KG-UVD1P (not the best, I know) rated at 4.5 - 5 watts depending on where you look up the information. I am trying to hit the repeater of the club that sponsored the test which is about 16 miles away. Listening on my scanner, I hear it key in but there is only static for as long as I hold down the PTT but my voice does not come through. It seems like my signal is somewhat hitting the repeater but my voice does not carry. If I change the PL on the radio it does not work at all so I think I have that right. Is there something else I am missing? Could it be the radio just can't make it that far on the stock antenna?

Not yet. I have heard myself on the scanner in that range though. I know that doesn't mean much but I am still learning.

First, congratulations on getting your license! Welcome to Amature Radio!

If the antenna you are using is a rubber duck, then 16 miles, from indoors is a stretch. Can you hear chatter on the local repeater?
If you can break the repeater's squelch then it does seem you are transmitting enough carrier, but no voice. If so, then I would suspect the radio. Unfortunately these modern radios are so complex that it may be just set to a funny mode.

Ebay. The guy I bought it from included a car adapter and an adapter to allow use of an antenna that attaches with a bnc connecter. It was also supposed to include a separate mic/speaker but it wasn't in the package. Seller told me its on the way. Seller was mega409shop. Paid 112.50.

Ebay. The guy I bought it from included a car adapter and an adapter to allow use of an antenna that attaches with abnc connecter. It was also supposed to include a separate mic/speaker but it wasn't in the package. Seller told me its on the way. Seller was mega409shop. Paid 112.50.

Thanks. It looks like a very capable radio and is getting rave reviews on E ham board. Need to get a couple before the price goes up.

Also, you will probably want the programming cable. I got mine from a separate auction as the ones I found that included it didn't have the other accessories that mega409shop had.

Thanks. It looks like a very capable radio and is getting rave reviews on E ham board. Need to get a couple before the price goes up.

Holmes, for a few dollars more you could get an icom or Yaesu hand held. Look at the icom T7H or some of the small 2 band Yaesus.

The two good things about duck antennas are their portability and tolerance to abuse.
Beyond those overwhelmingly good features, those antennas have a real reputation of being only marginally better than a dummy load.

I've gotten better results sticking a mag-mount car antenna onto a cookie sheet.

You can also build a J-pole antenna out of copper tubing (or an old 108" CB whip) and get some good results that way.

I recently took my ham test and picked up a handheld unit. It is a Wouxun KG-UVD1P (not the best, I know) rated at 4.5 - 5 watts depending on where you look up the information. I am trying to hit the repeater of the club that sponsored the test which is about 16 miles away. Listening on my scanner, I hear it key in but there is only static for as long as I hold down the PTT but my voice does not come through. It seems like my signal is somewhat hitting the repeater but my voice does not carry. If I change the PL on the radio it does not work at all so I think I have that right. Is there something else I am missing? Could it be the radio just can't make it that far on the stock antenna?

The radio is probably just fine. I have seen two of those units.

You should not be able to pass audio with any of the repeaters in the area with a handheld. The general quality of the repeaters in Metrowest and the west is subpar. The terrain is not a helping factor, either.

Only repeaters like Paxton have usable coverage in which two mobiles can generally be in range. Most of the other machines suffer from the Massachusetts malaise of poor clubs trying to hobknob a bad repeater at a bad location.

Back
Top Bottom