New Delay in Dartmouth MA Licensing

Maybe call the state AG? Your civil rights are being trampled! [rofl]
Do this. Document everything, who you talk to and when. She says she's about enforcing the law, and the AG is supposed to look into gov misconduct. Get her on record refusing to do something. Or better yet she does something to cover her own ass, the CoPs will think twice about supporting he BS in the future.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Four years ago it took me 11mo this from Go to Get in Dartmouth. Seems like not much has changed.

Four years ago it took me 11mo this from Go to Get in Dartmouth. Seems like not much has changed.
Did the licensing officer die unexpectedly four years ago as well?

It really only takes one or two people to get a smack down going on the PD. Problem is few people are willing to be the squeaky wheel.

The easiest and usually most effective thing people can do if their PD is not taking or processing application is to complain. Dartmouth has a five member select board. Call or write them. I can assure you that elected town officials just love to get calls complaining about the police department's poor customer service. This applies to any town.

If you haven't done this one simple thing, you don't really have any business complaining about it on NES. Just to get the ball rolling here's a link to the Dartmouth Select Board and their emails: https://www.town.dartmouth.ma.us/select-board

BTW: The board meets tomorrow night at 6:30.

No, the licensing officer hadn’t just died, but I did not do a thing about it. At the time I was mostly worried that making a stink would lead them to deny a LTC, at least without restrictions. I am coming up on my renewal time in a bout a year so maybe I should start stinking it up now.

Just renewed in Freetown, called last week of sept. Booked an appointment for oct. 3rd. New ltc was in my mailbox nov. 10. Well under the 45 days. My original ltc I got in New Bedford and it took about 3months to get an appointment and another 2-3months till I got the LTC.

Just renewed mine. Was told by the clerk at the department it was averaging 10 weeks for renewals. From the time I initially walked into the department to set up the renewal appointment to the time the renewal landed in my mailbox, under 4 weeks. Very pleasantly surprised.

Did the licensing officer die unexpectedly four years ago as well?

It really only takes one or two people to get a smack down going on the PD. Problem is few people are willing to be the squeaky wheel.

The easiest and usually most effective thing people can do if their PD is not taking or processing application is to complain. Dartmouth has a five member select board. Call or write them. I can assure you that elected town officials just love to get calls complaining about the police department's poor customer service. This applies to any town.

If you haven't done this one simple thing, you don't really have any business complaining about it on NES. Just to get the ball rolling here's a link to the Dartmouth Select Board and their emails: https://www.town.dartmouth.ma.us/select-board

BTW: The board meets tomorrow night at 6:30.

not really complaining, doing more of telling everyone about my experience so far. And after all, isn’t the point of forums like this to communicate with each other about our experiences ?

This might make a good letter to the editor:

Today I went to register to vote at my town hall. I was informed that, unfortunately, the registrar of voters had passed away unexpectedly. The town will not have a new registrar of voters trained and in place for 6 months. I will not be able to attend the upcoming town meeting, vote in the town election, nor vote in the state primaries. I'm being told that I just need to be patient and that my rights can wait.

If this were really a story about voting rights, it would never happen. The attorney general would swoop in and force the town to respect my voting rights. However, this same situation is happening today in Dartmouth and other towns, where the constitutionally protected civil right to keep and bear arms is being denied because the town refuses to replace and train a firearms licensing officer in a timely manner. A right delayed is a right denied.

I have a friendly town. But it takes 3 calls to get an appointment usually 6 weeks or so out. Then I wait and wait for the license to get mailed to me.

My wife? She gets appointments same-week and gets her lic within a month, at worst.

It could be a coincidence. Hers was last year. Mine is in a year. We shall see.

It’s the inconsistency that has to be corrected.

i moved from a supposedly green town, that gave out B ltc after the massive stonewall for months b.s.

to all but the townie connected,

to a rural town , whe the phone call went like this”

Hi, welcome to town, is this Thursday convent for you?

the current turn around is 8 weeks.”

done and done.

I was standing at the L.O ‘s desk after the interview was over, not realizing that it was actually finished,

Kinda stunned that I was treated so well,

when he he looked up and said” so anything else ?”

i said ,no I’ve never had a renewal go so quickly,and professionally before”.

i had to check my gps out in in the parking lot to see if I was actually in N.H [smile]

Last edited:
It’s the inconsistency that has to be corrected.

i moved from a supposedly green town, that gave out B ltc after the massive stonewall for months b.s.

to all but the townie connected,

to a rural town , whe the phone call went like this”

Hi, welcome to town, is this Thursday convent for you?

the current turn around is 8 weeks.”

done and done.

I was standing at the L.O ‘s desk after the interview was over, not realizing that it was actually finished,

Kinda stunned that I was treated so well,

when he he looked up and said” so anything else ?”

i said ,no I’ve never had a renewal go so quickly,and professionally before”.

i had to check my gps out in in the parking lot to see if I was actually in N.H [smile]

My renewal was pretty similar (maybe even easier) last February. I called up to ask for an appointment and was told to come in and drop off the paperwork. The next morning, the lady took the paperwork, snapped a new picture of me, and gave my daughter a couple of stickers...the joy of a good small town. My paperwork was submitted to the state that day (though there was a few week lead time on their part).

not really complaining, doing more of telling everyone about my experience so far. And after all, isn’t the point of forums like this to communicate with each other about our experiences ?
I get it, it doesn't bother you. It bothers me and many others here a lot. Besides the fact that the PD doesn't take seriously that they're delaying your exercise of a fundamental right, we should expect our government to be more responsive and to provide better customer service. I don't care if it's a dog license, we should expect better from our public servants.

This might make a good letter to the editor:

Today I went to register to vote at my town hall. I was informed that, unfortunately, the registrar of voters had passed away unexpectedly. The town will not have a new registrar of voters trained and in place for 6 months. I will not be able to attend the upcoming town meeting, vote in the town election, nor vote in the state primaries. I'm being told that I just need to be patient and that my rights can wait.

If this were really a story about voting rights, it would never happen. The attorney general would swoop in and force the town to respect my voting rights. However, this same situation is happening today in Dartmouth and other towns, where the constitutionally protected civil right to keep and bear arms is being denied because the town refuses to replace and train a firearms licensing officer in a timely manner. A right delayed is a right denied.
Nice. Please send it.

There is another word for "Squeaky wheel", it's "Unsuitable". Retaliation by the LO is easy when the law says it's ok.

I've posted this before. My wife and I walked into our county office here in Georgia without an appointment, without any notice. Filled out our paperwork. Eight days later they called us and we went back and picked up our weapons permits. It's the SAME DAMN PROCESS. They verified who we were, verified that we were residents, took our fingerprints, sent them to the FBI, did the background checks and issued us permits when it all came back clean. EIGHT DAYS. The same process took me 12 weeks in Connecticut. There's NO REASON for the delay other than the fact that the people running the system want to make it take that long.

Seriously? 8 Days? That's still unacceptably long for what you're getting.

My Pennsylvania permit took exactly 15 minutes from the time I parked my car at the county courthouse to the time I got back into it with carry permit in hand, and I would estimate that about half of that time was the time I spent filling out the application paperwork. The nice lady in the Sheriff's office who had to call in to Harrisburg for the license number even apologized for the longer than average wait. She couldn't comprehend the fact that it took me 12 weeks just to get my MA LTC.

There is another word for "Squeaky wheel", it's "Unsuitable". Retaliation by the LO is easy when the law says it's ok.

I totally disagree. Once challenged by his boss, he wouldn't dare exact revenge. BTDT a number of times to more than 1 chief and I'm still standing tall.

I totally disagree. Once challenged by his boss, he wouldn't dare exact revenge. BTDT a number of times to more than 1 chief and I'm still standing tall.
But you have a number of connections and a history with LE. Someone without connections, LE history, essentially a fist time LTC is likely to get a different reaction. IMO

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

^Tru dat. If Len hasn't been deemed 'unsuitable' after all his bellyaching the rest of us are surely safe.

Seriously though, I wouldn't be even remotely concerned about being denied a license in retaliation for complaining to my elected officials. You'd be surprised how many times I've heard "I had an appointment two days after calling the mayor's office", or "the licensing office returned my call 20 minutes after I got off the phone with the chief". Government can't be responsive if you don't provide feedback. It pays to speak up.

Last edited:
^Tru dat. If Len hasn't been deemed 'unsuitable' after all his bellyaching the rest of us are surly safe.

Seriously though, I wouldn't be even remotely concerned about being denied a license in retaliation for complaining to my elected officials. You'd be surprised how many times I've heard "I had an appointment two days after calling the mayor's office", or "the licensing office returned my call 20 minutes after I got off the phone with the chief". Government can't be responsive if you don't provide feedback. It pays to speak up.

[rofl] No, I don't think you have to be surly to be safe! [rofl]

if this is the case nothing has changed. I️ called this week to make an appointment and it took four days to get in touch with the LO. When I️ finally did, he gave me a date for February. That’s just about 3.5 months. I️ was taken back, but did not want to put up much of a stink to give them a reason to give me a full ltc.

Took me 5 weeks total to get it here and I'm not even a citizen

So yea super old thread but Dartmouth was super easy to renew. Less than 2 months. Didn't even bother me for a new picture they somehow pulled my driver's license photo that I renewed last May. As for fingerprints they must have just used what was on file. Easy no hassle 👌

Back
Top Bottom