New England Westinghouse Mosin Nagant

I walked into one of my favorite gun stores the other day, and the owner mentioned to me that he was getting in a N.E.W. Mosin. I asked if it was in 30-06, and he said nope. He said he'd have it the next day and to call him then. So I did, and the asking price? $150.

Granted, she's been beat, dinged, and from the looks of it probably buried at one point, but it'll be worth the cleaning if it means getting this old warhorse working. The pics are as good as I could get them. Note: The bolt has the Tula star and is not matching.

QtPE50w.jpg
WcV5zFg.jpg
XOyXMiC.jpg
4M5YsJ0.jpg
0YYRAmY.jpg
ftt58He.jpg

Nice find. Are you going to be able to put it down long enough to get some sleep tonight? I am not sure I would be able to.

Last edited:
There's a few "B" markings on the barrel/receiver, along with a few "A"s, and a helping of circled 2's. There's also the US flaming bomb on the left side of the barrel, and the US "Y2" marking. However, the entirety of the bolt itself is from the Tula arsenal.

I recognize the Tula stars on the bolt, and the US markings, but have been combing through the 7.62x54r website for the appropriate A, B/circled B, and circled 2 stamps with no luck. Can anybody help me out?

Edit:
Forgot to post this one.
kufHVfo.jpg

Last edited:
I have firefox, and only the labels appear.

OK, you have to click the label. Never seen that feature before.

T

Late one, probably not initially delivered to Russia before the collapse in '17, but got there in the end. Russian stock? The detractors you mentioned aren't flaws, they are character.

Got mine last year; much earlier SN, 651K, from the Chicopee Falls Hill Plant (H) on tang. The Finns eventually got their hands on it and restocked it - still has the Finn copper shims. Dialed right in from the first shot. Bolt matches, but is Izzy. SA marked leather sling. Bore is counter bored 1cm.

T.

Last edited:
Bobs in Salisbury has a Westinghouse....1915. Good shape but the asking price is $400.

What's a good price for one ? I know the Remington models are high.

Tough to say on a Westinghouse for me anyway. I'm kicking myself for not checking out all the serial numbers......I was in a hurry but saw it and had to take a look. Me personally.......if all the numbers matched......with the overall condition it was in being good......if I had the scratch I'd offer the shop $350 and then spilt the difference and see if it would follow me home for $375. But the numbers would have to match for me to go that high......like I said I was in a hurry.

And to add:

Please keep this one just as you found it. It has some BIG mysterious history to it. One day, we may find out how a US designated rifle made it into the Balkan Region during the inter-war period, and a specimen like this will become a history class unto itself.

You did REAL well. Congrats.

The following is the related Gunboards thread, and the discussion which ensued:

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?341635-US-NEW-That-Got-Away

What is the mark on the tang? Westinghouse had three production facilities; one being the (H) Hill Plant in Chicopee Falls. Price was very good as well.

T.

Mine looks to be very similar. The tang stamping is an "E", and there are no import marks on her. The barrel bands have the pre-1928 Ishvesk stamp on them. Serial number is 1,354,XXX. There has been grinding for a small notch where the rear sight post rests, but no shim. Haven't been able to find any markings on the stock or the leather sling, other than the fact it's been beat pretty good and definitely shot a good bit. I cleaned her up, but will do no permanent alterations. I'll catalogue all the stamps and proofs and upload them to your thread in the near future.

That is a nice find,my rifle looks like someone went stamp happy.

Attachments

• DSCN2389.jpg
    DSCN2389.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCN2391.jpg
    DSCN2391.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 29
The three N.E.W. tang marks: E, H, or M with an arrow to the left side.

E = East Springfield Mass.
H = Chicopee Falls Mass. Hill Plant
M = Meriden, CT plant.

T

I walked into one of my favorite gun stores the other day, and the owner mentioned to me that he was getting in a N.E.W. Mosin. I asked if it was in 30-06, and he said nope. He said he'd have it the next day and to call him then. So I did, and the asking price? $150.

Granted, she's been beat, dinged, and from the looks of it probably buried at one point, but it'll be worth the cleaning if it means getting this old warhorse working. The pics are as good as I could get them. Note: The bolt has the Tula star and is not matching.

QtPE50w.jpg
WcV5zFg.jpg
XOyXMiC.jpg
4M5YsJ0.jpg
0YYRAmY.jpg
ftt58He.jpg

Wow, That is not your average NEW nagant. You did very well for 150 ( or double that ). Don't do any cleaning or touching up, that's a collectible

I more or less wiped off dust and made sure it wasn't going to rust away on me by inspecting the parts, which were all in heavily used but decent shape. There won't be any "touching up" on this old girl, just making sure she stays in the same shape I got her in.

Back
Top Bottom