New build AR FTE - need help! UPDATE***FIXED!

TZCHRIS

NES Member
Finally got my new build to the range, AR 15, I am getting a failure to extract! 3 types of ammo, same results. Gas tube is lined up and clean. Round is not stuck it seems to be the bolt? Got it home and took a closer look. I can drop in a spent case, close the bolt and when I try to manually extract the bolt comes back about 1/4 inch and gets stuck? If I now close the bolt again the second try extracts nice and easy? I repeated this about 10 times with same resuts, first pull of the bolt and it seems to jam, re close and second attempt is fine. The bolt is an older Colt that I completely rebuilt. With no round the bolt opens and closes like butter, no issues. Please help? Thanks, Chris

SEE POST #6 FOR UPDATE

SEE POST #25 FOR FINAL UPDATE

Last edited:
If you have another AR available, try swapping bolts. That will help narrow down whether the problem is in the bolt or something else (chamber?)

After checking the bolt for 2 hours I decide check gas tube and I find the .062 dia port in barrel and a .062 pin bottoms out .250 down (will not go thru) so I poke a .020 pin and just makes it thru to barrel? seams like a burr or better yet the port was not drilled thru all the way, I am assuming this .062 dia should go thru the barrel wall but I would like this comfirmed? New ESS barrel. The other issue is if I ream the hole thru what kind of burr might be left behind in barrel??????????[crying]

This would not explain why you are not ejecting when you pull the charging handle back.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not saying it isn't a problem, just that it isn't the first problem.

This would not explain why you are not ejecting when you pull the charging handle back.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not saying it isn't a problem, just that it isn't the first problem.

No it does eject with a pull of the charging handle, I just wasnt pulling very hard but all my attemps with a swit pull of the handle worked fine.

The gas port wasn't drilled all the way through? Are you sure?

Absolutely positive! The spec is .063 dia and the .062 pin will not break thru, only goes .240 deep

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, so it isn't cycling? Is it sending the bolt back at all? Can you hear a twang in the buttstock when you fire it?

Bolt not even attempting to move when I fire a round, but hand ejects

If gas port isn't drilled all the way through, then that would explain it. I personally would not try reaming it out on my own. If it was a new barrel, they should send you a replacement or fix it for you . If they won't, I would take it to a gunsmith and have them do the work.

- - - Updated - - -

If you put a flashlight down the barrel can you see a light where the gas port is?

If you put a flashlight down the barrel can you see a light where the gas port is?

Tried it, cant see anything, I think I can hand ream this out no problem 20 years for me in a machine shop I'm not letting this thing kick my butt! I will try to fix and get it out tomorrow and update the post. Thanks

You might not have to punch it through that far. Just try it. That is your problem right there. ESS is a bunch of clowns. That should have been caught in the QC department before it even left their shop.

Re: New build AR FTE - need help! UPDATE***

Which type of barrel did you buy? M4 so com etc...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

OK, drilled out the gas port, piece of cake, it was almost thru just had to finish it up. Now its back together and I 'dry' cycle the bolt using charging handle and sometimes its ok and then its stuck! after staring at this thing for hours it appears that the cam thing on the BCG seams to stick when the bolt gets about 1/4 way out? Nothing looks or feels worn on bolt. I am lost and frustrated and ready to start drinking heavy! I guess I need to find another BCG and try it.

If you want to come to my house, I'll let you try one of my BCG's.

We can check the headspace again too to make sure that's ok.

Look in the upper receiver, see if the cam key is hitting the cut out in the receiver. Also take out the bolt, drop in the bcg and make sure it moves freely and the gas key/tube are aligned

Neil, may take you up on the offer, thanks.

Just put in a live round for kicks and it ejected perfect (obviously didnt fire it in the basement) cycled that round 10 times perfect. grabbed another round, stuck on extraction, not the round, the bolt, I swear it feels like the cam action getting stuck 1/4 inch out when I pull the charging handle but why one round works every time then the next one its all F'd up. I'm lost. Tomorrow is another day although its mothers day I may not get too much 'alone' time with my guns![sad]

I would disassemble your BCG then reassemble just to make sure everything is lined up OK with the cam pin. Then try again. I don't see how the cam pin could be installed out of position, but worth a try. You rebuilt the bolt, does everything seem to function OK (extractor), is a pin sticking out a little too far and binding when it is cycled?

Neil, may take you up on the offer, thanks.

Just put in a live round for kicks and it ejected perfect (obviously didnt fire it in the basement) cycled that round 10 times perfect. grabbed another round, stuck on extraction, not the round, the bolt, I swear it feels like the cam action getting stuck 1/4 inch out when I pull the charging handle but why one round works every time then the next one its all F'd up. I'm lost. Tomorrow is another day although its mothers day I may not get too much 'alone' time with my guns![sad]

All set! got it out today, she is a beauty! Its amazing with the gas port drilled thru to barel the thing actually ejects as it is supposed to! They need some better final inspection over there at ESS!

Back
Top Bottom