New Dillon....Lovin' It

Got my new 550b in on Tuesday. Finally got it setup and cranking out ammo tonight. I pumped out about 300rds of 9mm in an hour and a half or so. I
was taking my time for the most part, checking alot of charge weights.

I am extremely happy with my new press. I am glad that I upgraded from my loadmaster. Highly recommended to anyone.

Steve

I gotta get into reloading

wish i knew where to start

im sure there is a thread somewhere

I beleive that KTP runs a basic reloading course every once in awhile. Might want to look into that too.

I gotta get into reloading

wish i knew where to start

im sure there is a thread somewhere

Pick up a book. I would recommend the ABC's of Reloading or even better; Lyman's 49th Edition reloading manual. Packed with excellent information. Got me going very quickly.

Got my new 550b in on Tuesday. Finally got it setup and cranking out ammo tonight. I pumped out about 300rds of 9mm in an hour and a half or so. I

I am extremely happy with my new press. I am glad that I upgraded from my loadmaster. Highly recommended to anyone.

Steve

If you don't have a "Strong Mount" I would recommend one.

I got mine (550b) a week ago. I love it too, I'm still working up a 9mm load that my M&P likes. Have you reloaded before? If not you may have wanted to test some of those loads before you made 300 of them.

I have been very pleased with my Dillon - you should not be disappointed. Enjoy the newest part to your hoppy. Be safe!

I got mine (550b) a week ago. I love it too, I'm still working up a 9mm load that my M&P likes. Have you reloaded before? If not you may have wanted to test some of those loads before you made 300 of them.

I have been loading for about a year and a half now.
I had a lee loadmaster progressive, but just sold it to fellow green NES'er N1HEU last weekend.

I am running 5.6gr of Alliant Power Pistol under a 124gr FMJ. Running in the range of 1080-1100 FPS thru my M&P.

I have been loading for about a year and a half now.
I had a lee loadmaster progressive, but just sold it to fellow green NES'er N1HEU last weekend.
OK, glad to hear

I am running 5.6gr of Alliant Power Pistol under a 124gr FMJ. Running in the range of 1080-1100 FPS thru my M&P.
Do you get a lot of flash with the power pistol? I'm still finding the right load of W231 over 125gr LRN with my M&P. The chrono arrived last night so that should give me some additional feedback.

Do you get a lot of flash with the power pistol? I'm still finding the right load of W231 over 125gr LRN with my M&P. The chrono arrived last night so that should give me some additional feedback.

I'm not sure about the flash, as I usually don't shoot in low light.
I am going to try IDPA, so I'm sure i will get some low-light shooting in. I will report back.

The first load i ever made was 4.3gr of W231 under a 124gr FMJ. They clocked in at right around 1000fps. I may revisit that load sometime and slightly up the charge. They do cycle, but they are marginal.

Steve

Congrats on going "Blue".
I've been using the RL550 for over 15 years and it's the best investment I ever made in the reloading hobby. I currently reload 18 different calibers from .32 ACP to 8mm Mauser.

Steve

Congrats on the Dillon!!! It's the best way to go for sure. I have a 1050 with a bullet feeder and I cranked out 300 rounds in 9 minutes the other day.

the 550 is a great press and can load almost anything. Let us know if you have any questions.

Pete

Congrats on going "Blue".
I've been using the RL550 for over 15 years and it's the best investment I ever made in the reloading hobby. I currently reload 18 different calibers from .32 ACP to 8mm Mauser.

Whats your load you run on your 8mm? Been buying some good surplus cheap but have like 400rnds of fired brass I want to use for reloading. (berdan tool needed.... shakes head sighs....) not sure if I should just dump em and buy fresh brass or not...

115 grain FMJ loade with 5 grains of Bullseye 1.15 OAL works great in mine.

115gr FMJ's under 5.0gr of W231 is rather accurate in my glock 19 as well.

300 rounds on your first session? ballsy! i never load more than 30 on a new load without testing them. something about a buddy of mine telling me a story of a new reloader....got his press, loaded up something like 2k 9mm, just to find out he screwed up, and loaded up a round that wouldn't work properly in his guns. needless to say, the warning worked on me :)

I watched these at work yesterday and They sealed the deal for me. I plan on picking up a press in the next week or 2. Just have to decide which one to go with.
I've got both but really like the Powder Check System on the 650 because I only use TiteGroup which doesn't take up alot of room in the brass. Just one more thing to prevent human error. The 550 and 650 are both great presses and I'm sure you'll be happy with whichever you decide on.

Back
Top Bottom