New Folks Check In and Say Hi #4

Hello everyone,
I just joined the forum and I'm excited to be part of the NES family. I currently live in Stoughton, MA where I just received my LTC with no restrictions. The process of applying was rather painless, aside from all the paperwork. I'm very much a newb when it comes to firearms (this is where you all come in [smile]) and I'm currently looking for a used revolver for home defense. I know HD is a hot topic but feel that a revolver is the safest way to go, particularly for my wife who has little experience with a gun. Anyhow, I look forward to speaking with many of you and I thank you in advance for all your help.

Go Bruins!

Welcome aboard. If the wife is going to handle the guns too it is prudent that she also get her LTC just to be on the safe side should something unforeseen happen. Better to be safe.

Welcome and best of luck to you.

2nd the rec that your wife get her LTC as well.

Welcome to NES, Faria! As others have suggested, if your wife doesn't already have an LTC, she should definitely look into one. I began my journey in the firearms by going to an all women's shoot, hosted at Mass Rifle Assocation in Woburn. My friend is a volunteer instructor there every year. There may be another one closer to you if your wife is interested. Either way... they're fun. I've been to it several times now. You pay $30 or $40 or whatever and you start shooting in the morning, get free lunch, and then an afternoon of shooting. I shot various calibers... ranging from air rifles, .22, 9mm, .375, 556, 20g, 12g, etc. ...and even black powder. If you want more info, please feel free to contact me about it [mg]

Hello everyone,
I just joined the forum and I'm excited to be part of the NES family. I currently live in Stoughton, MA where I just received my LTC with no restrictions. The process of applying was rather painless, aside from all the paperwork. I'm very much a newb when it comes to firearms (this is where you all come in [smile]) and I'm currently looking for a used revolver for home defense. I know HD is a hot topic but feel that a revolver is the safest way to go, particularly for my wife who has little experience with a gun. Anyhow, I look forward to speaking with many of you and I thank you in advance for all your help.

Go Bruins!
Welcome to the board. There are a bunch of us on the South shore. Go Pats!

I think the manual of arms for a modern striker fired semi auto pistol is slightly simpler than that for a revolver, but opinions vary.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Welcome to NES, Faria! As others have suggested, if your wife doesn't already have an LTC, she should definitely look into one. I began my journey in the firearms by going to an all women's shoot, hosted at Mass Rifle Assocation in Woburn. My friend is a volunteer instructor there every year. There may be another one closer to you if your wife is interested. Either way... they're fun. I've been to it several times now. You pay $30 or $40 or whatever and you start shooting in the morning, get free lunch, and then an afternoon of shooting. I shot various calibers... ranging from air rifles, .22, 9mm, .375, 556, 20g, 12g, etc. ...and even black powder. If you want more info, please feel free to contact me about it [mg]

Totally agree! My wife joined me in the safety training course, which included a live fire round after the class. We went to Mass Firearms School in Holliston and really enjoyed it. I'm looking into taking another course or two there with the wife.

She's been hesitant to apply for her LTC...until now! I just told her that everyone on the forum suggested that she gets her license and she agreed to schedule an interview with our licensing officer. See! You've all been a great help already!!

just joined here also still waiting on my LTC my girlfriend received hers in 4 1/2 weeks from westfield we both took the class at the same time but I'm still waiting I applied through Agawam and its been just shy of 3 months we have both shot in the past. I have personal and military experience she has just personal experience she is getting twitchy wanting to go shopping but wants to wait for me to get mine so we can go together. So till then its just playing the waiting game. Not sure why they are taking so long its well past the 40 day period...

just joined here also still waiting on my LTC my girlfriend received hers in 4 1/2 weeks from westfield we both took the class at the same time but I'm still waiting I applied through Agawam and its been just shy of 3 months we have both shot in the past. I have personal and military experience she has just personal experience she is getting twitchy wanting to go shopping but wants to wait for me to get mine so we can go together. So till then its just playing the waiting game. Not sure why they are taking so long its well past the 40 day period...

Hello, BBrr. Welcome to NES! Congrats to your gf on receiving hers in a timely manner. Hope yours will come in soon! You can use the time to do some online research on what your first purchase will be and all the confusing laws [smile] Enjoy! See you around the forum [mg]

Thank you mininijer...Oh I have been going through looking online youtube, google talking with friends that own guns and are active shooters and owners pros cons ups downs and trying to look up a bunch of information for the both of us on both guns and the laws

Congrats to her, hope yours is imminent. In the mean time, might be fun for the two of you to head to the range, rent some guns and see what fits your hand and what you like best. As much as feedback from others helps, I found that a lot of what people love just did not work for me.

This also may allow you (depending on where you go) to try out some non-mass compliant guns. While this may be a tease (like the Walther PPQ I covet but is hard to find in Mass) it does help if you find one you really like and then hunt down for a FTF off of here or some other places.

Granite State in Hudson NH is great for this. They rent their guns by the caliber.... so if you want to try out 9mms for example, you can keep swapping out different ones and really get a feel for many guns all for the same $15.

long time fringe user, finally went green....

would like to thank all on this forum for a great resource

pop goes the cherry....

long time fringe user, finally went green....

would like to thank all on this forum for a great resource

pop goes the cherry....

Hey Ugly [smile] Welcome to NES as a green member! Thank you for deciding to support this community. Looking forward to you joining in on the discussions. Pop, pop, pop! Cheers [mg]

Totally agree! My wife joined me in the safety training course, which included a live fire round after the class. We went to Mass Firearms School in Holliston and really enjoyed it. I'm looking into taking another course or two there with the wife.

She's been hesitant to apply for her LTC...until now! I just told her that everyone on the forum suggested that she gets her license and she agreed to schedule an interview with our licensing officer. See! You've all been a great help already!!

Welcome and enjoy the site!

Hi everyone,

My name is Bruce. I live in Tewksbury and I just picked up my unrestricted LTC yesterday. I was in the USMC for 5 years and shot Export Pistol and Rifle. I found NES on a search engine when I was looking up the process for getting my LTC. Thanks for all the great advice and I hope I can contribute what little bit I know.

Hi everyone,

My name is Bruce. I live in Tewksbury and I just picked up my unrestricted LTC yesterday. I was in the USMC for 5 years and shot Export Pistol and Rifle. I found NES on a search engine when I was looking up the process for getting my LTC. Thanks for all the great advice and I hope I can contribute what little bit I know.

Hello Bruce, welcome to NES. Thank you for your service. Congrats on getting your LTC, hopefully the process wasn't super painful as it was/is for some of us. No worries of the 'little bit you know', you'll learn as you go, as the rest of us has. Looking forward to you joining in on the discussions. Also, consider becoming a green (paid) member of the forum at some point. You'll get to support a great community (that you'll get to know and probably love [wink]), not to mention the member shoots, giveaways, meet ups, and member only threads. Cheers [mg]

-Cindy

Hello Bruce, welcome to NES. Thank you for your service. Congrats on getting your LTC, hopefully the process wasn't super painful as it was/is for some of us. No worries of the 'little bit you know', you'll learn as you go, as the rest of us has. Looking forward to you joining in on the discussions. Also, consider becoming a green (paid) member of the forum at some point. You'll get to support a great community (that you'll get to know and probably love [wink]), not to mention the member shoots, giveaways, meet ups, and member only threads. Cheers [mg]

-Cindy

Thank you, Cindy! It was my pleasure to serve. But unfortunately, it was kinda painful getting my LTC. I don't want to bad mouth anyone or put my foot in my mouth, but the wait was looong.

Can't wait to learn more here and at the range.

Hello everyone, I am new to NES and live in south-central "The Peoples Republic of Massachusetts". I've been involved with shooting/hunting most of my life and am a huge Second Amendment advocate. I'm planning go Go Green soon.

Hello everyone, I am new to NES and live in south-central "The Peoples Republic of Massachusetts". I've been involved with shooting/hunting most of my life and am a huge Second Amendment advocate. I'm planning go Go Green soon.

Hello, mass_patriot1994 [wave] Happy to hear you've been shooting for a long time and are an advocate of one of our biggest rights we have. Once you go green, you'll get to enjoy the awesome things like giveaways, member shoots, and meet ups (and there is one coming up on Sat that I'm organizing [wink]). See you around! Cheers [mg]

I am an east cost (NY) transplant loving life in Colorado. Growing up I shot shotguns, skeet sporting clays etc. Rifles and pistols are illegal in NYC Moved to CO 4 years ago. As soon as I got my CO drivers License I went to the gun shop and picked up an AR-15. Have not managed to stop since then!

Long range shooting is my most recent passion. I joined a rifle club out in the middle of nowhere Eastern CO. There we have a 1000 yard range. Steel 20" to 4" in size, every 100 yards from 400-1000. My shooting buddy and I head out there every weekend and work on our skills. We both shoot 6.5 Creedmoor. My LR gun is a Savage 10, his is a Ruger Precision Rifle. Great sport, really enjoy long range shooting. Just wish the ammo was not so $$$. I have no space to reload so stuck shooting factory.

Currently I have:
1-My long range 6.5 Creedmoor:
Savage 10 in XLR Chassis with XTR II 4-20x50 scope

2) AR-15 Lower with PRS stock and SSA-E trigger I run with:
- 20" 6.5 Grendel 20' Custom Upper
- 18" 223 Wylde PSA Upper

3) AR-15, 223 wylde, 16" barrel, lightweight custom build. MRO Red dot.

4) Canik TP9SF (P999mm pistol w/ vortex Viper red dot.

Hi DenverDave

Welcome to the site. Jealous on the 6.5 Creedmoor. I went Savage 10 BA Stealth in .308 just because I really don't expect the open spaces to really go much past 300 or 400.

Hi DenverDave

Welcome to the site. Jealous on the 6.5 Creedmoor. I went Savage 10 BA Stealth in .308 just because I really don't expect the open spaces to really go much past 300 or 400.

Well if it's any consolation I wish I had picked up a Stealth. They had not come out yet when I got my model 10. It's a Model 10T- a Cabellas Exclusive. Heavy barrel, tactical bolt knob, pic rail base. Came with an AccuStock which I hated and replaced with a chassis in short order.

Good news is you can always rebarrel to a 6.5 Creedmoor. Same 308 SA, bolt face, mags etc.

Hi everyone, I just wanted to stop in and introduce myself. My name's Jon and I'm a Cape Cod native, living in Mashpee. Growing up I used to shoot pretty often with my father and with the scout troop I was in and loved every minute of it. Took a decade off through my 20's and recently developed a renewed interest in the hobby. I applied for my LTC back in mid-October so now I'm just trying to soak up as much info as I can while I deal with the excruciating wait.

Although my firearms knowledge at this point is minimal, I hope to be a helpful and contributing member of this great community in any way I can. Thanks for having me!

Hi everyone, I just wanted to stop in and introduce myself. My name's Jon and I'm a Cape Cod native, living in Mashpee. Growing up I used to shoot pretty often with my father and with the scout troop I was in and loved every minute of it. Took a decade off through my 20's and recently developed a renewed interest in the hobby. I applied for my LTC back in mid-October so now I'm just trying to soak up as much info as I can while I deal with the excruciating wait.

Although my firearms knowledge at this point is minimal, I hope to be a helpful and contributing member of this great community in any way I can. Thanks for having me!

Hi, Jonny [wave] Welcome to NES. Glad to have you on board. Hope you'll receive your LTC sooner rather than later. I'll assume you'll also be in search of a first purchase soon after you get your LTC... that should be fun [smile] Consider becoming a green paid member at some point. You'll get to participate in free giveaways, shoots, meet ups, and members only threads. You'll also be supporting a great community. See you around, cheers [mg]

Hi, Jonny [wave] Welcome to NES. Glad to have you on board. Hope you'll receive your LTC sooner rather than later. I'll assume you'll also be in search of a first purchase soon after you get your LTC... that should be fun [smile] Consider becoming a green paid member at some point. You'll get to participate in free giveaways, shoots, meet ups, and members only threads. You'll also be supporting a great community. See you around, cheers [mg]
Thanks Mini! I hope to receive it sooner rather than later as well! I wish I'd had the foresight to do it a few months sooner so I could of potentially made shotgun season here in MA, but patience is a virtue, and it'll give me more time to get ready for next year. The lady I dealt with was incredibly nice and more than willing to answer all of my questions and concerns. I felt she truly wants to help the people of our town become licensed and stands behind that right firmly, a trait that seems to be lacking in many LO's in the state. I will most definitely be on the lookout for some new concealed carry weapons when I get the OK, and have been doing my diligent research on what those may be. I'm holding off on visiting shops until I have license in hand as I don't want to give them the feeling I might be wasting their time, and I know quite a few won't even let you hold a gun without proper licensing.
I'm looking at going green for sure (don't often get the chance to say that!) and once I get through the hustle and bustle of the holidays, hope to quickly repay NES and support it going forward for all the knowledge it's members have given me!

Thank you for the kind welcome!

Last edited:
Thanks Mini! I hope to receive it sooner rather than later as well! I wish I'd had the foresight to do it a few months sooner so I could of potentially made shotgun season here in MA, but patience is a virtue, and it'll give me more time to get ready for next year. The lady I dealt with was an absolute sweetheart and more than willing to answer all of my questions and concerns. I felt she truly wants to help the people of our town become licensed and stands behind that right firmly, a trait that seems to be lacking in many LO's in the state. I will most definitely be on the lookout for some new concealed carry weapons when I get the OK, and have been doing my diligent research on what those may be. I'm holding off on visiting shops until I have license in hand as I don't want to give them the feeling I might be wasting their time, and I know quite a few won't even let you hold a gun without proper licensing.
I'm looking at going green for sure (don't often get the chance to say that!) and once I get through the hustle and bustle of the holidays, hope to quickly repay NES and support it going forward for all the knowledge it's members have given me!

Thank you for the kind welcome!

You're welcome, Jonny. That's ok - you'll just have a bit more time to get ready... learning all the whacky laws and finding what your first purchase will be. Glad to hear that the licensing officer you had was a nice one. That definitely cannot be said by everyone, unfortunately. Happy Thanksgiving. See ya [grin]

Hi I just joined yesterday been shooting since a teenager they call me pinky I am a marine vet I have been lurking fora while decided to join than you.

Hi, Stockhood. Welcome to NES! I'm wondering why they call you pinky [laugh] Thank you for your service. I hope you enjoy this community as much as I have. Perhaps you'll consider becoming a green member at some point. You'll be supporting this great community (that you'll soon get to know) and it gives you access to free giveaways, member only shoots, meet ups, and discussions. See you around on the forum and Happy Thanksgiving. Cheers! [mg]

Back
Top Bottom