• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Folks Check In and Say Hi #4

Hi All. New to this forum, and gun ownership. I have a HK45C so far, but now looking for a 22 rifle or something to target shoot with the kids. Looking forward to growing my collection! Just need to buy a rifle safe now…
Welcome. I am a firm believer of bolt action 22s for learning rifle skills. The act of working a bolt makes the shooter slow down and place each shot.
That being said, i have numerous auto 22s, pump action 22s and lever 22s. Plus the revolver 22s which are my favorite for pistol work.
No matter your choice, be safe and have fun!

Hi all. In the Berkshires. Moved up here recently and between the rushed move and not having enough time to read up on MA laws (some obliviousness mixed in) and also not wanting to break any laws, I got rid of my guns. I know, dumb move. But now I'm here to learn more and to try and build back my collection... which has been harder than I would have thought, like: I can possess a Glock but dealers can't sell me one?? And next to no dealers want to touch AR parts...

Hi all. In the Berkshires. Moved up here recently and between the rushed move and not having enough time to read up on MA laws (some obliviousness mixed in) and also not wanting to break any laws, I got rid of my guns. I know, dumb move. But now I'm here to learn more and to try and build back my collection... which has been harder than I would have thought, like: I can possess a Glock but dealers can't sell me one?? And next to no dealers want to touch AR parts...
Welcome. I hope you didn't sell anything really nice.

Hi.

Welcome to NES and the Berkshires. Not many of us on here. There are quite a few clubs and some really nice people at them. There are a few private ranges, too that reach out to 600 yards.
I'm located in the southern side of the county.

Hi all, moved up from NC about 8 years ago but only got my LTC in February as I was a non mass resident until last year. I kept my firearms with friends in NC until the LTC arrived. I have since brought them up. I recently completed my first complete AR build as well. Visited the Mill for the first time last month to pick up some parts and was blown away. Anyone else here in Cambridge? I'd guess there's not many of us.

Also, general noob question- are there any public ranges within 30-45 minutes of the Boston area that allow .223 or 5.56? I've got this shiny new AR and haven't even been able to zero it yet. I'm a member at MFS but they're a pistol caliber only range. Also, any decent clubs around with open membership spots?

Hi all, moved up from NC about 8 years ago but only got my LTC in February as I was a non mass resident until last year. I kept my firearms with friends in NC until the LTC arrived. I have since brought them up. I recently completed my first complete AR build as well. Visited the Mill for the first time last month to pick up some parts and was blown away. Anyone else here in Cambridge? I'd guess there's not many of us.

Also, general noob question- are there any public ranges within 30-45 minutes of the Boston area that allow .223 or 5.56? I've got this shiny new AR and haven't even been able to zero it yet. I'm a member at MFS but they're a pistol caliber only range. Also, any decent clubs around with open membership spots?

Welcome to NES. I spent 7 years down in NC in the Fayetteville area. Between the two...I'd rather be in Texas. But maybe that's just me.

BTW, don't let the "newbie hazing " (if you receive any) get to you. Just throw it back and in no time at all you'll be an old hand here.

Welcome to NES. I spent 7 years down in NC in the Fayetteville area. Between the two...I'd rather be in Texas. But maybe that's just me.

BTW, don't let the "newbie hazing " (if you receive any) get to you. Just throw it back and in no time at all you'll be an old hand here.
I might not be able to handle insults from strangers on the internet, living in Cambridge will have that affect on ya. [smile]

Anyways, good to be here. [cheers]

Hi

Not public, but Braintree Rifle is likely closest with open membership spots. Can be a bit douchey with the fudds overseeing the outdoor ranges. Just ignore them when they say crap that isn't in the membership manual and if they insist hand them the book and ask them where it says that.

Hi, I'm new to the forum and appreciate joining. I'm a big fan of Sig's pistols, and am learning shotguns as well. Home base is Milwaukee, WI, though I spend years living in Westborough, MA - including in 2001 when the Patriots won the first Brady/Belichick Super Bowl, and 2004 when the Red Sox won it all after that amazing ALCS. Kids and I are Boston fans ever since. (of course, living in WI means rooting for the Packers as well...it's required to get a drivers license here ;)).

Look forward to meeting folks here, and appreciate the community!

Last edited:
Hi, I'm new to the forum and appreciate joining. I'm a big fan of Sig's pistols, and am learning shotguns as well. Home base is Milwaukee, WI, though I spend years living in Westborough, MA - including in 2001 when the Patriots won the first Brady/Belichick Super Bowl, and 2004 when the Red Sox won it all after that amazing ALCS. Kids and I are Boston fans ever since. (of course, living in WI means rooting for the Packers as well...it's required to get a drivers license here ;)).

Look forward to meeting folks here, and appreciate the community!
Nice! Welcome to the forum!

Not exactly new .

Would you believe first time back since 2011 ? Or at least that shows as my previous post here .

Was googling something , and NES showed up . I tried my default log in , and still works ! So I'll look around again , maybe comment as appropriate .

Not exactly new .

Would you believe first time back since 2011 ? Or at least that shows as my previous post here .

Was googling something , and NES showed up . I tried my default log in , and still works ! So I'll look around again , maybe comment as appropriate .
What's 11 years among friends?

Not exactly new .

Hi.

Thanks for letting me in. Little about me from the Midwest originally. First gun I hunted with was 30-30 Marlin. First gun I bought Remington 700 in 7mm mag around 1993, first handgun .357 stainless Taurus I believe.
In college, got poor, started pawning guns and things., Dad got wind I was selling and bought my 700 for more than it was worth. When he died a little over a decade ago, I was given the 7mm mag back, which then helped reignite my love of guns.

Since I now had a little more money, I started chasing my bucket list weapons. Bought my 44 mag desert eagle a few years ago, managed to acquire my contender... Then another and another and another and barrels custom stocks, favorite contender barrel 454 casull, custom by David Van Horn.

Rifles, built my dream AR. Always liked the weathered look, so I built this.

IMG_20221008_102849432_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221008_102553214_HDR-2-scaled.jpg

Love shooting, but love being a dad showing my kids the way of the gun, more. Bought a case of binary magnums for 22s and took my kids out last year shooting. I loved watching their excitement and frustration when the could not hit the targets and earn the explosion. I loved how it allowed me to instruct the kids, they really really focused on the techniques knowing the reward was an explosion at the end of the shot. My son's favorite gun is the keltec crm30.

Love it when I ask my kid, what's the first thing you do when you get near a gun, and his snap back response... Make sure I have permission, second Make sure it's pointed in a safe direction when I pick it up, third find out if it's safe, as he removes the mags and tacks the action to clear it... He's 8...

I love that!

So, in short... New to the hobby

Thanks for letting me in. Little about me from the Midwest originally. First gun I hunted with was 30-30 Marlin. First gun I bought Remington 700 in 7mm mag around 1993, first handgun .357 stainless Taurus I believe.
In college, got poor, started pawning guns and things., Dad got wind I was selling and bought my 700 for more than it was worth. When he died a little over a decade ago, I was given the 7mm mag back, which then helped reignite my love of guns.

Since I now had a little more money, I started chasing my bucket list weapons. Bought my 44 mag desert eagle a few years ago, managed to acquire my contender... Then another and another and another and barrels custom stocks, favorite contender barrel 454 casull, custom by David Van Horn.

Rifles, built my dream AR. Always liked the weathered look, so I built this.

IMG_20221008_102849432_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221008_102553214_HDR-2-scaled.jpg

Love shooting, but love being a dad showing my kids the way of the gun, more. Bought a case of binary magnums for 22s and took my kids out last year shooting. I loved watching their excitement and frustration when the could not hit the targets and earn the explosion. I loved how it allowed me to instruct the kids, they really really focused on the techniques knowing the reward was an explosion at the end of the shot. My son's favorite gun is the keltec crm30.

Love it when I ask my kid, what's the first thing you do when you get near a gun, and his snap back response... Make sure I have permission, second Make sure it's pointed in a safe direction when I pick it up, third find out if it's safe, as he removes the mags and tacks the action to clear it... He's 8...

I love that!

So, in short... New to the hobby
Good work!

Just stopping in to say hello. Grew up in Billerica and currently living in Chelmsford. Quite new to the world of firearm ownership -- received my LTC a little over a month ago. It's been a lot of fun shopping for new toys and trying them wherever I can find a place to shoot. Learning out how awfully expensive and addictive this hobby can be. 😅

Have an application in at Andover Sportsmen's Club and should be voted in mid-November. I don't know anyone there, so, I would love to make some new friends and have someone to show me the ropes. I've damn near forgotten how to socialize with humans after almost 3 years of working from home.

Back
Top Bottom