new gun, some questions?

I recently picked up a 4" S&W 1911PD. I have a couple questions.

1. How hard is it to change the safety to ambi if I desire to do it myself? Are there any good links out there for some info on how to do this?

2. Has anybody that owns an S&W 1911 had any problems with the ACT-MAG magazines that were included? When I loaded one and tried to rack one in the chamber, it went in, but felt like the first time I shoot I will have some FTF problems. Felt like it was catching on the next round beneath the one that was being chambered. And yes I was using dummy rounds, LOL.

Thanks for any help.

A new safety will need to be fitted by a gunsmith

The mag problem may be because of the dummy rounds, see what happens at the range, they sometimes need 200 rounds to break in

I have the 1911SC which was the predecessor to the PD and I like mine quite a bit. I think you will be happy with yours.

1. Depending upon how mechanically inclined you are it should be just as easy/difficult as doing this on the standard 1911A1. I would probably leave this job to a professional myself but your skills may be better than mine.

2. I have shot quite a bit out of both styles of magazines, the Wilson and the ACT. I've not had any problem with either with FMJ, Federal HS, or Winchester Silvertip. I have also used some Chip McCormick SS 8-round magazines with good results.

03roushs1 said:
I recently picked up a 4" S&W 1911PD. I have a couple questions.

1. How hard is it to change the safety to ambi if I desire to do it myself? Are there any good links out there for some info on how to do this?

2. Has anybody that owns an S&W 1911 had any problems with the ACT-MAG magazines that were included? When I loaded one and tried to rack one in the chamber, it went in, but felt like the first time I shoot I will have some FTF problems. Felt like it was catching on the next round beneath the one that was being chambered. And yes I was using dummy rounds, LOL.

Thanks for any help.

As far as changing to an ambi safety, I let my gunsmith, Greg Derr, handle that. You'll need a set of replacement grips, because I don't think the stock S&W grips are relief cut on the right-hand side. Personally, I am fond of the Wilson Combat slimline grips.

For mags, I exclusively use Wilson mags. I like the 8 round 47D version. Reliable, robust, and handsome. Can't beat 'em!

My new 4.25 in SC (predecessor of the PD) works great with the ACT and McCormick mags. I've tried about 200 rounds of a mix of brands and types of ammo without one failure or any kind. You're gonna love it.

1911sc1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom