New FID price change for minors

Mark from MA

NES Member
I know there was a bill passed recently to lower the cost of an FID for minors. I want my kid to get one but it looks like the PD is still charging 100 bucks. Anyone know when this will go into effect?

I know there was a bill passed recently to lower the cost of an FID for minors. I want my kid to get one but it looks like the PD is still charging 100 bucks. Anyone know when this will go into effect?

FID-Fee-Change-Effective-7-12-11-for-Minors

SECTION 93. Section 129B of chapter 140 of the General Laws is hereby amended by inserting after clause (9B), as so appearing, the following clause:-

(9C) Except as provided in clause (9B), the fee for an application for a firearm identification card for any person under the age of 18 shall be $25, which shall be payable to the licensing authority and shall not be prorated or refunded in the case of revocation or denial. The licensing authority shall retain 50 per cent of the fee and the remaining portion shall be deposited into the General Fund. Notwithstanding any general or special law to the contrary, licensing authorities shall deposit quarterly that portion of the firearm identification card application fee which is to be deposited into the General Fund, not later than January 1, April 1, July 1 and October
1 of each year

Thanks guys. It's possible the application was old maybe the pd knows the change in price.

At least I can have a reference now in case.

Called the pd. they are onboard with the change. My kid is the first since the change and their paperwork was old. I also sent a note to my rep thanking her for her work on the law change.

Already in effect. I paid 25 dollars. I paid the fee the day before I turned 18. [wink]

Now, that woudl be interesting, to see if the local watchdogs would "take the case" - when GOAL notified the AG that several cities/towns were charging more than $100 for an LTC (Cambridge for one) the AG said, "You're right, tell them to stop, we're not going to do anything or require refunds."

[rolleyes]

Maybe a Crusading Reporter can do the AG's job!

Now, that would be interesting, to see if the local watchdogs would "take the case" - when GOAL notified the AG that several cities/towns were charging more than $100 for an LTC (Cambridge for one) the AG said, "You're right, tell them to stop, we're not going to do anything or require refunds."

[rolleyes]

Maybe a Crusading Reporter can do the AG's job!

I think that was the IG, not the AG. Otherwise you are right as to the results.

I know that there were PDs charging >70 yos the $100 for LTC renewals even though the law says that they are Free if 70 or older on a renewal.

Cities/towns do NOT give rebates when they overcharge. The hassle to get that money back would cost the person more than they are due in blood, sweat and tears plus time off from work to fight them. And if they are reporting it correctly to the state, the city/town gets to pocket $87.50 instead of $12.50 that they are entitled to (for juniors or $100.00 for seniors), so it becomes a profit center. [frown]

Back
Top Bottom