• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New guy looking for some advice on what gun to get. and 9mm to .22 conversions

I am looking to get a pistol and I am really liking some of the 9mm out there like the CZ 75b(Do they even sell these in MA?), 92fs, and SR9. However this will be my first gun and I really want to be able to shoot alot of rounds so I am most likely gonna end up getting a .22 because the ammo prices are half as much. Looking at the MarkIII or the 22a. Initially i didnt really like how the MarkIII looked but so many people stand by it as an amazing gun that i would be a fool not to consider it. and i really like the the Hunter and Competition Models with the 6 7/8" barrels. I checked out the Browning Buck mark and it just doesnt seem to as many people behind it as the MarkIII and 22a. Let me know if theres some other guns that i should be considering.

also

I would really love to get a 9mm and a .22 but i simply dont have the money to purchase two nice guns at this time. I saw something about a conversion kit for the CZ 75b to make it shoot .22 rounds but I cant find the site again. Are there any negative effects from doing this? Is it usually just cheaper to buy a new gun? How easy it it to switch back and forth if u have the kit?

Last edited:
If you can live with a Beretta they have a 22 conversion kit one made by Ceiner and one made by Beretta.. Glock also has conversion kits but they are scarer than hen's teeth. CZ can be had on a FTF basis but not through a dealer. If I were to buy a Ruger 22 it would be a MK II rather than the MK III much easier to disassemble. If you can remove the slide and barrel of your 9 mm you can put a conversion kit on the frame is 1 min or less.

Last edited:
... i really like the the Hunter model with the 6 7/8" slab side barrel........

also

I would really love to get a 9mm and a .22 but i simply dont have the money to purchase two nice guns at this time. I saw something about a conversion kit for the CZ 75b to make it shoot .22 rounds but I cant find the site again. Are there any negative effects from doing this? Is it usually just cheaper to buy a new gun? How easy it it to switch back and forth if u have the kit?

The Hunter 6 7/8" has a fluted barrel, not slab-sided.

Nitpickiness aside, a .22 conversion could be a great option, but have you shot any of the guns in question? No point shelling out the cash for the CZ + conversion if you're not even sure you'll like it. Seems to me the Kadet conversion kit costs as much as a MKIII (if not more), so why even bother?

If you want to shoot a lot of rounds get aMKIII. I just got one for my wife and now I want to run out and get one for myself. It is so much fun for so little money

I'm sure theres nothing wrong with it, but im not a fan of the idea of conversion kits. thats just me.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

The Hunter 6 7/8" has a fluted barrel, not slab-sided.

Nitpickiness aside, a .22 conversion could be a great option, but have you shot any of the guns in question? No point shelling out the cash for the CZ + conversion if you're not even sure you'll like it. Seems to me the Kadet conversion kit costs as much as a MKIII (if not more), so why even bother?

Ah yes sorry i meant the fluted barrel I mixed it up with this MarkIII.

Havent shot any of the guns yet. Havent even got my LTC yet but my interview is on tuesday and i am already a member at a local gun club so i am just going to see if i can get some ppl to let me take a few shots in the few weeks that I will be waiting to get it in the mail.

I spent a lot of time pondering the same, and then ordered the gun that I just HAD to have for my first gun. While it was on back order I bought 3 other guns. My priorities would start with a ccw, then something cheap to shoot. Also, don't shy away from used guns, there are plenty out there barely used and a lot cheaper than buying new! I don't have any personal experience with the .22lr conversions but I also see one in my future.

ETA: If your anything like me as soon as you buy your first gun you will already thinking about what to buy next. It is the beginning of a vicious addictive cycle. Good Luck!

Last edited:
I spent a lot of time pondering the same, and then ordered the gun that I just HAD to have for my first gun. While it was on back order I bought 3 other guns. My priorities would start with a ccw, then something cheap to shoot. Also, don't shy away from used guns, there are plenty out there barely used and a lot cheaper than buying new! I don't have any personal experience with the .22lr conversions but I also see one in my future.

What did you end up getting? I guess its good that you mentioned not to be scared of used guns. I kind of want to buy new just to be safe because I just dont want to buy a gun that the guy at the store says has 1000 rounds put through it when it really has 25000. But i guess if theres a real deal out there i would consider it.

About a year ago I got my LTC Class A and was in the market for my first firearm. My primary concern was a gun that would be suitable for home defense. I did a lot of research and looking and finally narrowed it down to a Glock 17 or a Beretta 92. In the end, I went with the Beretta and never looked back. When I got it to the range it was a big hit, everyone liked shooting it and I have never had an issue with it. You can't go wrong with it, in my opinion.

There ain't no shame in owning a .22 that's for sure! I'd rather go shooting with someone proficient with a .22 then someone spraying higher cal rounds all over the place.

I'm with you on the MarkIII, sure is fugly to me but all the ones I've shot were comfortable to handle and damn good at shooting, you can't argue with that.

The CZ-75B is one of my favorite guns. Love that pistol. The .22 conversion kit is called the Kadet conversion kit. It is da bomb and amazingly accurate. You can't go wrong with this combo.

Sadly they are hard to find in MA. They are not illegal at all... I own one. It has to do with approved firearms lists and such here in MA that hamstring us. They certainly do show up for sale from time to time. Just gotta keep your eyes open. The Kadet kit is not a "firearm" and thus can be bought very easily. The Kadet kit is a slide/barrel and magazine, so you can purchase that without any issues at all.

I invited Mike out to my range Sat and brought several of the pistols that he was interested in and he seemed to enjoy himself. I brought 2 92s,a Ruger MK II with a red dot and my trusty S&W 625.
We talked for awhile and shot all the pistols and I think he's got it down to a Ruger MK II or III and a Bertta 92.

I invited Mike out to my range Sat and brought several of the pistols that he was interested in and he seemed to enjoy himself. I brought 2 92s,a Ruger MK II with a red dot and my trusty S&W 625.
We talked for awhile and shot all the pistols and I think he's got it down to a Ruger MK II or III and a Bertta 92.

Yeah thanks again for that highlander you definately helped me get to where i am in the decision making process. Its going to come down to me buying a 9mm and a .22. For some reason a few years back the .22 conversion kits for the beretta and the cz were around $250 now they are around $400 and I could easily just get a Mark II or III for that price.

I am also in trying out the CZ 75 and the M&P because I have only heard good things about them.

Last edited:
Ciener kits for the Beretta 92 are $199 from Midway. I have one and it is 100% reliable with Federal bulk pack ammo from Walmart. I love my Ruger Mk II but it doesn't help with the DA/SA transition like the Ciener kit does. If you're looking at the Beretta the Ciener kit is a great addition.

Ciener kits for the Beretta 92 are $199 from Midway. I have one and it is 100% reliable with Federal bulk pack ammo from Walmart. I love my Ruger Mk II but it doesn't help with the DA/SA transition like the Ciener kit does. If you're looking at the Beretta the Ciener kit is a great addition.

Thanks for the input. Ill definately check that out and consider it.

Back
Top Bottom